Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See auktions_welpe's Items on eBay

looking for YOUR stories (BGS Grading)

hey everyone,

I am looking for some stories regarding BGS Grading.

What can you tell me ?
    I am thinking of sending in some cards for the first time.

I would send in all my SPA FW RCs of #1 Picks (Kovalchuk, Nash, Fleury etc. up to RNH)
    Some look great and others look "just regular". To me it is: "send them all in or no one"
    (to have the same look for each card)

I would add some cards where I think they look great and should get a high grade.

What kind of grade can be had for the "regular" cards that just don't really have it (some not
    too sharp corners, a bit of white at the edges etc.)

Any guys out there who had the same thoughts (my card looks AWESOME) and got BGS 8 and/or 8.5 back ?
    Do I need some kind of "luck" ? Or is a card that is looking really great almost guaranteed a high grade of 9.5+ ?

Or on the other hand, did someone send in a couple of cards and got high grades out of cards he never
    thought of getting it in the first place ?

And last:
    Any information on how it works from outside US/Canada ? Extra shipping costs back ? problems with customs ?

does it make sense to send the cards to someone I trust from US/Canada ?
    Last edited by Marko; 02-23-2013 at 07:50 AM.

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

hey everyone,

I am looking for some stories regarding BGS Grading.

What can you tell me ?
    I am thinking of sending in some cards for the first time.

I would send in all my SPA FW RCs of #1 Picks (Kovalchuk, Nash, Fleury etc. up to RNH)
    Some look great and others look "just regular". To me it is: "send them all in or no one"
    (to have the same look for each card)

I would add some cards where I think they look great and should get a high grade.

What kind of grade can be had for the "regular" cards that just don't really have it (some not
    too sharp corners, a bit of white at the edges etc.)

Any guys out there who had the same thoughts (my card looks AWESOME) and got BGS 8 and/or 8.5 back ?
    Do I need some kind of "luck" ? Or is a card that is looking really great almost guaranteed a high grade of 9.5+ ?

Or on the other hand, did someone send in a couple of cards and got high grades out of cards he never
    thought of getting it in the first place ?

And last:
    Any information on how it works from outside US/Canada ? Extra shipping costs back ? problems with customs ?

does it make sense to send the cards to someone I trust from US/Canada ?

Why grade cards that just don't have it? That's like throwing $20 Dollar Bills away. Unless the cards are Topps from the 1968-69 Season or older, don't bother. If you send in cards with white edges that are from the 70's to today, they will murder you with lousy grading.

Registering your cards in the mail will cost you a bit, also a greater cost in sending back to Germany. You should e-mail Beckett and find out.

With Beckett it's always a crapshoot. They grade tough, but they are money hungry and will grade anything. They will grade altered cards, which to me is unprofessional, so I'd never use them again. PSA will not grade a cut or altered card. They are more professional.

I am a vintage guy, so I have no use for grading really. Most of the perfect vintage cards I have are lower end base from $2.00 to $20.00, why grade a 70's card that today has a BV of less than $25.00? The few notable ones are all between $50.00 and $200.00, but if I send them in to be graded, I run the risk of never being able to move the cards because price then becomes an issue for the purchaser down the road.

Ask yourself as to why you actually need to grade your cards. That's the question to keep in mind. If it's to make more money for resale, make sure that resale price you have in mind is achievable.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See auktions_welpe's Items on eBay

Ask yourself as to why you actually need to grade your cards. That's the question to keep in mind. If it's to make more money for resale, make sure that resale price you have in mind is achievable.

first I thought of grading after pulling a great looking SPx Crosby RC and then again after pulling a very sharp RNH Ultimate Collection RC. To drive up the value of course, not for selling but more for "knowing".

and the idea came to mind (again) when I got a perfect looking RNH FW AU RC yesterday and as I went through my FW's of #1 picks
    I came to the conclusion, that my Stamkos and Tavares look really great too. And then I had this picture in mind, all of them graded and slabbed in savely for the time being.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

International shipping from BGS can be very pricey - they ship via FedEx so it will run you a pretty penny, especially with the insurance value on those cards.

If you can see right off the hop that the card has imperfections, their professional graders will too. If you come away with anything less than an 8.5 on one of those cards, you have literally devalued it by getting it graded. On any modern card that grades under a 9, you're probably looking at a loss unless it's an exceptionally rare card, and the value is retained through that by the scarcity and security of knowing that at least it's encapsulated in its current state. Case in point - there are two recent examples of sales on a Crosby Trilogy RC - an ungraded copy sold for $105, and a BGS 8.5 sold for $110. Not a lot of value added there, right?

One thing that people sometimes overlook - the surface grade. You can have a card with great corners & edges, and excellent centering, and think it's a prime candidate for a 9.5. Make sure to look over the actual surface of the card too. There are some surfaces that hold up very well and others--acetate and Black Diamond-style foil--that can break down easily. I have a Gorges Ice Premieres Patch /10 that was cruising for at least a 9.5 (perfect centering and 9.5's on the edges and corners) but the surface came back an 8 and dragged it down to a 9 overall. Still very good, and I'm very happy with that because it's a great card, but oh what could have been!

Hope that helps a bit.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content