Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Just looking at strike outs is a pretty skewed way to judge the offense, don't you think? Here's a blog post that makes a decent argument:
    http://www.theclevelandfan.com/cleve...h-mark-madness

I'm really happy with the moves they've made.....sure, they may have overpaid, but every ML quality starter in his prime gets overpaid. That's the business. The core of younger guys is with the organization now so they have to add some vets (***relevant vets) now or they might as well just blow the whole thing up and start from ground 0 with prospects.

Quote Originally Posted by nadeau01_johnson48 View Post
    No they aren't. Highly unlikely he'll even make the roster unless he has a monster spring.
    Having a monster spring doesn't mean much, example would be the Indians future utility player Ryan Raburn last year. Giambi is pretty much Travis Hafner, though. Both are old, both are slow, both can only DH and both aren't very good at staying on the field.
    Click banner for tradelist
    Hidden Content
    Dan LeFevour PC 186/283

My pops and I were just talking about this. I may not agree with everything their doing but I believe they're heading in the right direction. I have high hopes for this season.

Seems like they are doing what a lot of teams that have been bad for a long time do. Just sign a bunch of guys to try and get the ball park filled and the fans interested and buzzing about the team. I agree with you though that I don't think that they are going to be good.
    Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

Looks like they need to make a new Major League movie cause things really perked up for them after those first few movies were out. Willie Mays Hays and Dorn could really turn that team around.
    Griffey collection: 989 different cards
    looking to accomplish TY Hilton Topps Chrome rainbow - help me
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

The Bourn contract was pretty much right on the money. He's a guy who can bat .300+ out of the lead off spot and steal 30+ bases. The Swisher signing was a bad idea. You know what Swisher is going to give ya, .260 with 20+ homers and 80+ RBIs. Doesn't sound bad, until you realize that he is just about out of his prime years. Considering how they got Reynolds for close to nothing, I'd consider that another good signing. The guy is excellent defensively at both corner positions and has pop. On the same token, he is almost a guaranteed 180+ strikeout guy. This is clearly a team that wants to compete now. After all, they wouldn't be signing guys who are 30+ years old for the future. Overall, I'd say their odds at competing are decent. They are in arguably the worst division in all of baseball. Sadly, they don't even have an outside shot at winning it all.

Without even looking at stats, lets just look at last years starting lineup to this years projected lineup.....

1B: from Kotchman to Swisher......RIDICULOUS UPGRADE
    3B: from Hanahan to Chisenhall......UPGRADE
    DH: from Hafner to Reynolds.....SIGNIFICANT UPGRADE
    OF: from Shelley Duncan and Shin-Soo Choo to Michael Bourn and Drew Stubbs......UPGRADE

I'll assume the rest of the lineup to be a wash since they are the same guys (though I suspect several guys will improve). So if you take a look at who the new guys are replacing....it's not even a close comparison, the Indians lineup has improved by leaps and bounds.

The Indians also picked up much needed bullpen depth from Arizona...the bullpen was all Perez, Pestano, and Smith last year. Also, late season sensation Cody Allen will be back as well as Hagadone from injury and a flame-thrower in Trey Haley will be waiting in Triple-A. A deeper bullpen and better defense should take a lot of pressure off of the starters.

But in reality, starting pitching is what will keep this team from being a legit playoff contender.

But that's where all the WHAT IF's come in. WHAT IF Masterson and/or Ubaldo comes back to form......IF Matsuzaka or Kazmir makes a comeback......IF Carrasco can come back stronger from Tommy John.......IF McAllister can blossom into a solid #3-4 starter.....IF Brett Myers makes a successful transition back to the starting rotation

There's enough guys in the mix with WHAT IFS that leaves me to believe: WHO KNOWS!?! And I'll take that after the garbage job the Indians organization has done over the past few years.
    Last edited by tkraft24; 02-12-2013 at 09:46 PM.

I doubt that they're going to play Swisher at 1st. Reynolds will probably play the majority of the season at 1st. This lineup looks about right.

Lineup Player POS Team AB R HR RBI SB AVG OBP SLG FVal
    1 Michael Bourn OF CLE 615 91 6 52 41 0.268 0.341 0.369 $15
    2 Jason Kipnis 2B CLE 567 83 15 68 21 0.265 0.340 0.407 $14
    3 Asdrubal Cabrera SS CLE 577 79 17 78 10 0.274 0.339 0.428 $16
    4 Nick Swisher OF CLE 485 77 21 75 2 0.264 0.365 0.460 $8
    5 Carlos Santana Catcher CLE 504 80 21 77 4 0.256 0.373 0.448 $16
    6 Mark Reynolds 1B CLE 453 69 25 67 4 0.223 0.333 0.442 $-0
    7 Michael Brantley OF CLE 480 61 7 54 12 0.281 0.345 0.396 $-3
    8 Lonnie Chisenhall 3B CLE 447 56 14 59 4 0.257 0.308 0.414 $-7
    9 Drew Stubbs DH CLE 345 46

Quote Originally Posted by baseballboy2 View Post
    The Bourn contract was pretty much right on the money. He's a guy who can bat .300+ out of the lead off spot and steal 30+ bases. The Swisher signing was a bad idea. You know what Swisher is going to give ya, .260 with 20+ homers and 80+ RBIs. Doesn't sound bad, until you realize that he is just about out of his prime years. Considering how they got Reynolds for close to nothing, I'd consider that another good signing. The guy is excellent defensively at both corner positions and has pop. On the same token, he is almost a guaranteed 180+ strikeout guy. This is clearly a team that wants to compete now. After all, they wouldn't be signing guys who are 30+ years old for the future. Overall, I'd say their odds at competing are decent. They are in arguably the worst division in all of baseball. Sadly, they don't even have an outside shot at winning it all.
    I don't think Bourn has hit .300 ever. He also has a not so great on base %. Swisher can get on base and has pop, so no problems there. Reynolds and Bauer and stubbs were basically free so good there. all around, they are doing a decent job this ofseason offensively. They really needed a decent pitcher or two to anchor the staff......
    Collecting patches and autos of Buckeyes, SF Giants, SF 49ers,Browns, Indians, Cavs. Kevin Randleman and Mark Coleman items....
    Check the bucket for trades.....
    Hidden Content
    The argument can't be broken!

Quote Originally Posted by sanfran22 View Post
    I don't think Bourn has hit .300 ever. He also has a not so great on base %. Swisher can get on base and has pop, so no problems there. Reynolds and Bauer and stubbs were basically free so good there. all around, they are doing a decent job this ofseason offensively. They really needed a decent pitcher or two to anchor the staff......
    No you are correct Bourn has never hit .300 before and I doubt he will since he couldn't do it in his "prime" years. Also for the past 2 years he has led the league in getting thrown out while attempting to steal.
    Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast