Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See IHomerJ's Items on eBay

Crack open a Beckett case?

I love Cup cards, but have never purchased a card graded by Beckett before. I now have one of my dream cards that came in a Beckett case and I hate it (the case, not the card...). While I see its purpose with the thinner more easily damaged cards, especially from the 80's and before, it seems over the top for the already sturdy Cup cards. I keep all my valuable cards in magnetic cases holders, FYI.

I am a man who appreciates being able to hold my cards in my hand (as extraordinarily rare as that may be) and like my cards organized and uniform. In other words: I want the card out of this case and into a regular magnetic case.

If I crack open this case carefully with a Dremel, am I committing some terrible act in the eyes of all other collectors? Am I stupid to be so anal or should I do what I want?

Any opinions appreciated! Thanks!

SCF Rewards
    Country

It negates the grading. If you don't care about keeping the card graded the by all means go for it.

SCF Rewards
    Country

what is the grading? and what is the card? This could be a determining factor.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See samo6575's Items on eBay

I cracked one open before. I hated the case aswell and the grade was 8.5 which is not good.

It depends on the card if its graded 9 or lower and is not a vintage card then I would crack it if you dont like it
    Flickr: Hidden Content

Looking for Penguins, HOF Autos, Vintage Memorabilia. Aswell as any Guentzel and Murray Rookie Autos, Top Player Autos and Always looking for Decent Young Guns

SCF Rewards
    Country

It's a 2007 The Cup Nick Backstrom Gold Parallel Rookie /19 graded 8. The surface score got a 7, but a can't see a single issue with the surface of the card. Oh well, looks like its time to prep for surgery. If anyone has a simple way to crack one open with the smallest risk to damaging a card, please let me know.

Thanks for the comments, very much appreciated!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Kessel_fan_87's Items on eBay

FYI I despise slabs. I would do the same thing as you are.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Detroit Red Wings Minnesota Vikings Phoenix Coyotes
    See mattdmc2931's Items on eBay Upper Deck ePack

I've opened 30 or so BGS slabs without a problem, I sent out a lot to be graded and often am not happy with the grade so I crack them out (sometimes re-send sometimes just keep it raw).

I use a pair of heavy duty tin snips to break off one of the top corners then use a flat head screwdriver to insert into the area I broke off and just carefully pry it upward, Never had a problem doing this and never damaged a single card.

Also if you do crack it out of the case, send the label to Beckett so they can update the population report.

Hope that helped.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Philadelphia Eagles Toronto Blue Jays
    See maritimesportscards's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack
    Member is PayPal Verified

It's a 2007 The Cup Nick Backstrom Gold Parallel Rookie /19 graded 8. The surface score got a 7, but a can't see a single issue with the surface of the card. Oh well, looks like its time to prep for surgery. If anyone has a simple way to crack one open with the smallest risk to damaging a card, please let me know.

Thanks for the comments, very much appreciated!

I would crack it. I take a small to medium size Flat Head screwdriver and on the long edge of the slab on the Label end I tap gently enough into the side of the slab with a hammer/mallet until it penetrates the slab then pry it open carefully around the label first and then around the rest of the card until it is free. I've done so about a dozen times and have never damaged a card.

SCF Rewards
    Country

The card is free! Thanks JayT_59 for the advice, put down the dremel and used your method with no issues. Thanks to everyone else for the input.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Philadelphia Eagles Toronto Blue Jays
    See maritimesportscards's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack
    Member is PayPal Verified

Happy to help. Cheers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast