NFL to unveil second aptitude test

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/89...e-test-combine

Looking for "something that's a little more evolved than the Wonderlic," the NFL will introduce a counterpart to the much-criticized intelligence test at this week's combine, according to an NFL.com report.

The new aptitude test is not a replacement for the Wonderlic, which has been used for decades since the exam was introduced in the 1970s by former Dallas Cowboys coach Tom Landry.

National Football Scouting president Jeff Foster said the league spent time developing the new test with a university professor, according to the report.
    Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

these tests don't mean much of anything except for a quarterback. Even then football intelligence is useless if the player can't translate it to the field.
    pc is spectra spectra spectra

My guess is Einstein would have blown the Wonderlic off of the charts...doesn't mean he would have been able to throw an accurate 20 yard out route.

I think football intelligence is easily assessed by watching game film. Does a QB recognize a blitz alignment and make an audible to his hot receivers? Does a DB recognize that a shift in formation means the TE will run a pass route instead of blocking? Does a DE recognize that the FB shifting to his side increases the chances of a run play towards him? You can't test that on paper anyway.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    "Amidst the uncertainties of war, every soldier is entitled to one certainty...that he will not be forgotten.
    Poor is the nation that has no heroes, shameful is the one that, having them...forgets."

Football knowledge is the most important thing, but I do think these tests prove a point to the personnel department and scouts of NFL teams. With the constant changing of coaches, coordinators and schemes it seems like you can get a view of who has the general ability to learn quickly and take whats on paper and apply it to the field. Basically like taking whats on a chalkboard and comprehending it through some of the questions on these tests. I'm not saying these tests are the be all, end all, but I believe they do allow a deeper understanding of the player who takes them.

its supposedly a test to show teams whether or not the player will be able to learn their system effectively and how well, but even then the only player that really matter for is the quarterback. many have tested high and knew the system really well and couldnt convert it to the field. ponder had one of the highest wonderlic scores ever. while he did well at times he is inconsistant to say the least. he's extremely smart, but that much intelligence doesnt mean it will work. i think its good to use it to guage whether a player is a system player or can learn a new one, but its over rated to begin with. what you see on the field is what you will get. film will show you way more than a test will.

Quote Originally Posted by meandsharon11 View Post
    its supposedly a test to show teams whether or not the player will be able to learn their system effectively and how well, but even then the only player that really matter for is the quarterback. many have tested high and knew the system really well and couldnt convert it to the field. ponder had one of the highest wonderlic scores ever. while he did well at times he is inconsistant to say the least. he's extremely smart, but that much intelligence doesnt mean it will work. i think its good to use it to guage whether a player is a system player or can learn a new one, but its over rated to begin with. what you see on the field is what you will get. film will show you way more than a test will.
    This was my understanding of the test. it's an aptitude test, not a test of football smarts. it's how well and individual can process information. i think it's usual to weed out the guys who rely purely on athleticism. vince young anyone. there will always be outliers on both sides of the spectrum but it's a nice start.
    Banner For BucketHidden Content
    Looking For: Gronkowski, Brady, 2011 Certified

Quote Originally Posted by meandsharon11 View Post
    How can film be the only thing that matters? A system QB in college can look great in their college system, but never learn/adapt to a different system. For example a spread QB might not learn/adapt well to a west coast offense.

didn't say film is the only thing that matters. Just that film shows more than a test will. The test is a gauge of intelligence, but shows nothing to prove what a player can do on the field. Some players are really good at playing a certain way. Taking a test simply shows you can retain information and process it in your head. Film will show what a player is capable of doing on the field and will expose their limits and weaknesses. Not just their athletic ability, but also their ability to transition what they know to the field. The more broad their offensive system is in college tells way more that that test ever will. It doesn't show every system they can play in, but it does show whether they can adapt or not.