Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Timing your collection

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Devyn0417's Items on eBay

Timing your collection

The nature of the hobby as players values change depending on the day of the week.

Looking at my PC player Tavares right now, playing like a beast and on top of his game, so not really the time to add to the collection but maybe the right time to refocus and trim down some duplicates so forth ?

Anyone else have some experiences to share on timing, whether it worked out positive or negative ?

SCF Rewards
    Country

I think your approach with Tavares is a good one. If you were a dealer, I'd say that now is the time to sell that PC while he's red-hot, and I think it's a good time to move any non-essential pieces or dupes.

I sold a few Jonathan Quick things for a tidy profit after last year's Cup run, and I've done the same with a few others. I'd honestly rather sell before it hits peak, but where there's still some profit, than to hold too long only to see the market for that player crash. The only exception to that would be a player I really collect. Speaking of which, I did hold off on buying much Toews stuff for a while after their Cup run. I then grabbed a bunch of stuff after last year's early playoff exit, over the summer, and during the lockout, all at good prices.

This summer, I also picked up several Tavares and Duchene pieces that I'll likely move this year.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I think your post partially answered your own question. From reading your post it is clear that you view your Tavares cards as an investment vice a collection. In which case you need to ask yourself what might Tavares accomplish over the next several years. Might he win the scoring race or some nice hardware. Will he lead either his team or country to victory in upcoming events. I don't think he has reached his ceiling yet but would caution that based on recent NHL transactions, being an Islander might limit his potential and your investment.

I am a collector and most of my cards that I accumulated over the past 30 years have dropped in value but I still enjoy them and have no plans to cash them in.
    Last edited by piper1; 02-17-2013 at 12:49 PM.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I was very savvy with my Subban collection. On those rare occasions where it was possible during his rookie year I bought low - eBay steals on BIN prices, US-only listings, that kind of thing. Sold all the nice stuff at the end of the rookie season when values were at their peak. Used funds to get nice new Price stuff and so forth. I've slowly been picking up a few more items here and there in recent months as things are at a bit of a low again.

The spring of 2010 was also really good for the Price collection. LOL

My Gorges PC has all been about the timing. Everything up to this year's cards came pretty cheaply compared to what I'll see similar copies sell for today, that's for sure.

I wish that I had gotten in on my Pacioretty collection a little earlier though. I had some decent stuff that I grabbed during his rookie year and then it looked like he wasn't going to pan out, and so I moved some of those cards while there was still a market. Now I'm in on things again.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

My Gagner PC after the 8 point night would probably have sold for 4x the normal price . His YG's usually go for around 4-7$ on the bay but some were hitting 15-20.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

None of my PC players (Steve Kelly, Barry Brust, Danny Watkins) are all that popular, so I've never had to deal with this. However, Just Schultz is going to be added to that and I'm thinking I'm going to hold off on bigger pieces for a couple of years and hope that his being a defenseman can drop what I'm sure are going to be quite high prices.

I'm looking at it as the next step in my collecting. I've never seriously collected a high value player before. Should be fun...and frustrating as all get-out.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See jmlalala's Items on eBay

Was fortunate to start my Callahan PC and pick up a lot of nice rare RC's before he gained popularity with the Rangers. Just sold my Cup Gold Rainbow /43 for almost 4x what I paid for it in 2009, and Cally only has 3 goals this year, so he still sells pretty well now without having too much on the stat sheet.

Side note, if anyone has nice cards of RC's who wont have UD/Panini until 13-14, especially if they're doing well, i suggest you sell sometime this season as they will probably drop once more autos hit the market. Top guys who come to mind are Tarasenko, Yakupov, and Huberdeau....cause i doubt anyone will get $70 for a Tarasenko ITG auto once he has UD/Panini cards out. I was able to get a Huberdeau Goodwins Champs on card auto for $13 a little before the season started. After his 1st game (3 points for him), the next 2 sold for around $38 and $48 if i remember correctly, and now are consistently selling around $30

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

Was fortunate to start my Callahan PC and pick up a lot of nice rare RC's before he gained popularity with the Rangers. Just sold my Cup Gold Rainbow /43 for almost 4x what I paid for it in 2009, and Cally only has 3 goals this year, so he still sells pretty well now without having too much on the stat sheet.

Side note, if anyone has nice cards of RC's who wont have UD/Panini until 13-14, especially if they're doing well, i suggest you sell sometime this season as they will probably drop once more autos hit the market. Top guys who come to mind are Tarasenko, Yakupov, and Huberdeau....cause i doubt anyone will get $70 for a Tarasenko ITG auto once he has UD/Panini cards out. I was able to get a Huberdeau Goodwins Champs on card auto for $13 a little before the season started. After his 1st game (3 points for him), the next 2 sold for around $38 and $48 if i remember correctly, and now are consistently selling around $30

Truth. I sold my two Schultz cards for 4x what I bought them for and I hope to find some cheap again once his cards come out.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See thehockeycard's Items on eBay

I guess I'm all sellers dream. I have very little patience and often buy my cards when the price is high.
    Talking about BAD timing. I just started collecting Tarasenko and it's all but fun to look at completed listings on eBay and what some of the cards listed now went for like 2 month ago.
    I started collecting Tarasenko since I wanted a talented prospect as my new PC guy and sure, the timing is bad but to get those rare cards you have to be willing to spend some cash now. Or at least you need some patience which I don't have :)

Edit*
    My collecting is pure hobby, meaning no thoughts of picking up cards as an investment. I collect only players I like and my intention is to keep everything I buy. Because of that I guess I'm more ok with buying at a high price. Of course though, if possible adding nice cards to your collection at a low price is always better.
    Last edited by hockeykortet; 02-17-2013 at 04:46 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See habscards's Items on eBay

I find that selling cards is all about timing. When the player is hot their cards sell for a whole lot more. As mentioned before last year when Sam Gagner had his eight point game. I had a Gagner Ice rookie /99 and wanted $50 for it. He had his huge night and I threw it up on eBay at $400 with Best Offer. Someone bought it off of me for $300.

Another thing with timing is buy cards during the summer when no hockey is being played. A lot of people will focus on the team that just won the Cup and they collect those guys. All of the other players who have been long eliminated or did not make the playoffs have a big dip in their card sales prices. Once the season starts again people start to collect that player again. My best guy to do this with was Rick Nash. He has some really nice patch cards and I would pick up a nicer card here and there of his. The next season starts and he makes a highlight reel play and then a bunch of people start to collect him again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast