Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Knicks New York Yankees New York Giants
    See don't have an eBay account...'s Items on eBay

My point is that no one expected Lillard to take off as he did. Obviously panini should try to lock up as many lottery picks as possible. That's common sense. My point is that not many predicted that Lillard would be playing like he is.

I don't see where I gave panini a break. I think everything I said was true.

Come on man! Is Panini in the business of scouting basketball prospects now? Or to manufacture NBA basketball cards? The Portland Trailblazers saw enough to use the 6TH pick on Lillard and immediately thrust him into being their starting point guard. And a start-up company called Leaf saw something in Lillard too and locked him up. I wonder how hard Panini prayed that this kid wouldn't pan out? Much less even be a Rookie of the Year candidate.. Now that has unequivocally backfired on them, eh? I don't want or need Panini to gamble on signing what Lottery players are going to or not going to pan out. What they need to do is concentrate long and hard on how to properly design a basketball card and at the least, lock-up all lottery picks to autograph contracts.

Maybe I'm coming off hard but this is my hobby that I love and have been participating in since I was a kid. Your giving me this impression that it is not Panini's fault they didn't come to terms with Lillard. It is undoubtedly their fault.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Rocksaysits420's Items on eBay

It has nothing to do with what D. Lillard did in SUmmer league or anything like that, Leaf simply offered more money.
    We can say this and that about how or why this happened, however we need to see if this happens with this coming up draft. This could also be a start of things for Leaf making a play on getting players to sigh with them exclusively.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See glaspi2's Items on eBay

It has nothing to do with what D. Lillard did in SUmmer league or anything like that, Leaf simply offered more money.
    We can say this and that about how or why this happened, however we need to see if this happens with this coming up draft. This could also be a start of things for Leaf making a play on getting players to sigh with them exclusively.

Have you seen how many pippen autos they put out already too. They even got karl malone to sign. I predict that if charles barkely decides to sign again it will be a leaf card

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    (5) Sports Card Freaks
    Country
    See andyg2350's Items on eBay

Can anyone tell me why Topps and UD were both able to hold an NBA license whereas now only Panini can? There needs to be another competitor! UD product these days just doesn't do it for me in their college uni.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See glaspi2's Items on eBay

Can anyone tell me why Topps and UD were both able to hold an NBA license whereas now only Panini can? There needs to be another competitor! UD product these days just doesn't do it for me in their college uni.

it was the NBA's decision to make an exclusive trading card deal with one company. whoever offered up the most cash took it and panini was the winner. plain and simple

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Rocksaysits420's Items on eBay

it was the NBA's decision to make an exclusive trading card deal with one company. whoever offered up the most cash took it and panini was the winner. plain and simple

yup, Did I read that Leaf has Beal as well? Things might get interesting here. So upper deck can only picture players in college uni, Leaf is just taking the NBA teams name off the jersey. HMMMMMM

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    NUTS (38)
    Country

When i was younger Panini was a sticker company!! Now they rule the roost, wow! I collected cards most of my life, Upperdeck and topps were what i bought, now getting back into basketball with my son, its the product we can build sets with, not try and pull the "get rich quick" auto or G/U, that we buy. Trading cards have changed, more toward the adult collector, than the average joe just buying to enjoy collecting. You used to be able to have a choice of $50 to $60 boxes of cards,with 36 packs and 10 to 12 cards per pack! nowadays its about the $650 box with 1 pack and 6 cards. What kid can afford that?

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    (5) Sports Card Freaks
    Country
    See andyg2350's Items on eBay

Oh ok, thanks for the info. Poor decision NBA!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Mainecards42's Items on eBay

Come on man! Is Panini in the business of scouting basketball prospects now? Or to manufacture NBA basketball cards? The Portland Trailblazers saw enough to use the 6TH pick on Lillard and immediately thrust him into being their starting point guard. And a start-up company called Leaf saw something in Lillard too and locked him up. I wonder how hard Panini prayed that this kid wouldn't pan out? Much less even be a Rookie of the Year candidate.. Now that has unequivocally backfired on them, eh? I don't want or need Panini to gamble on signing what Lottery players are going to or not going to pan out. What they need to do is concentrate long and hard on how to properly design a basketball card and at the least, lock-up all lottery picks to autograph contracts.

Maybe I'm coming off hard but this is my hobby that I love and have been participating in since I was a kid. Your giving me this impression that it is not Panini's fault they didn't come to terms with Lillard. It is undoubtedly their fault.

Panini first and foremost is a business. That's the way they look at things. Leaf offers him a huge contract to sign cards and panini must choose to either top it or not. They didn't. They can only offer up so much money to each player to sign. They are a business. They get late first round and second round guys to sign cheap I am sure. As Selene mentioned before Leaf threw a lot of money at Malone and he finally signed. Panini has exclusive rights with Durant, Griffin, Irving, Kobe, Wall, Davis, and many more guys. They offer the overall best group of autos of any company.

I have said before that I don't like me of the products panini puts put, so it's not like I am in love with them. People just need to realize its a business first and panini made a choice. Does the choice suck for collectors? Of course.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Knicks New York Yankees New York Giants
    See don't have an eBay account...'s Items on eBay

I'm not sure how business savvy multi-million dollar Panini is if they got outbid by a start-up company named Leaf (who I've never heard of in the basketball world until recently) and who does not have the exclusive contract to be the sole manufacturer of licensed NBA cards. It is pretty preposterous, maybe Panini should charge more for their crap boxes so they can afford to sign rookies?... *rolls eyes*.

Panini is a joke! Imagine Topps, Upper Deck and Fleer being outbid by Press Pass or Sage/Sage Hit for the exclusive signing rights for say....rookie Chris Paul in 2005. There would've been an uprising in the basketball community back then. But since Panini has frustrated old long-time collectors like myself, nobody cares to do anything and heck nothing could even be done probably. The new wave of collectors who have only known Panini just don't know any better.

It is a damn shame what has happened to my/our beloved hobby....I would like to take the time to thank der feher, David Stern and Panini. A match made in Heaven....

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast