Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Country
    Card Cash
    Savings
    Transferred Feedback
    Bench(79)

View my Inventory New
    View my store Beta
    Very good info. I just had mine in a 5000 card count box for my PC players(uptons & Simmons) in toploaders but had extra time today so I went through my Justin Upton collection today since it was snowing here and couldn't do anything else and organized them by year with my game used/autos at front then numerical-alpha order by year starting in 2006. I made dividers for each year and seperated the years that way. Looks nicer just by organizing it. Would have swapped it over to a binder but unless I am collecting a set to me it seems harder to keep organized. Very useful info from everyone here though and the ideas.
    I am an avid Atlanta Braves Auto collector. I am in the process of updating all my autos to a spreadsheet and organizing them. I am always looking for Atlanta Braves RCs Autos and also nice veteran autos.
    Havelist: Hidden Content

Here's a link to the collectibles insurance I alluded to earlier:

http://www.collectinsure.com/

Collectibles Insurance Services. They have a A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau link to BBB rating for them

I've done some reading online of gun enthusiasts, as well as card collectors. Seems they are the standard for insuring whatever we might be buying, from cards to balls and other sports memorabilia.
    Hidden Content
    Formerly lambeausouth
    Hi, I'm Bill. Cheesehead by birth. Packer and Brewer fanatic by choice.
    I will treat all SCF members with respect. I ask that you please do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by xpucksx View Post
    The whole collection has been in a dark cedar closet in my parents house, waiting for a permanent home when I can make the room in my house.
    xpucksx makes a good point here.

"A dark cedar closet". It's really important that cards avoid direct sunlight. The sun will fade a card (or an autograph), then you're stuck. No way to reverse that.
    Hidden Content
    Formerly lambeausouth

As for the safe I'm likely going to buy (probably end of April when I have all my cards scanned, categorized and organized), this First Alert safe is in the lead: link

There's a couple things I'm looking for in my safe. I'm not so much worried about theft as I am fire and water damage (though this one weighs 140 pounds, so nobody is just picking it up off the floor, and making off with it!). I'm actually living with my folks right now because of my back, and this is a really nice neighborhood where crime isn't a huge concern. But my bedroom is on the second floor, so I don't want something too big that I can't move it again later if my spinal surgeon is ever able to fix me, and I can get back to my own place, and working again.

I like this safe because it's pretty good in size (2.14 cubic feet will offer protection for my nicest cards). It is fire rated for an hour at 1700 degrees (keeping the inside to 350 or lower), and it is water proof, so if there were a fire, and the water used to put it out hit the safe, the cards inside would be ok.

I'd put a rechargeable dehumidifier inside (of course, you could always use silica gel desiccants to achieve the same effect). Here's what I'm looking at: link

It doesn't take up a lot of room, and it eliminates any moisture build up concerns I might have. The safe is under $300 (so almost one month's baseball card budget, no big deal), so if this is the one, and I like it, it will provide a nice affordable option for everybody here.

I'll update this thread if I change my mind, or once I get the safe itself.
    Hidden Content
    Formerly lambeausouth

Quote Originally Posted by lambeausouth View Post
    xpucksx makes a good point here.

"A dark cedar closet". It's really important that cards avoid direct sunlight. The sun will fade a card (or an autograph), then you're stuck. No way to reverse that.
    That is also what I am trying to figure out for when I move. I want to display some of my stuff, but am afraid that the light will fade it. I am assuming a normal room light will not do as much damage as the sun? Especially cause it won't be on all the time. I also won't have the luxury of having a cedar closet, but I don't think the cedar really matters...

I also have heard that the old screw down hard cases are bad for cards. Is this true? Some have said that the cards end up sticking to the plastic if they have been in there for a while. I have many cards in these that have been in for 20 years or more. I don't eve plan on taking them out but...
    Hidden Content <- my wants
    most anything I have more than 1 of in my SCF inventory is FT...PM me for info
    Always looking to add to these team collections: Toronto Maple Leafs; Pittsburgh Steelers; Cincinnati Reds; Notre Dame; Team Sweden Hockey

I would never use a screw down case. Ever. If it came between storing my most valuable card in a screw down case, and a toploader and penny sheet, I'd do the toploader 100 times out of 100. All you have to do is screw it down a little too much, and you've started to compress the card itself. Stored for any period of time like that, and the card can stick to the surface. I much prefer magnet cases because there is a dedicated recess for the card. All you have to do is make sure the case is appropriate for the thickness of the card in question.

As far as displaying your cards, xpucksx, the magnet one touches do offer UV protection. I'd have to look into how long the UV protection is good for, but I'm sure there are other display options available for baseball cards. Lots of people display memorabilia without ill effect when the proper precautions are taken. Keep the area the card(s) are being displayed out of direct sunlight, make sure there's no smokers, and keep the room relatively humidity free. That will go a long way to insure your cards stay in good shape while on display.
    Hidden Content
    Formerly lambeausouth

Country
    Card Cash
    Savings
    Transferred Feedback
    Bench(79)

View my Inventory New
    View my store Beta
    As for the safe I'm likely going to buy (probably end of April when I have all my cards scanned, categorized and organized), this First Alert safe is in the lead: link

There's a couple things I'm looking for in my safe. I'm not so much worried about theft as I am fire and water damage (though this one weighs 140 pounds, so nobody is just picking it up off the floor, and making off with it!). I'm actually living with my folks right now because of my back, and this is a really nice neighborhood where crime isn't a huge concern. But my bedroom is on the second floor, so I don't want something too big that I can't move it again later if my spinal surgeon is ever able to fix me, and I can get back to my own place, and working again.

I like this safe because it's pretty good in size (2.14 cubic feet will offer protection for my nicest cards). It is fire rated for an hour at 1700 degrees (keeping the inside to 350 or lower), and it is water proof, so if there were a fire, and the water used to put it out hit the safe, the cards inside would be ok.

I'd put a rechargeable dehumidifier inside (of course, you could always use silica gel desiccants to achieve the same effect). Here's what I'm looking at: link

It doesn't take up a lot of room, and it eliminates any moisture build up concerns I might have. The safe is under $300 (so almost one month's baseball card budget, no big deal), so if this is the one, and I like it, it will provide a nice affordable option for everybody here.

I'll update this thread if I change my mind, or once I get the safe itself.
    Please do keep us updated. As my Justin Upton collection grows and gets more valuable I will def be looking at options to keep it safe. Lots of great info in this thread
    I am an avid Atlanta Braves Auto collector. I am in the process of updating all my autos to a spreadsheet and organizing them. I am always looking for Atlanta Braves RCs Autos and also nice veteran autos.
    Havelist: Hidden Content

I would never use a screw down case. Ever. If it came between storing my most valuable card in a screw down case, and a toploader and penny sheet, I'd do the toploader 100 times out of 100. All you have to do is screw it down a little too much, and you've started to compress the card itself. Stored for any period of time like that, and the card can stick to the surface. I much prefer magnet cases because there is a dedicated recess for the card. All you have to do is make sure the case is appropriate for the thickness of the card in question.

As far as displaying your cards, xpucksx, the magnet one touches do offer UV protection. I'd have to look into how long the UV protection is good for, but I'm sure there are other display options available for baseball cards. Lots of people display memorabilia without ill effect when the proper precautions are taken. Keep the area the card(s) are being displayed out of direct sunlight, make sure there's no smokers, and keep the room relatively humidity free. That will go a long way to insure your cards stay in good shape while on display.
    yeah. It looks like I will never be taking my cards in screw down holders out (not that I ever planned to anyway). They have been in them for at least 20 years. Thanks for the info tho. When I move into the house again, I plan on probably finding a used showcase from somewhere and using that to display my coolest stuff. Everything else will be in binders or the cardboard boxes, or hanging on the wall in the case of jerseys and posters
    Hidden Content <- my wants
    most anything I have more than 1 of in my SCF inventory is FT...PM me for info
    Always looking to add to these team collections: Toronto Maple Leafs; Pittsburgh Steelers; Cincinnati Reds; Notre Dame; Team Sweden Hockey

Anything of value goes into a sleeve, toploader, and team bag. I have 4 tub-o-wares filled with my nice stuff. Base is just thrown about. :D

I know this is a little bit older thread but I like this binder approach. I orignaly started using them for my film negatives, because they are dust free and be be stacked and lay flat. I currently in the process of piecing my pc collection together and will be going with these, yeah a little more expensive but worth it I think. They hold about 50 ish pages. I also use the linked pages. They are archival quality designed for larger format negatives and photos. I figure they will last long enough to outlast my lifetime.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ith_Rings.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Page_for.html
    Will consider buying Atlanta based teams stuff. Check my for sale stuff things listed or to be listed: cards, comics, magic gathering, hot wheels, die cast, figures, Lego and whatever else I'm tired of looking at. Thanks for looking.

Hidden Content

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast