Reyes says Marlins owner told him to buy a home in Miami days before he was traded

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/jose-re...172733587.html

Last November, then-Marlins shortstop Jose Reyes sat down to dinner with his boss, owner Jeffrey Loria. The two chatted about the future – specifically, Reyes’ future in Miami. Loria encouraged his star to find a nice house in South Florida.

Days later, Reyes was traded.

That was the story Reyes told Friday here at Blue Jays camp, where he is now starting another spring training as a member of a supposed dream team. The last dream team, as we now know, was built on false promises and empty words. The Marlins, looking like World Series contenders opening a brand new, mostly publicly financed ballpark one year ago, have been mostly dismantled by their owner. Loria's Marlins dealt Reyes, Mark Buehrle, Josh Johnson, John Buck and Emilio Bonifacio to Toronto last November for a few prospects and other players. All the hope for another World Series title in South Florida has, much like Reyes, gone north. Reyes, like star pitcher Buehrle, was only in town for one season.

"He always told me he was never gonna trade me," Reyes said Friday. "He told my agent, 'Get a place here to live.' Before he traded me, days before the trade."

Reyes then went on vacation with his wife and heard a rumor about the trade. "I thought it was a joke," Reyes said. "When I called my agent, he said yes."

Reyes said he was in disbelief for two weeks.
    Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

lol
    Last edited by michigandan; 02-16-2013 at 11:05 PM. Reason: uneccessary post
    have 4242 different cardinals cards

Loria is a loser, having a good idea that you're going to, or trying to trade the player and want him to buy a hose? MLB should try to force him out and not let him back into the sport in any way.
    Click banner for tradelist
    Hidden Content
    Dan LeFevour PC 192/283

Country
    Card Cash
    Savings
    Transferred Feedback
    Bench(79)

View my Inventory New
    View my store Beta
    Loria has run the Marlins into the ground. The fans there are the ones hurting though.
    I am an avid Atlanta Braves Auto collector. I am in the process of updating all my autos to a spreadsheet and organizing them. I am always looking for Atlanta Braves RCs Autos and also nice veteran autos.
    Havelist: Hidden Content

Takes a special sort of person to dump a couple hundred million in player salaries right before openening your new stadium funded by a half-billion in public dollars.

I don't like either of those people... Loria is coming out as a heartless guy, and he has ruined the Marlins franchise. He built up the dream team, built the beautiful ballpark and when he failed after one year, he hit the panic button. Jose Reyes is a clueless guy, so he probably misinterpreted something Loria said... Reyes deserved to play in Miami in front of those fans who will appreciate him. He belongs in Little Havana, not in the Great White North. And as said, the stadium was funded by half a billion dollars of tax money.
    "The Mets have shown me more ways to lose than I even know existed" -Casey Stengel
    Let's go: Mets/Giants/Knicks/Rangers/Wild/Chelsea/Rutgers
    Autographs of Larry Walker, Yadier Molina, Jason Simontacchi, and So Taguchi Wanted!
    Hidden Content