Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Topps printed 4 BILLION cards of 1991 Topps !?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

In each issue of the old Sports Card magazines that I've been scanning they have a section that is a "Back in Time" where they basically pick a time to look back on. Who was hot, what something was selling for, etc. I haven't scanned any yet until now because they have been pretty boring but I found this tidbit that was interesting:

Topps printed 5.1 million of each of the 792 cards in the set. So 5.1 million multiplied by 792 puts it at over 4 billion cards!
    Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

2. Wata Photo
    Crazy that would be why the late 80s early 90s set aren't worth anything. I like to know topps print run on the newer sets.
    Changing paths, no more set collecting. Just PC'ing Orioles Auto's and Patches.

Sounds about right. That being the case, Donruss must have printed about 50 billion cards in 1990.

Greetings:
    I be more interested in that side article in the corner 'I Had 2 $450,000 Cards and My Mom Threw Them Out' talk about OUCH!!!!!! I am just curious what 2 cards were they and ya kinda wonder what they are worth now.
    "Any ballplayer that doesn't sign Autographs for little kids Ain't an American. He is a Communist"-Rogers Hornsby on Signing an Autograph as a Manager in 1942 with the St. Louis Browns.

S.R.'75

Hidden Content

Not surprised at all. Just finished reading Pete Williams' 1995 book on the history of the Upper Deck company and it states that they produced over 3 billion in 1990 and over 4 billion in 1991, the later of which earned them more than $230 million in sales. The book also chronicles questionable tactics like reprinting and backdating cases and offering cases of cards to shareholders as bonuses.

This was the start of the era when baseball cards became an investment product instead of a hobby. People bought packs to chase rare chase cards the same way people buy scratch tickets - and much the same way many collectors do now.
    Last edited by EtherealSOC; 02-19-2013 at 09:48 AM.
    Stuck in the 90s, I collect all things and everything Hidden Content .
    Hidden Content

Ah, the good ole early 90s, when many dealers would open packs of cards, take out the Ben McDonald's and such, and then reseal the pack. The dealer who rented space from us even could do this on the so-called protective Upper Deck packs. We used to see him do it all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by BSEBALLCOMMISH75 View Post
    Greetings:
    I be more interested in that side article in the corner 'I Had 2 $450,000 Cards and My Mom Threw Them Out' talk about OUCH!!!!!! I am just curious what 2 cards were they and ya kinda wonder what they are worth now.
    It had to be the Honus Wagner card. I can't imagine anything else in 1991 being valued that high or worthy enough to have an article about it other than that.
    Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

I'm not surprised by this. The sheer numbers are still mind-boggling, however.
    Hidden Content
    Formerly lambeausouth
    Hi, I'm Bill. Cheesehead by birth. Packer and Brewer fanatic by choice.
    I will treat all SCF members with respect. I ask that you please do the same.

Country
    Card Cash
    Savings
    Transferred Feedback
    Bench(79)

View my Inventory New
    View my store Beta
    wow thats is crazy to think of how many cards of each are out there.
    I am an avid Atlanta Braves Auto collector. I am in the process of updating all my autos to a spreadsheet and organizing them. I am always looking for Atlanta Braves RCs Autos and also nice veteran autos.
    Havelist: Hidden Content

Almost as many 1991 Topps cards as there are Pete Rose autographed cards out there.
    All my teams stink.

Let us Pray.Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast