Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Country

I always try to give fair offers, if I want a card, I'll offer fair market value and most times even more, just for the sake of trading. I've made bad offers in the past as well, usually due to not reasearching the card properly, but I always try to make ammends after I realize my mistake. I've been back in the hobby for four years, and whaile I hate to admit it, I agree with the original post.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

I'd sadly coming to the conclusion that it's not productive to work on most trades/sales (moreso sales) on this or other collecting Boards. I'm routinely able to get better prices by buying/selling on ebay...even AFTER ebay/paypal fees are taken into account on my sales. Most of the people I deal with want "better than ebay" pricing and even better than ebay after subtracting the ebay/paypal fees. So in other words, if they don't get a "great deal" it's not something they're interested in. When it comes to trades, it's easier/cheaper for me to sell my card(s) on ebay, then buy what I want on ebay. Perhaps I'm dealing with too many "resellers"...or perhaps I'm becoming jaded with the "I've got $10 (or $25 or $50 or $100 or whatever amount) paypal to spend for the best offer on XXXX, so send me your offers" posts where people want you to search out cards, scan cards, lay them at their doorstep, figure out a price(s)...then won't touch them unless it's a "great deal" in their favour. Sigh. It's OK to want a fair price but when someone on the other side starts with the expectation they have to get less than market price or it's a "no go" then it's a complete waste of time for me to try and strike a trade/sale with that person.

Perhaps it's a sign of the poor economy that we're now recovering from: some people were desperate for money so vultures wanting to cash in on them took advantage of their precarious financial circumstances and took their cards for way too cheap...and those same vultures now have the expectation they'll continue to score exceptional deals...

I remember a past deal where I contacted a member about a high-end grouping of Cup cards in his photobucket...and offered him a price. His reaction: "FINALLY, a fair offer." We made the deal and he went on to express his displeasure at how hard it was to strike a deal. That was a couple years ago and after repeated similar experiences since then, I now share his view. One reason it worked well between him and I, was that I was collecting for my PC AND not looking to resell...AND I wasn't looking to gouge him...AND I was expecting to pay a fair price.

A sad commentary on this hobby...

It's really funny to me, especially on this site. I had a card I acquired pretty cheaply in a trade (guy wanted some YGs and was willing to give up this card for them) that I put up for sale. After looking at sales on eBay, it would seem that this was a $40-$50 card, though a patch was involved and mine wasn't the nicest. I decided $25 would net me a little honest profit and placing the card in the hands of a collector for relatively cheap. I left it up for a week and nothing. Dropped it to $20 and another week went by with absolutely nothing.

I put it on ebay BIN $30...3 hours later I'm packaging a card for shipment. This is not the first time it's happened (though I did get ridiculous lowball offers on the others). People are so bent on getting great deals they actually pass them up looking for something better.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Tapouttazz9's Items on eBay

Lots of people offer cards you don't really care for I think that's part if the prob... They want to make that deal so bad but don't have a good selection of traders

BANNED

Country

I dont know how you guy feel but if I see one more "Looking for a resale lot" thread im gonna jump off something high lol. When they first started it was a good way to dump a collection or extra traders but now its to the point where people want to pay $200 but only for a lot they can sell to make $600. Now why would you, me or anyone sell a lot for $200 when we can make triple that doing the same thing the buyer plans on doing.

Its getting out of hand to the point where I see "Looking to spend $25 on a resale lot" for $25 you'll be lucky to get more then a lot of some no name young guns and a few BAP Autos.

The only other threads I hate more then that are the "Looking to buy GU/Auto/Patches for $1 each" Then you open it and they only want players like Crosby, Kane, Toews, Brodeur ECT. I personally wont sell a GU/Auto for less then the price of a pack. Just not worth it. Like my sig sayes if you want Ebay Prices go to Ebay. No one looks at Shipping costs anymore but they are the first ones to throw the "Im saving you Ebay fees" Line.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See gallinator's Items on eBay

Well, even though I've been collecting for 30 years, I'm totally new to trading sites/boards and in about 6 months I've managed to do 170+ deals - mostly purchases, some trades and a few sales. I don't feel like I'm overpaying, but I will definitely pay a fair price on cards I want. There are plenty of people out there who overvalue their cards, but there are also many who know how to move them to the right buyer.

The only real annoyance I've had is with the tendency of some people to want to haggle *excessively* and nickle-and-dime you to death - on either side of the deal. I get that some people like to dicker, and that's fine, but after 3 or 4 offers and counters, if we still can't come to a consensus, then it is time to move on!

The other thing I've noticed is people are (understandably) loathe to lose money on a card, even if they are unlikely to ever get close to their money back. I am seeing this with Paul Stastny cards - he was hot for a couple of years but has really had a decline in hobby love lately. This is fine with me, as I collect the Stastnys in remembrance of their defection in the Eighties and subsequent hockey legacy, plus Paul plays for the Avs, so that's even better! I've gotten tons of great deals on eBay on Stastny cards (sometimes under 10% BV) but there are some people on here who want to sell...just not at market price, which is now lower than what they paid for the card. The best I can do in that case is make a fair offer and just wait for the next one to come along if it is refused - time is the friend of the patient collector. If I am selling, I'd rather get what I can when I need the money, rather than fret about how much I've sunk into it.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

I dont know how you guy feel but if I see one more "Looking for a resale lot" thread im gonna jump off something high lol. When they first started it was a good way to dump a collection or extra traders but now its to the point where people want to pay $200 but only for a lot they can sell to make $600. Now why would you, me or anyone sell a lot for $200 when we can make triple that doing the same thing the buyer plans on doing.

Its getting out of hand to the point where I see "Looking to spend $25 on a resale lot" for $25 you'll be lucky to get more then a lot of some no name young guns and a few BAP Autos.

The only other threads I hate more then that are the "Looking to buy GU/Auto/Patches for $1 each" Then you open it and they only want players like Crosby, Kane, Toews, Brodeur ECT. I personally wont sell a GU/Auto for less then the price of a pack. Just not worth it. Like my sig sayes if you want Ebay Prices go to Ebay. No one looks at Shipping costs anymore but they are the first ones to throw the "Im saving you Ebay fees" Line.

I have no problem with people looking for resale lots. For people with lots of cards who don't want to put the work into selling them individually, it can be a great way to make some money back quickly. The thing is, there isn't really supposed to be such a thing as a "resale lot". The trick is supposed to be finding lots of cards that people just want rid of and splitting those up to make the individual-price money. You save the money by doing the work, not by having the seller do all the work only to say, "No thanks, I need a lot that includes a Crosby ARP and I need it to be less than $30. I'm reselling it, idiot!"

Basically, when I see a "looking for resale lot" I see someone advertising that they're actively looking to rip me off. At the same time, getting ripped off can work for me occasionally, even if I don't "need" the money. I quite like to sell because everything I make goes right back into the hobby and, through doing this, I've been able to afford cards and boxes I thought I'd only see behind the counter, all starting from a partial set of YGs and without ever adding money to my paypal. Sometimes I don't mind getting ripped off a little, but when I put together a lot that I know is ripping myself off and the other guy tells me it's not good enough unless I drop the price or add my three top traders, I just want to give up. I've all but stopped selling anything over $10 on this site, since $10 is the absolute most everyone seems to want to spend.

That said, there are a few people here who are fair buyers and great sellers. I recently completed a $100+ sale with a trader here that, overall, took about 3 months to finalize. It was a long but fun negotiation and we came to what we both feel is a fair deal. He's not trying to get it for $50 and I'm not trying to milk him for $150. When both people are on the same page and here for the same reasons, this is an amazing place to be. When someone is obviously looking at your cards with dollar signs in their eyes, this place can feel like a den of thieves. There's a lot of time I think I might be overpricing my cards, but then I think about the card I sold for $60 elsewhere that got no interest at $50 here (but 7 people would take it for around $15-$20) or the other that got no interest at $20 which I then sold for $30, and I continue as I have been. I would chalk these up to 'no one here wanted it at the time' but when it happens over and over with different cards, the odds of that being true drop significantly.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

What bugs me is the lack of negotiation when it comes to trades on this site, sometimes the first offer is perfect, other times the deal needs some tweaking. But that's what it's about, you make an offer, I counter, etc etc. Most of the time I just never hear back from the guy.

So true!!!
    I has missed so many nice PC-cards here and as well at other boards when the buyer/seller gets furious and don't want to negotiationing further,
    impossible for me to trying PM to him/her and trying to making new offers....quite many are just bad with this what a pity!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bobbybruins's Items on eBay

I have many offers out to lunch and try my best to just put them aside but the biggest problem I have with people is after finally coming to a deal, I receive my cards damaged. Then comes the bullsh!t lies. "Sorry man, I didn't notice it when sending", "must be the post office", "still waiting on your package", etc.....
    Just to many of these happening now a day.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See jlai624's Items on eBay

I managed to do a decent amount of deals here. But here are a few things I noticed.

1. Obviously, lower end cards are easier to trade or get rid off. I decided to do the Titanium Game Worn Gear GU Set. I got a great response from that as well as getting some Kariya cards since he's one of my favorite players.

2. I haven't done many trades lately because of mostly time constraints but it's leaning more to the "time needed to make a trade or sale" vs just putting a card on ebay. If I have a card I feel can fetch a decent amount 95% I'm just going to put it up on the bay. I've only had 1 person here whom a trade didn't work out and it took away my 100% rating even though the trade was clearly stated before hand.

Conclusion, there definitely are some great people on this board but the lowball offers on trades/sales... I just don't have time to deal with anymore.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See sdubzz's Items on eBay

In the end .... your cards, your value .... their cards, their value

Most of the time theres an area in the middle where we can meet but sometimes people just overvalue their stuff so much a deal cant be made. Happens enough that it is noticeable but doesnt turn me off of the hobby in the least bit. Everyone wants a Patrick Roy GU for a sticker auto. Sure they may book within $5 but the Roy will net a nicer return from a collector rather than a "flipper". We all flip to some extent but in alot of cases people will tend to be lenient on values if they know you are keeping the card or making a set. However there are also people that know they can jack you and will do so on PC cards. Thats fine by me as long as i get em LOL

In a whole the place is jam packed with awesome people....i havent been here long enough or am not a serious enough collector to have gotten to know them all but ive met a few and heard of many others.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast