Hot-Button Topic: Panini America Prepares 2012 National Treasures Baseball (Gallery

In the interest of full disclosure, know this: I didn’t get to the office until after 1 p.m. today. But I have a really good excuse: I spent my entire morning — and some of my afternoon — over at the Panini America production facility as Stephanie Carlson, Ben Ecklar, Micah Layton and Carlos Torrez put the finishing touches on packout and quality control for 2012 National Treasures Baseball.

Truth be told, there’s no place else I’d rather be following a long weekend on the road — and over the course of the next several days, you’ll understand exactly why. Today, however, we have visual proof that Panini America’s most super-premium baseball product ever is all buttoned up and ready to go.

Indeed, among the myriad magnificent memorabilia inclusions slated for 2012 National Treasures Baseball, perhaps the most unique, most visually arresting and most likely to start a conversation are the product’s many game-worn button cards. These rare cards (most are numbered to six or less) incorporate buttons from game-worn jerseys worn as recently as last season and as far back as early in the last century.

http://paniniamerica.wordpress.com/2...ry/#more-43327
    Hidden Content
    Actions are backed up by words, I wish more of us backed them up!!!
    If you have talent with video editing and would like to join the staff drop me a pm!
    Want to see my tradelist type in doniceage under the Hidden Content .

They're ok cards, but I just can't get into them. Firstly, cards without an MLB license are not "premium cards". They just don't measure up. It's distracting that there's no team logos. They can get as creative as they want with how the player picture is cut, but it's weird.

Second, sticker autos. If you can't get a Yankee logo, then you sure as heck better get on card autos if you're charging big bucks. Fail.

Third. Buttons. Really? So we've gone from jersey swatches, to patches, to "tags", to buttons. Buttons are not interesting. Outside of little color variations, they all pretty much look the same. Outside of a few (the really old ones like Gehrig), they're nondescript. "Oh wow, I spent $100 bucks on a box, and my big hit is an Anthony Gose button with a sticker auto!!" Not exciting at all. What's next, game-worn jock straps?

You wrote a nice article, doniceage. But one pet peeve. "Most unique". One thing can not be more unique than another thing.
    Hidden Content
    Formerly lambeausouth
    Hi, I'm Bill. Cheesehead by birth. Packer and Brewer fanatic by choice.
    I will treat all SCF members with respect. I ask that you please do the same.

Sticker autographs? Really?

I could like this product without a license if it was a lot cheaper but these just look like a bad photographer to the pictures of everyone and somehow managed to take pictures of everyone with the top of their hats cut off. The quality is great though (sticker autographs aside) which makes it even more painful that they don't just wait to get a full baseball license to release something like this. You are wasting all of these game used cards (some of very old players) on products that will be rendered obsolete once Panini makes a license baseball version.

Also a minor complaint on this:

This button card is amazing but the window is so dang small that it almost looks like the button was added on by a faker. Couldn't they have made the window larger and not so cheap looking? Especially when they can't fill the card up with the name of the team or logo they should have ample space to do so.
    Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

Country
    Card Cash
    Savings
    Transferred Feedback
    Bench(79)

View my Inventory New
    View my store Beta
    Quote Originally Posted by lambeausouth View Post
    They're ok cards, but I just can't get into them. Firstly, cards without an MLB license are not "premium cards". They just don't measure up. It's distracting that there's no team logos. They can get as creative as they want with how the player picture is cut, but it's weird.

Second, sticker autos. If you can't get a Yankee logo, then you sure as heck better get on card autos if you're charging big bucks. Fail.

Third. Buttons. Really? So we've gone from jersey swatches, to patches, to "tags", to buttons. Buttons are not interesting. Outside of little color variations, they all pretty much look the same. Outside of a few (the really old ones like Gehrig), they're nondescript. "Oh wow, I spent $100 bucks on a box, and my big hit is an Anthony Gose button with a sticker auto!!" Not exciting at all. What's next, game-worn jock straps?

You wrote a nice article, doniceage. But one pet peeve. "Most unique". One thing can not be more unique than another thing.
    Agree about the sticker autos. Wish Panini would just wait and get a full license. Its distracting to me to look at a player with no team logo on it. I do own a few Panini Justin Upton cards one with a nice patch but it would look 10x better with the team logo on it and all.
    I am an avid Atlanta Braves Auto collector. I am in the process of updating all my autos to a spreadsheet and organizing them. I am always looking for Atlanta Braves RCs Autos and also nice veteran autos.
    Havelist: Hidden Content

All these wasted buttons should've been held back until they can make cards with logo's and on card auto's.I will not blow smoke up Panini's butt,buttons aren't innovative they have been in sets before,and were done a heckuva lot better.I could never see myself spending what these boxes are going to cost,especially for an unlicensed product,come on Panini save your better pieces for when you're fully licensed.
    Do something nice for someone everyday, it will pay off in the long run.

Let us Pray.Hidden Content