Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Winnipeg Jets Boston Bruins
    See timothystar's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

Couldn't hold a candle to Dionne or Perreault.

Actually he did, at least equaled Perreault's production, but without the benefit of a French Connection or Triple Crown type line, aka he did it without the help of very talented line mates.
    Bucket: Hidden Content

Sets: 20 12/13 Artifacts
    Players: Ovechkin, star YG's.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Mats Sundin. Pretty much the Barry Sanders of hockey in my opinion.

That's a pretty huge statement... Barry absolutely dominated. Sundin, not so much. I can agree that neither had the talent around them to succeed, but Barry Sanders is one of the most freakishly talented athletes to play anything, ever.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (38)
    Country
    See golgo*13's Items on eBay

Mats Sundin. Pretty much the Barry Sanders of hockey in my opinion.

No, this would be a better comparison

M.Dionne gets my vote though

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See emersondrive13rocks's Items on eBay

Mats Sundin gets some love from me, especially if guys he was far better than are getting votes.

Same here! The problem is comparing eras where players scored more because there was more offense and less defense! If you look at the talent Sundin had and the players he got to play with in comparison to the other guys mentioned Mats Sundin should be in the top 3 best players never to win a Stanley Cup.

I'm resigned to the fact that Sundin will constantly be under-appreciated in the annuals of hockey history but he never ever played with another superstar player except maybe Mogilny for a couple of seasons.

I'm sorry but Sundin is easily equal in skill and ability to Marcel Dionne. Dionne played in the 70s and 80s. The game changed in the 90s and 2000s when Sundin played. Sundin basically carried his team on his back and had no support like most other superstar players had. The Leafs mismanagement really failed him and should have been able to put together and elite team but never did. I sort of wish Sundin had never been traded from Quebec to the Leafs because if he stayed with that franchise along with Forsberg and Sakic I can only imagine what his stats would look like. Probably 600+ goals and 900+ assists or something like that.

The fact that the Leafs went to 2 Eastern Conference finals is the best playoff performance he was able to achieve is sad to me. I wish he could have won a Stanley Cup as captain of the Leafs.

Obviously I'm highly biased though so yeah just look at my username.

SCF Rewards
    Country

That's a pretty huge statement... Barry absolutely dominated. Sundin, not so much. I can agree that neither had the talent around them to succeed, but Barry Sanders is one of the most freakishly talented athletes to play anything, ever.

I wasn't comparing their talent, just what they did for their respective teams which was basically carry them. Both players were so deserving and would have won had they been on different teams. I guess this conversation is about 'best' and not 'most deserving.' As far as Dionne and Perreault go, I never got to seen them play so I wouldn't know. Mats Sundin on the other hand was one of my favorite players growing up during the 90's.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234