Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Quotes

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Cleveland Indians Pittsburgh Penguins Boise State Broncos
    Twitter: @DFWGrapher Instagram:

WARNING: I love quotes. This will be long.

There is a level of cowardice lower than that of the conformist: the fashionable non-conformist.
    - Ayn Rand

Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth.
    - Henry David Thoreau

No intelligent man has any respect for an unjust law.
    - Robert Heinlein

Beware of the man of one book.
    - Thomas Aquinas

He who has never failed somewhere, that man cannot be great.
    - Herman Melville

Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy.
    - H.L. Mencken

Dare to be wrong and to dream.
    - Friedrich von Schiller

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.
    - Robert Heinlein

Of all sexual aberrations, perhaps the most peculiar is chastity.
    - Remy de Gourmont

When the authorities warn you of the dangers of having sex, there is an important lesson to be learned. Do not have sex with the authorities.
    -Matt Groening.

The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights, cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    -Ayn Rand

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
    - Albert Einstein

Did you ever hear anyone say "That work had better be banned because I might read it and it might be very dangerous to me?"
    - Joseph Henry Jackson

There is no glory in battle worth the blood it costs.
    -Dwight Eisenhower

A tyrant is always stirring up some war or other, in order that the people may require a leader.
    -Plato

Thinking men cannot be ruled.
    -Ayn Rand

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose.
    - William Shakespeare

For the average American freedom of speech is simply the freedom to repeat what everyone else is saying and no more.
    - Gore Vidal

These presidential ninnies should stick to throwing out baseballs and leave the important matters to serious people.
    -Gore Vidal

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it.
    -Voltaire

And the day will come, when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the Supreme Being as His Father, in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva, in the brain of Jupiter.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Force and mind are opposites.
    -Ayn Rand

Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.
    -Voltaire

When will the world learn that a million men are of no importance compared with one man?
    - Henry David Thoreau

All persons ought to endeavor to follow what is right, and not what is established.
    - Aristotle

You will not become a saint through other people's sins.
    - Anton Pavlovich Chekhov

It is better to correct your own faults than those of another.
    - Democritus

Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it.
    - Andre Gide

What is hateful to thyself do not do to another. That is the whole Law, the rest is Commentary.
    - Hillel

A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.
    - Edward Abbey

The kind of man who wants the government to adopt and enforce his ideas is always the kind of man whose ideas are idiotic.
    - H.L. Mencken

The only good bureaucrat is one with a pistol at his head. Put it in his hand and it's good-by to the Bill of Rights.
    - H.L. Mencken

The worst government is the most moral. One composed of cynics is often very tolerant and humane. But when fanatics are on top there is no limit to oppression.
    - H.L. Mencken

The mystery of government is not how Washington works but how to make it stop.
    - P.J. O'Rourke

Liberty has never come from government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of government. The history of liberty is the history of resistance.
    - Woodrow Wilson

A society that puts equality ahead of freedom will end up with neither equality nor freedom.
    - Milton Friedman

Political freedom means the absence of coercion of a man by his fellow men.
    - Milton Friedman

Heresy is only another word for freedom of thought.
    - Graham Greene

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.
    - Eric Hoffer

All I ask is equal freedom. When it is denied, as it always is, I take it anyhow.
    - H.L. Mencken

Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.
    - Thomas Sowell

Liberty is not a means to a higher political end. It is itself the highest political end.
    - Lord Acton

What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?
    - Thomas Jefferson

Few men desire liberty; most men wish only for a just master.
    - Sallust

Liberty means responsibility. That is why most men dread it.
    - George Bernard Shaw

Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody.
    - Holden Caulfield (J.D. Salinger)

I'd never yell 'Good Luck!' at anybody. It sounds terrible, when you think about it.

The mark of an immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.
    - Wilhelm Steckel

The more expensive a school is, the more crooks it has - I'm not kidding.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

Last edited by mrveggieman; 02-18-2013 at 01:53 PM. Reason: more quotes
    Drug and smoke free trading.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content cardscomicsmoviesandgames
    Hidden Content darkdemon202404

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See spaz4's Items on eBay

This is always a good one. From George Orwell:

"The war is not meant to be won, it is meant to be continuous. Hierarchical society is only possible on the basis of poverty and ignorance. This new version is the past and no different past can ever have existed. In principle the war effort is always planned to keep society on the brink of starvation. The war is waged by the ruling group against its own subjects and its object is not the victory over either Eurasia or East Asia, but to keep the very structure of society intact."

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See spaz4's Items on eBay

Carlin was one of my favorites. I got to see him live a couple years before he died (or per one of his jokes, "passed away"). He was either the funniest smart guy, or the smartest funny guy ever.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123