Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Chicago Blackhawks Atlanta Braves Carolina Panthers

Getting back into it. What to get?

Hi all, jumping back into the hobby after about a ten year break. Used to collect hockey and baseball, but now I think I'm going to focus solely on hockey, specifically Blackhawks, and possibly a few other teams and players I enjoy following. I'm debating as far as what I should get. I have a box of 2012-13 Artifacts on the way, but I'm debating if I should stick with another box of 12-13 Artifacts, go with 12-13 SPGU, or try my hand at 2011-12 Artifacts, or2011-12 SPGU. Decisions, decisions. What does the hive think?

SCF Rewards
    Country

Get some cup hockey.
    I COLLECT HIGH END TRUE AUTO RCS OF LEBRON JAMES, GIANNIS, TOM BRADY, CONNOR MCDAVID & SIDNEY CROSBY.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See hugehitter31's Items on eBay

I like the SP Game used the only issue is the boxes seem very hot and cold this year. And 11-12 product will have better rookies than 12-13.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See dmaksymyshyn's Items on eBay

If you are just getting into Hockey, going with any year SPGU will either A) turn you away, and fast, or B) one of the lucky few that get a killer hit and get hooked. It is extemely rough at times (5 game used and an ok auto)...Artifacts gives you a little more better odds with patches, jerseys, an ok auto...
    I dunno...I am a big fan of ITG stuff, Between the Pipes and Enshrined are a couple of my favorites, but if going with the UD or Panini, Artifacts is a good way to go (especially getting back into it)

SCF Rewards
    Country

Get some cup hockey.

Yeah, The Cup is just a lil bit out of my price range. Right now I'm just getting started back up, and looking for somewhat affordable with a chance of getting a few decent cards. I know The Cup has the hits, I just cannot justify $500 for 5 cards, I would if I could. Anyone have any suggestions outside of upper deck?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See breakawaysc's Items on eBay

12/13 SPGU was really hot when we first got it in but its died right off. Artifacts remains popular. Personally I say go with something from last year so that you can get the better rookie cards. SPA and Rookie Anthology come out in June also. SPA looks like its going to be a monster!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @@oldtimehockey29 See joeaverage67's Items on eBay

Are you looking for quantity or quality? Base / Inserts or GU / Autos? Any and every Hawks card you can get your grubby Hawk-loving hands on (sorry, 30+ years of cheering for the Canucks here) or just the top-end stuff? Box breaks will get you only so much PC material, and the secondary market for most of what you don't want is.........not great. They sure are fun to open tho :D

PLUS, don't forget the 13/14 RC crop is gonna be two years worth, due to the lockout and the weird NHL / NHLPA / Card Manufacturers shenanigans...................

SCF Rewards
    Country

Are you looking for quantity or quality? Base / Inserts or GU / Autos? Any and every Hawks card you can get your grubby Hawk-loving hands on (sorry, 30+ years of cheering for the Canucks here) or just the top-end stuff? Box breaks will get you only so much PC material, and the secondary market for most of what you don't want is.........not great. They sure are fun to open tho :D

PLUS, don't forget the 13/14 RC crop is gonna be two years worth, due to the lockout and the weird NHL / NHLPA / Card Manufacturers shenanigans...................

Not sure what I'm really looking for right yet. Like I said I'm just getting back into it, the box of 2012-13 Artifacts thats on the way is the first cards I've bought in years. I'm not sure what I want yet, I think I just want to try out a few different brands/series to see what trips my trigger, who knows maybe my collecting tastes will change dependent upon what cards I enjoy (which I have no idea of as I havent seen or touched cards in 10 years except for the last week when the bug bit me again and I started researching haha). And it's ok I wont hold being a Canucks fan against you.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @@oldtimehockey29 See joeaverage67's Items on eBay

And it's ok I wont hold being a Canucks fan against you.

Dude, with the year our teams are having, you could at least spare some pity. This time last year I was all "Schneider yayyyy, Crawford ahahhaaaaaa!!!" I can't even hate the Hawks, they're just too good and the old jerk players are alll gone to other teams now :(

You want a cheap(er) fun break?? 12/13 OPC.........every pack has a cool little thing in it, pop-ups, stickers, rainbow parallels, retro parallels, SUPER rare black/whites, rare-ish cloth team logo patches, rare-ish autos..............it's a great way to start in again in my humble opinion :)

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See habs1909_2009's Items on eBay

I'd too say wait for next season, all the products will be loaded with good rookies
    1- P.K Subban - Vlad Guerrero (Expos)
    2- Montreal Canadiens Centennial auto'd (current count: 125)
    3- Brian Gionta 10-11 Panini Certified Mirror Emerald, Black and Big men jersey auto
    Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast