Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Country

Initial start up costs for a card shop

Debating someone. I said $100,000 is a safe number to start a sports card shop. My buddy says $60,000. I am almost certain $60,000 isn't even enough for inventory of cards. Would love some insight on who is right or close to right. Thanks!

SCF Rewards
    Country

I'd say maybe $15k depending on what you want to sell- $5k of that would be your actual start up costs (rent, deposits,etc), $5k in displays (MAYBE) and $5k in merch

SCF Rewards
    Country

Probably depends on what you want for inventory for singles. Before shops use to have a great selection and massive inventory but since the glory days I haven't seen or even heard about many that have a great inventory that you could spend hours going through.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

BANNED

Country

I'd say maybe $15k depending on what you want to sell- $5k of that would be your actual start up costs (rent, deposits,etc), $5k in displays (MAYBE) and $5k in merch

What? 5k wont even get me half of one year for one sport.

Probably depends on what you want for inventory for singles. Before shops use to have a great selection and massive inventory but since the glory days I haven't seen or even heard about many that have a great inventory that you could spend hours going through.

I know if I was actually gonna open a shop, I wouldn't do much with singles. Not to start at least but it's an idea. I'm just saying standard buying and selling product.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See juggernautjake137's Items on eBay

Obviously, the more capital, the better. But, if you're talking bare minimum? I think it depends how you are approaching it. Can you buy product by the case? Are you selling all sports or specializing? Selling other collectibles as well? Don't forget supplies. Display cases are nice. And be ready to work lots of hours since employees are your biggest cost.
    Will you be listing items on ebay during downtime and shipping form there? Where is your location and how much is rent/lease? Oh yeah, you wanna advertise? At least selling at regional card shows? Want your own website. Those are pretty sweet, if not a headache.

After thinking about all that, I'd say the safer estimate would be at least $50,000 to get you started. Remember, most businesses don't show a profit for 5 years on average. Right now, the collectible market is down, so you can and should stock up on inventory because it's a buyer's market. That also means stuff is selling cheaper, including most of your own inventory.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See juggernautjake137's Items on eBay

Thinking about it some more, You're probably right about needing closer to $100,000 to have somewhat of a cushion.

If you open one up, come out swingin' and make it rockin' with box breaks and other innovative and interactive ideas. We old school collectors would eat that $@&% up and maybe it would bring in some of the younger collectors.

BANNED

Country

To really get started, try to include in initial overhead an extra ~$10,000 for a local(-ish) athlete to have a signing session at your store for a Grand Opening.

Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Navy
    Atlanta Braves Tennessee Volunteers Tennessee Titans

From experience.. We are in the startup stages of getting ready to actually do this. Seeing as how we already have most of the memorabilia and singles inventory, we are really only needing supplies, cases and boxes of product, display cases, racks, and the rent and etc. We are looking at 25k.

BANNED

Country

From experience.. We are in the startup stages of getting ready to actually do this. Seeing as how we already have most of the memorabilia and singles inventory, we are really only needing supplies, cases and boxes of product, display cases, racks, and the rent and etc. We are looking at 25k.

Well my reason for $100K was just for one year, cases of every product, it comes out to about $60K+. $25K seems really low for start up cost.

Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Navy
    Atlanta Braves Tennessee Volunteers Tennessee Titans

You don't need the full years product at start. Only the current available product. You then use that products sales to buy future product.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast