Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

01-02 Young Guns: A couple of questions

I'm trying to find a 'sure' answer to these questions, but not having much luck online.

Two questions.....

The first is, Hobby vs Retail.

My understading is that there was basically a parallel set of Young Guns made this year.... Hobby and Retail packs have different looking cards. I think what the case is, is that this is only for series 2?? What distinguishes a hobby card from a retail card?? Is it just knowing the photos?

Also - I know there were some cards that got released "by mistake" this year. Jason Spezza being one of them. These are very tough to find, my impression is that for some cards - only a handful made it into packs. Can someone post a list of these cards (ones that were not supposed to be in packs) with estimates of print runs?

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

01-02 UD Young Guns

Series 1: 180 Base - 51 Young Guns - SP Ratio 1:4 Packs

Series 2: 180 base - 30 Young Guns - SP Ratio 1:4 Packs - 2 Versions of Each - Same BV Price.

The Myterious SP Inserts/Parallels by Mistake:

I think only one - Jared Auline #220 was Inserted in Error - produced in very small qualities, then halted. Only a handful of these cards have been verified. For Beckett record keeping purposes the Auline has the letter "B" behind it, but the #220 card itself does not,

Nothing about a Spezza Error Card, didn't exist, just a rumour.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Spezza Error does exist, near impossible to find though.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Okay, so the Series 2.... 30 Young Guns.... two versions of each. Same value, so I assume (roughly) the same print run.

Is there a way to tell, by looking at the cards, which one is which? Or do I just have to know what I'm looking for based on the photos??

As far as the errors (or whatever you want to call them) I've heard lots of stories about them..... I'll continue to look on the internets for a list of cards people have claimed exist. Very much appriciate any info that anyone else can add though.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Rangers Toronto Blue Jays
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Okay, so the Series 2.... 30 Young Guns.... two versions of each. Same value, so I assume (roughly) the same print run.

Is there a way to tell, by looking at the cards, which one is which? Or do I just have to know what I'm looking for based on the photos??

I am not aware of any notable difference between the hobby and retail versions except for the pictures. It seems from a quick search on COMC and EBay that one version, presumably the Hobby one, is more readily available than the other.

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

Both cards have different numbers and different photos. I have what people would consider a copy of the Hobby Datsyuk Young Gun, but it was pulled from a retail box. I don't think that there were any definitive differences.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI(88)
    Country
    See mog089's Items on eBay

One of the mystery YGs from my pc

Tatu

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (38)
    Country
    See Cantstop17's Items on eBay

Unoffical list of unreleased Rookies ,I've had it for some time ,but can't recall where I got it from.
    2001-02 Upper Deck Young Guns
    212 Ivan Huml
    213 Igor Knyazev
    214 Pavel Vorobiev
    216 Steve Ott
    217 Alexei Smirnov
    218 Stephen Weiss
    219 Mikhail Yakoubov
    220 Jared Aulin
    221 Yanick Lehoux
    222 Ari Ahonen
    223 Raffi Torres
    224 Jason Spezza
    226 Alexander Svitov
    229 Karel Pilar
    230 Brad Boyes

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See hockey_core's Items on eBay

So, how about the Young Guns Exclusives from the Series 2 then? Can anyone say for sure if the Exclusives are a Hobby only thing or were they retail as well?

I´m asking as I got a pc player who has his YG in that years Series 2 and I was assuming I got them all.
    I have three different: YG Hobby?, YG Retail? (different photo) and one YG Exclusive /50 which I guess is the Hobby version.

Am I done with the variants or do I need to look for a 4th card, i.e. "YG Exclusive Retail" with the alternate photo as well?
    Last edited by Svetlov; 02-21-2013 at 08:59 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Michigan Wolverines Seattle Seahawks
    Twitter: @kylemclaren7 See kydollarsign's Items on eBay Instagram:

I would like to bring this thread back; can someone explain to me what happened with the ones that weren't supposed to be in packs or whatever? I'm adding cards to my wantlist but I want to have a comprehensive understanding of what happened. A real good explanation or even a link to one would suffice for me haha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast