Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Bench (22)
    Country

Another question for the pros Paper and ink

I would like to know which paper and print process works best,I have been using a ink jet printer (HP) and high quality (HP) glossy print paper.I use the best settings and the images print great.My problem is when I cut them out in card size the print seem to chip on the very edge in some spots.Anyone have any suggestions on the process or supplies used? Thanks in advance,Steve.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See RockiesFanCards's Items on eBay

For about the last year, I've been using HP's soft gloss photo paper. It has a softer sheen to it, holds ink (especially ball point) better, and tends to chip less on the edges. Another way to prevent chipping is to use a quality blade. I've also switched to titanium blades for my Fiskers trimmer. They're more expensive, but they last longer and have a sharper edge to them. Also, if you're using the method that I describe in my printing tutorial, cutting the cards before the glue completely dries seems to give me the best edges.

If you're matting your photo paper on a thick card stock, I don't know if there is a way to completely avoid chipped edges. The fibrous card stock makes it tough to have a perfect seem around the card.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Bench (22)
    Country

Rockiesfan33,hey bud thanks for responding.I will take your advice on the undried glue and checkout the soft gloss paper.I have a homemade cutter and yes I am cutting into thicker card stock with a finished back.It's almost like I need whatever process they use on photographic paper to make it touchable.With what I use when you touch the card the lsmallest amount of moisture will make the surface tacky.

For about the last year, I've been using HP's soft gloss photo paper. It has a softer sheen to it, holds ink (especially ball point) better, and tends to chip less on the edges. Another way to prevent chipping is to use a quality blade. I've also switched to titanium blades for my Fiskers trimmer. They're more expensive, but they last longer and have a sharper edge to them. Also, if you're using the method that I describe in my printing tutorial, cutting the cards before the glue completely dries seems to give me the best edges.

If you're matting your photo paper on a thick card stock, I don't know if there is a way to completely avoid chipped edges. The fibrous card stock makes it tough to have a perfect seem around the card.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See RockiesFanCards's Items on eBay

The soft gloss is much more moisture-friendly. It still will bleed or fall apart if it gets wet, but the oils or sweat from your hands aren't as terrible for it. I found 4x6 sheets of the paper only available online. I bought a package on eBay for a good price. 8.5x11 sheets are available at most office supply stores.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Bench (22)
    Country

Sounds like it's worth a try.I am still experimenting with sprays and coverings to make the card at least somewhat resistant to moisture and scratches.But still working on that chipping problem first.They may go hand in hand if I can find something that would protect the card and hold it together a little better when cutting a really thick card.Thanks again for your advice bud.

The soft gloss is much more moisture-friendly. It still will bleed or fall apart if it gets wet, but the oils or sweat from your hands aren't as terrible for it. I found 4x6 sheets of the paper only available online. I bought a package on eBay for a good price. 8.5x11 sheets are available at most office supply stores.