Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

I think the only thing I don't like with trading with kids is sometimes there parents have no idea what they are. Doing and it takes 2+ weeks to receive your end because the have no cars or money.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See manningcollector's Items on eBay

For the people commenting on the "future collector's of the hobby"... I don't think everything is being taken into account. We certainly don't want to discourage collecting/trading/buying.... but I don't think the on-line setting is the proper place. The hobby originates because kids get to see shows, hobby shops, etc.... nobody is enticed into collecting from on-line trading sites (so at least I think). The story about the 12 year old at the show is wonderful, that will keep the hobby alive. However, that same 12 year old should not be trading or buying on a forum unless a parent is a member and on together with them. That type of thing could be a great bonding experience and in that instance you are dealing with an adult, not directly with a child. Nobody under the legal age to drive should be on this type of forum buying/selling/or trading....... If someone can't leave the house when they chose then who knows when anything could be mailed, if parents would even be willing to support such a hobby. It just doesn't make sense..... I would sell in person to someone of any age, nobody is too young to enjoy the hobby... but complications of on-line aspects make it difficult for the younger population.

SCF Rewards
    Country

age means nothing
    there are 10 year olds more mature than 50 year olds
    seriously, age is the stupidest thing known to man, its just a number, it means nothing

17 and 364 days old, you cant do anything
    18 years old, youre now all of a sudden youre an adult, nd can vote, drink, smoke, gamble, buy, sell, sign, move out, etc
    one day really changes you into an adult?

trust me, i know 16 year old adults, and i also know 35 year old toddlers
    maturity, not age

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

For the people commenting on the "future collector's of the hobby"... I don't think everything is being taken into account. We certainly don't want to discourage collecting/trading/buying.... but I don't think the on-line setting is the proper place. The hobby originates because kids get to see shows, hobby shops, etc.... nobody is enticed into collecting from on-line trading sites (so at least I think). The story about the 12 year old at the show is wonderful, that will keep the hobby alive. However, that same 12 year old should not be trading or buying on a forum unless a parent is a member and on together with them. That type of thing could be a great bonding experience and in that instance you are dealing with an adult, not directly with a child. Nobody under the legal age to drive should be on this type of forum buying/selling/or trading....... If someone can't leave the house when they chose then who knows when anything could be mailed, if parents would even be willing to support such a hobby. It just doesn't make sense..... I would sell in person to someone of any age, nobody is too young to enjoy the hobby... but complications of on-line aspects make it difficult for the younger population.

I agree. On Saturday I couldn't believe how many kids were in the LCS. I haven't seen so many smiling in a card shop since 91 or 92. It's easy to look at the online world and think there aren't many kids to keep the hobby going in the future, but I don't believe that. Kids are buying packs and blasters at retail locations with their parents, not heading to the LCS with $300 to pick up some traders. I'm sure it's not at early 90s levels but kids take their cards to school and trade, or trade at home with friends. That's why we don't see them much.
    And that's the way it's supposed to be.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I agree. On Saturday I couldn't believe how many kids were in the LCS. I haven't seen so many smiling in a card shop since 91 or 92. It's easy to look at the online world and think there aren't many kids to keep the hobby going in the future, but I don't believe that. Kids are buying packs and blasters at retail locations with their parents, not heading to the LCS with $300 to pick up some traders. I'm sure it's not at early 90s levels but kids take their cards to school and trade, or trade at home with friends. That's why we don't see them much.

exactly, when i was a kid it was, go buy packs when grocery shopping with mom, or go to a hobby shop on the weekend and buy a few packs, put all cards in binder, take binder to school or froends house, make trades

it was all base and inserts, not many high end cards, and there was no ebay, or patches etc

when they get older, they will then go buy boxes, autos, patches, and start trading online etc.

most kids dont start collecting the cup, when i was a kid it was mcdonalds, opeechee and mvp(all blasters, tins, packs, and then go trade for your favorite players, etc

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See manningcollector's Items on eBay

couldnt say it better....just thinking about this topic really makes me realize the quality of item I bought over the years and how it changes over time..... but in the end the job someone has dictates what product they will end up with

exactly, when i was a kid it was, go buy packs when grocery shopping with mom, or go to a hobby shop on the weekend and buy a few packs, put all cards in binder, take binder to school or froends house, make trades

it was all base and inserts, not many high end cards, and there was no ebay, or patches etc

when they get older, they will then go buy boxes, autos, patches, and start trading online etc.

most kids dont start collecting the cup, when i was a kid it was mcdonalds, opeechee and mvp(all blasters, tins, packs, and then go trade for your favorite players, etc

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See harpercollector's Items on eBay

Agreed 110%. And because I myself am a kid, I know there are also other places online besides SCF where kids buy, sell, and trade and that is YouTube. There is a huge group of people (majority of them kids) that make videos of maildays. I find that YouTube appeals more to kids who are less serious about collecting because almost every kid knows how to operate YouTube while learning how to navigate on a new site like here can be a challenge. Kids are the future of collecting and I still believe that when trading with a young person, you should use your best judgement(on a situational basis). Oh and if you don't think kids nowadays are enjoying the hobby as much as in the past, check out this video one of my friends on YouTube made .
    Oh and by the way, besides the first sentence,this reply wasn't meant to be aimed at you Wick, I just agreed wholeheartedly with what you said :)

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (117)
    Country

I stay away from anyone that has less than 20 feedback on here and anyone I deal with on ebay has to have over 100 feedback. It's just common sense to me. I have seen children all over the blog tv community and they just think differently than the majority of us, but you can't really expect much more from them b/c they're so young. I just avoid them, so I don't have problems.

The last child that I dealt with tried convincing to me that book value was more meaningful than sale value and then he just went on to low ball me. Ignored and see you later...

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (117)
    Country

My two cents on how collecting was when I was a kid. When I was really young in the early 80's all we did was play flippsies. I don't have much of a memory of this, but I believe my parents got me cards whenever they went shopping and that's how I got started. I also collected those hockey stickers which are making a come back.

When I started to get into collecting as I got older, I would buy maybe a pack here and there and that was it. So whatever hit I got was a nice bonus. This was throughout highschool and into university about 15 years ago. As I got money to spend on my collection that's when I went gonzo on wax.

Kids are a part of the hobby and a lot of them use their parent's paypal and what not to buy cards online. Some of them collect with their parents and others...Well, Let's not get into that. Bottom line is the hobby has become too expensive for a lot of us and the youth of society are just an example.

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

Card Fights was how we got more cards.

You'd spend hours practicing Card Fighting. 24 cards each stacked on an angle together like a Teepee. Flip a coin to see who goes first and fling Playing Cards, (the gambling ones) at the other guy's 12 teepees. Winner takes all.

Also, shooting marbles in the mid-60's was a huge way to obtain cards. Remember, there was no such thing as an LCS in the 60's or 70's. There was the local Chinese Convenience Store with OPC and Topps at 5 cents per pack, right next to the 2 for 1 cent Spearmint Leaves, the Jaw-Breakers, and the 3 For 1 candy, now called Licorice Kids.

I was lucky as I was a local marbles champion, and I cleaned kids out of many great cards from 1962-1968.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast