Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 31 to 39 of 39
  1. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMan1978 View Post
    Maybe not this case, however, there is a another case where a woman could do 20 years in Florida. I am not sure of her name of all the facts. Her home was broken into, she fired her weapon in the direction of the person. DID NOT hit him. She was charged and now is facing 20 years. Her legal team is trying to use the stand your ground law. So if it not applied correctly. is it then invalid?
    Quote Originally Posted by mrveggieman View Post
    Marissa Alexander is the woman you are talking about. Here is the link:

    http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/11/justic...und-sentencing

    Tell me the difference between Ms. Alexander and Zimmerman again.
    Looking at the situation objectively.

    1) I do not think that she deserved 20 years. However, she was offered a plea and took the trial option instead with the knowledge that if convicted she would do much more time. She gambled and she lost. I feel for her, but think that she used poor judgment or had some poor legal advice.

    2) Part of the reason for her prosecution was child endangerment.

    3) Stand your ground does not apply.

    She said she escaped and ran to the garage, intending to drive away. But, she said, she forgot her keys, so she picked up her gun and went back into the house..."I believe when he threatened to kill me, that's what he was absolutely going to do," she said. "That's what he intended to do. Had I not discharged my weapon at that point, I would not be here."
    Note that she was not attacked before she fired. She felt threatened, but the stand your ground law does not allow for "feeling threatened" as a reason to fire on someone. That is a key difference between her case and the Zimmerman case. By all accounts it appears that Zimmerman was attacked/in a fight with Martin before he fired. Whether he started the fight or Martin started the fight is a key aspect that will decide his case. It remains to be seen if Zimmerman will be able to use the stand your ground defense. It is questionable at best, but just like this woman he is going to try it.

    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    "Amidst the uncertainties of war, every soldier is entitled to one certainty...that he will not be forgotten.
    Poor is the nation that has no heroes, shameful is the one that, having them...forgets."


  2. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by gladdyontherise View Post
    Veggie, if you can prove right now that Martin was just minding his own business, and Zimmerman appeared out of no where, and shot him for no reason, then proceeded to break his own nose, give himself a busted lip, and cut himself on the head to make it look like he was just defending himself, I will never say another word on this topic.
    I will one up you if you can prove without a shawdow of a doubt that Zimmerman was a law abiding citizen without an ounce of mailce or racism in his body, he never provoked try to goad Trayvon and he did exactly what the 9-1-1 then dispatcher told him I'm done with this one.
    Drug and smoke free trading.

    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

  3. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by mrveggieman View Post
    I will one up you if you can prove without a shawdow of a doubt that Zimmerman was a law abiding citizen without an ounce of mailce or racism in his body, he never provoked try to goad Trayvon and he did exactly what the 9-1-1 then dispatcher told him I'm done with this one.
    I get your point, and agree with both sides. There is no proof that Trayvon Martin intended to kill Zimmerman and there is no way for any of us to prove what is in Zimmerman's heart. My one exception is that the 9-1-1 dispatcher has no authority to tell anyone what they can or can not do. He didn't "disobey" the dispatcher because the dispatcher had no say in the matter.

    Example: If someone breaks into my house and is raping my wife and I call 9-1-1 and the dispatcher says "Do nothing until the police get there" do you think I am just going to hang out and watch the rape?

    I realize these are two different situations, but the basic point is that a 9-1-1 operator is not a person of authority. Doing or not doing what they say has no relevance.

    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    "Amidst the uncertainties of war, every soldier is entitled to one certainty...that he will not be forgotten.
    Poor is the nation that has no heroes, shameful is the one that, having them...forgets."


  4. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by mrveggieman View Post
    I will one up you if you can prove without a shawdow of a doubt that Zimmerman was a law abiding citizen without an ounce of mailce or racism in his body, he never provoked try to goad Trayvon and he did exactly what the 9-1-1 then dispatcher told him I'm done with this one.
    I was hoping you would answer the question and not avoid it like you usually do, guess that won't happen.

    One thing we do know is Martin wasn't a law abiding citizen, given his issues with illegal drugs.
    Click banner for tradelist
    Hidden Content
    Dan LeFevour PC 192/283

  5. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by gladdyontherise View Post
    I was hoping you would answer the question and not avoid it like you usually do, guess that won't happen.

    One thing we do know is Martin wasn't a law abiding citizen, given his issues with illegal drugs.
    So because Trayvon may have made some of the same mistakes that most other teenagers made growing up he deserves to be shot and murdered? Oh yeah well all know what type of saint zimmerman was too.
    Drug and smoke free trading.

    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

  6. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by mrveggieman View Post
    So because Trayvon may have made some of the same mistakes that most other teenagers made growing up he deserves to be shot and murdered? Oh yeah well all know what type of saint zimmerman was too.
    I'll wait for you to find where I said that, and here, you continue to not answer my question as well.

    I can say that I have no idea if Zimmerman had no motive, or did have a motive to kill Martin, I haven't come to conclusions like you have, and we all know if Martin wasn't black and Zimmerman wasn't white, this discussion wouldn't still be taking place.
    Click banner for tradelist
    Hidden Content
    Dan LeFevour PC 192/283

  7. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by gladdyontherise View Post
    I'll wait for you to find where I said that, and here, you continue to not answer my question as well.

    I can say that I have no idea if Zimmerman had no motive, or did have a motive to kill Martin, I haven't come to conclusions like you have, and we all know if Martin wasn't black and Zimmerman wasn't white, this discussion wouldn't still be taking place.

    You are quick to throw Trayvon under the bus for his morals but never call out zimmerman for his record. Now you may not be black but keep in mind just like Trayvon you are still young and God forbid that some guy looking for trouble tries to follow you around one night while minding your business because you look "suspicious".
    Drug and smoke free trading.

    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

  8. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by mrveggieman View Post
    You are quick to throw Trayvon under the bus for his morals but never call out zimmerman for his record. Now you may not be black but keep in mind just like Trayvon you are still young and God forbid that some guy looking for trouble tries to follow you around one night while minding your business because you look "suspicious".
    Nope, just trying to counter balance you acting like he's a perfect angel.

    And we've gone over this time and time again, you know my response to the 2nd part, and the only thing I'd be questioned as is dressing poorly probably.

    I'll add again you never answered my initial question....
    Click banner for tradelist
    Hidden Content
    Dan LeFevour PC 192/283

  9. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by gladdyontherise View Post
    Nope, just trying to counter balance you acting like he's a perfect angel.

    And we've gone over this time and time again, you know my response to the 2nd part, and the only thing I'd be questioned as is dressing poorly probably.

    I'll add again you never answered my initial question....
    Your response is that will never happen to me and my response is you must never leave the house. If you leave your house as long as there are clowns like zimmerman walking the street what happened to Trayvon could happen to you or anyone of us.
    Last edited by mrveggieman; 02-28-2013 at 05:22 PM.
    Drug and smoke free trading.

    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •