Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nadeau01_johnson48 View Post
    I don't understand it. While I don't like Weeden (for multiple reasons), Chudzinski said he wants an over the top air attack. Wouldn't Weeden fit that label perfectly? Hell, all he did his rookie year was throw over his receivers heads in the WCO. What's the point in going out and finding ANOTHER new QB when there's so many other gaping holes on this team? Build the rest of the team, then go find a QB if Weeden turns out to not be the answer (extremely likely).
    Bold part made me laugh LOL

I agree with you. I understand wanting your own QB leading the way, but that has limits. The Browns have so many holes and needs it just seems ignorant to use another 1st round pick on a QB right now. Upgrade the WR corps, beef up the O-line, improve the secondary and LBers and keep your eye open over the next few drafts for a high rated QB to slip in the draft or for an aging but capable veteran to become a free agent.

If Weeden was a desperation pick then using a 1st rounder on another QB is just as much of a desperation pick. Geno Smith will be gone by #6 and as a closet WVU fan (and WV native) who has watched Smith for several years, I can tell you that he isn't a franchise QB and is largely a product of Holgorsen's system (I predict bust or major disappointment). After that the field thins quickly. Glennon or Barkley may climb into the late part of the first round because of desperate teams reaching, but for the Browns to take either one with the 6th pick would be an even bigger desperation move than trading up to get Weeden.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    "Amidst the uncertainties of war, every soldier is entitled to one certainty...that he will not be forgotten.
    Poor is the nation that has no heroes, shameful is the one that, having them...forgets."

Quote Originally Posted by BradyToMoss View Post
    talent or lack of talent aside, i think the guys age is huge concern. isn't he turning 30 soon? so you have to build a contending team and win it all within 5 years before he goes geriatric in football years? good luck.

I laughed when the Browns picked him as picking the old QB early in the draft never seems to work in the few times it has been tried. That said it would be a horrible idea to cut him now.

I am am the Browns GM, I am honest with myself and admitting that I am not winning a SB in the next 3 years. Honestly a playoff appearance would be a success for the franchise at this point. So why keep grabbing desparately after QBs in the draft. Even if they finally nabbed a franchise player, he would suffer from the lack of talent around him.

They need to do some actual team-building. Weeden looks like he could be a decent transitional QB that could make the Browns marginally competitive assuming they added talent in other areas. They could then make a run at a better QB a few years down the road and lower the risk of their abject failure rubbing off on him.
    BUCKET: Hidden Content

Always looking to add to my Giants PC and Inception PC.

I say give Weeden another year. If he isn't good next year, then let's see if we can draft Bridgewater.
    Collecting all Cleveland Teams, Bowling Green State Alumni, South Carolina Alumni, Andre Roberts, Mike Kafka and Baron Davis.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

once again. The definition of insanity is repeating the same actions expecting different results. I think that pretty much defines Cleveland's front office from the owner down for the last 15 years. Completely terrible.
    pc is spectra spectra spectra

Weeden struggled behind a dominant OL and productive running game, I can't imagine how bad he would of been w/ a weak OL.

Quote Originally Posted by nadeau01_johnson48 View Post
    I don't understand it. While I don't like Weeden (for multiple reasons), Chudzinski said he wants an over the top air attack. Wouldn't Weeden fit that label perfectly? Hell, all he did his rookie year was throw over his receivers heads in the WCO. What's the point in going out and finding ANOTHER new QB when there's so many other gaping holes on this team? Build the rest of the team, then go find a QB if Weeden turns out to not be the answer (extremely likely).
    Your team should've drafted Cousins in the 2nd round like I suggested, instead of getting a 60 year old QB.

Evaluating talent isn't the Browns strength, though.
    Click banner for tradelist
    Hidden Content
    Dan LeFevour PC 186/283

In all honesty, I don't see why they were so gung-ho to replace Colt McCoy. With virtually the same receiving corps and no running game he produced 2700 yards and 14 TDs in 13 games in 2011. Upgrading the receiving corps instead of investing in a crapshoot on a 29 year old QB would have been the smart move.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    "Amidst the uncertainties of war, every soldier is entitled to one certainty...that he will not be forgotten.
    Poor is the nation that has no heroes, shameful is the one that, having them...forgets."

I'm one of those guys that believes that a good QB makes average receivers look good. Colt McCoy was not the answer.
    Collecting all Cleveland Teams, Bowling Green State Alumni, South Carolina Alumni, Andre Roberts, Mike Kafka and Baron Davis.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

I don't get it. He isn't that bad. they can't all be Brady/Manning/Luck. Baltimore just won with what was a very middle of the pack QB in terms of numbers. As far as age, well it's like cars - not as much about age as mileage.

Talking about dropping a decent QB and going after one of the free agents or rookies for 2013 is just as dumb as anything the previous administration has done.
    Hidden Content

Find these Bill Dudley inserts and make big $$$
    Dudley Autos: 230 and counting!
    I don't care if you need a week to ship! Perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by selby56 View Post
    I'm one of those guys that believes that a good QB makes average receivers look good. Colt McCoy was not the answer.
    Neither was Weeden. Drafting a QB that is not going to help your team because the QB you have now is not the answer is very bad decision making. Sometimes a team needs to suffer through a rough period for the greater good. I use my Steelers as a great example. From 98-00 we suffered through a really rough period with Kordell Stewart because when we drafted there wasn't a quality QB available. Sure they could have reached for Shaun King with the 13th pick in 1999 or passed on Plaxico Burress with the 8th pick in 2000 to reach for a weak-armed Chad Pennington, but that would not have made them a better team.

Was McCoy the answer? Maybe, maybe not. I know there are several teams out there that wouldn't mind a QB that averages 200 yards and 1 TD per game and completes 58% of his passes. The Ravens and 49ers just went to the Super Bowl with QBs that average very similar numbers.

I also know that drafting a QB every 2 or 3 years and never upgrading the rest of the team won't win games either. Put Tom Brady or Peyton Manning on the current Browns team and they still only win 6 or 7 games because there is no talent on the rest of the team. A team with a HOF QB, crappy receivers, a mediocre running game and a nearly non-existent defense doesn't go to the playoffs.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast