Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Like gps said, the only people who make any real money in this hobby is the people that sell the boxes. I've only made my money back on 2 out of the 30 or 40 boxes that I've opened.
    COLLECTING YASIEL PUIG
    WTTF or WTB 2013 Topps Update Emerald US129 David Wright
    Hidden Content <<<CLICK ME>>> Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by gps29070 View Post
    You won't like my answer.

The only possible way to make money is to be a dealer yourself of unopened product (example Bowman Chrome), then being large enough so people will buy those products from you instead of your LCS or the internet. You will NOT NOT NOT make money chasing rookies to flip buying retail. It's like playing the lottery or bingo, you only hear of people winning, you don't hear of the 99% who lose in the long run.

Also remember that top rookies will never, ever increase in value. Mike Trout or Stephen Strasburg will not be worth more in 20 years even if they win 300 games or hit 700 home runs then they are right now. However, a career ending injury to those guys will make those cards effectively worthless. (reference Ben McDonald and 1,000s of others)
    I disagree with the last part... Take Jeter's RC or many many others. They have gone up in value, It all depends if you can sit on a card for 10-15 years

Quote Originally Posted by Dodgersalltheway View Post
    Like gps said, the only people who make any real money in this hobby is the people that sell the boxes. I've only made my money back on 2 out of the 30 or 40 boxes that I've opened.

I don't think that is completely the case. There is money to be made with flipping cards, or larger card deals. I know people that make a good amount of money doing that. There are few that do enough volume to do it full time, but the main thing is that you need a network of people to buy seperate things, like a few high end guys, a few mid level guys, guys that want just jerseys and lower end autos, and then dollar box and below stuff.

Money can be made, however, most money will only be made if you can hold onto a card for 5 years plus.

One thing you could do is look for collections or large lots on Craigslist or eBay and break them down and sell individually, which will probably only get you profit if the cards are pre-1980s (unless it is 1986-87 Fleer Basketball)
    Currently Collecting Cards of Auburn Alumni in ALL Sports, preferably in their College Uniforms!

Hidden Content

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12