Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What the hell are the Indians doing?

Granted, I'm not a fan of the franchise, but I'm watching the moves the Cleveland Indians are making, and I'm scratching my head. They're spending an awful lot of money for average to below average hitters. If they don't set a Major League record for strikeouts in 2013, I'll be shocked.

The 162 game strikeout averages for the last three seasons of newly-added players:

Michael Bourn, 145 Ks
    Nick Swisher, 147 Ks
    Drew Stubbs, 197 Ks (batted .213 in 2012)
    Mark Reynolds, 211 Ks (batted .211 in 2012)

Add in catcher Carlos Santana, who struck out 101 times last year, second baseman Jason Kipnis with his 109 strikeouts, and shortstop Asdrubal Cabrera with his 99 strikeouts, and there's going to be a lot of whiffing going on at Progressive Field.
    Last edited by the 'stache; 02-12-2013 at 01:57 AM.
    Hidden Content
    Formerly lambeausouth
    Hi, I'm Bill. Cheesehead by birth. Packer and Brewer fanatic by choice.
    I will treat all SCF members with respect. I ask that you please do the same.

The Indians are trying to win games by buying low on guys (relative to the inflated market) and improving their team. Granted they can't pitch still, but atleast they're trying.
    Click banner for tradelist
    Hidden Content
    Dan LeFevour PC 186/283

They're trying to win games the only way a small market team can (aside from firing the whole team up on PEDs). Seems pretty logical to me.

I like what the Indians are doing and will always support them as long as they're keeping Tito employed.

Outside of Bourn, who can at least play defense, the guys they've been signing are awful. Swisher, Stubbs and Reynolds will combine for about 70 home runs, but they'll strike out nearly 600 times.

At least they got Trevor Bauer. He'll be a good pitcher. He'll win a Cy Young for the Indians, then get traded the following year.
    Hidden Content
    Formerly lambeausouth
    Hi, I'm Bill. Cheesehead by birth. Packer and Brewer fanatic by choice.
    I will treat all SCF members with respect. I ask that you please do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by lambeausouth View Post
    Outside of Bourn, who can at least play defense, the guys they've been signing are awful. Swisher, Stubbs and Reynolds will combine for about 70 home runs, but they'll strike out nearly 600 times.

At least they got Trevor Bauer. He'll be a good pitcher. He'll win a Cy Young for the Indians, then get traded the following year.
    Do you just not like Cleveland? lol.

Not sure how Nick Swisher could be awful, the guy consistently puts up a good OBP, and hits for power. Almost every player strikes out a lot in Baseball now. I'm not a fan of the Reynolds signing personally, but it was worth the Indians to take a flyer on Stubbs, though.
    Click banner for tradelist
    Hidden Content
    Dan LeFevour PC 186/283

they also signed jason giambi to minor league contract they are hopeing to bring him up to the main roster asap
    Leaving

Also invited Dice-K and Scott Kazmir to camp. Hoping Kazmir makes a comeback, he is still young (30 I believe) and was always really nice to fans.

Add Dice-K and Kazmir and call us..... CONTENDERS
    Only looking for HOF g/u at the moment that I need for my project. I'll trade by Bv or Sv. It really doesn't matter to me as long as I'm happy with what I'm getting.PLEASE PM ME B/C IT WORKS BEST FOR YOU AND ME!!!Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by snf_sportscollect View Post
    they also signed jason giambi to minor league contract they are hopeing to bring him up to the main roster asap
    No they aren't. Highly unlikely he'll even make the roster unless he has a monster spring.
    Hidden Content
    Collecting: Browns/Cavaliers/Indians GU/Autos
    Ohio State Autos, Jamaal Charles GU/Autos
    Johnson/Mears/Nadeau/Reutimann

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast