Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

Best Trading Practices: Things You Do That You Wish Everyone Did

I'd like to hear what people do to ensure that their trading partners are well taken care of.

For example:
    A) Answering PMs before posting/bumping threads. I always get back to any PMs even if I am not interested in trading out of respect. I do this bc I don't like when other traders bump threads after ignoring PMs I have sent.

B) I always tape off toploaders to prevent cards from sliding. Tight but not too tight. I also like to use blue painters tape if I have access to it because it is easier to peel off and less risky for accidents.

C) Full disclosure. If there's a dinged corner or a rough edge, I always let my trading partner know even if it is a deal-breaker. I also like when others do this and tell me how they think the card would grade. I don't mind trading for it if I know what I'm getting. I much prefer knowing beforehand to receiving a card and being disappointed.

Hopefully your responses can help me with my etiquette.
    Last edited by gfel2795; 02-16-2013 at 11:24 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Buffalo Sabres Buffalo Bills Carolina Panthers
    See mondo1132's Items on eBay

Def just shipping issues. Once I had someone tape the toploader to a piece of wood. Then when I took it off, the card was completely bent down the middle. I hate taping the top of the toploader too. Just get a teambag! I don't really have a preference for the forums though, I don't mind if people don't respond to me super quickly

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Kessel_fan_87's Items on eBay

Not using scotch tape on top loaders. I hate the sticky residue left behind.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

Skip tape, use team bags.

However, when I do find myself needing to use tape there is one thing I do. I'm not worried about residue because I swap all my cards into new toploaders anyway. But IF you're going to use tape, especially scotch, PLEASE fold one end over on itself so I have a tab to start with. I can't stand fighting with the tape and cutting it leaves the card vulnerable to getting stuck. Just tab the end, that's all I ask.

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

1. When I answer their thread, and say, if you need something, send me a PM as I won't be back here again, and they don't even see the PM part. I always put that part in bold as well. They just answer their own thread thinking that I live there.

It just goes to show that people really don't read anything, or pay little attention.
    Last edited by centrehice; 02-16-2013 at 01:17 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See sortguld's Items on eBay

Preventing cards from sliding out of toploader.
    I tape the outside of the teambag that seems to work well.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I am exclusively a trader and I totally agree with your message, especially point A. In fact, I specifically add members who don't answer my PMs to my ignore list so that we won't ever waste each others valuable time again. I would add a fourth bullet as trading proper etiquette also involves sending BV for BV. There are seperate sections for the buying and selling of cards if SV is what matters to a member, and such members have also wasted valuable trading time opining as to what their cards or my cards would sell for on sites that I don't even visit.

BANNED

Country

I don't care, as long as it is fun and cards come in a timely and safe fashion. I just wish people didn't strickly trade a certain way. I rarely trade now because people just want to win trades.

I am exclusively a trader and I totally agree with your message, especially point A. In fact, I specifically add members who don't answer my PMs to my ignore list so that we won't ever waste each others valuable time again. I would add a fourth bullet as trading proper etiquette also involves sending BV for BV. There are seperate sections for the buying and selling of cards if SV is what matters to a member, and such members have also wasted valuable trading time opining as to what their cards or my cards would sell for on sites that I don't even visit.

Sending BV for BV? I disagree with you there. If two cards book at $300, one sells at $300 one sells at $150, is that a fair trade? No. Look at all the player's club cards from collector's choice. Just because you don't do it doesn't mean everyone has to follow you, why not just agree to values and trade from that. Instead of blocking everyone who trades differently as it seems. Let's try enjoying this hobby.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See prior35's Items on eBay

I'm just sick of people always trying to gouge you transactions. I have lots of High end Luongo's and other goalies, but I often try to buy/trade for singles or inserts I need for sets. I'm 31 and have been trading online for 15 years, yet the majority of people who respond are so out there in their prices/offers I can only assume they think I'm a kid who they can take advantage of. Maybe I need an "I'm An Adult" badge next to my handle :)

And I agree with centreice, I always post in my thread "Will only answer to pm only, no buckets, etc", and the first thing I see is a response going against all I say. People don't read one word of a post. They just see "BUY" and reply with, "check my bucket and make me an offer". What a joke

BANNED

Country

I'm just sick of people always trying to gouge you transactions. I have lots of High end Luongo's and other goalies, but I often try to buy/trade for singles or inserts I need for sets. I'm 31 and have been trading online for 15 years, yet the majority of people who respond are so out there in their prices/offers I can only assume they think I'm a kid who they can take advantage of. Maybe I need an "I'm An Adult" badge next to my handle :)

And I agree with centreice, I always post in my thread "Will only answer to pm only, no buckets, etc", and the first thing I see is a response going against all I say. People don't read one word of a post. They just see "BUY" and reply with, "check my bucket and make me an offer". What a joke

I do find it funny when I see people post in threads, "I am interested in X, PM me." Why can't the member PM me? Instead of posting in the thread that, just PM me.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast