Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rickysigai View Post
    No respect that's why we take it. Showing up for every game counts a lot. Ask the colts when manning was out the whole year haha. From what I'm hearing its basically a 3 year deal and will be re constructed in the 4th year. He is making less next year then he did this year. Best story ever ...... Were does joe go after signing the biggest nfl contract to eat. McDonald's drive through in Aberdeen md . Love that man.
    Wow, what a down to earth guy. He went to McDonalds.

Give me a break. Let's see how much you're loving him when the Ravens don't sniff a Super Bowl again because so much money is being blown on an average quarterback.

I've never seen such unwarranted idol worship in my life.
    Hidden Content
    Formerly lambeausouth
    Hi, I'm Bill. Cheesehead by birth. Packer and Brewer fanatic by choice.
    I will treat all SCF members with respect. I ask that you please do the same.

that's just awesome.
    Banner For BucketHidden Content
    Looking For: Gronkowski, Brady, 2011 Certified

Quote Originally Posted by BradyToMoss View Post
    he won't do that though. i see rodgers mentality the same as brady's. he'll get his cash but it won't be flacco cash so he can go after another superbowl.
    we shall see but I assume that Rodgers will be paid more than flacco. It's not that fair to compare brady restructuring and flacco. Brady has had his big contracts. This is Flaccos first. Blaming him for taking what the team willingly gave him doesn't make sense to me. It would be interesting to see what cuts would have happened had flacco negotiated for less. I don't think you can just say the ravens would have kept all of the players that have left.
    Check out my NEW FaceBook Fan page of my abstract painting and graphic design work!!!
    Hidden Content

Even though this happened a little while back I'm still confused, especially seeing all the players they are losing this offseason. Did they panic? Does Flacco have some kind of incriminating evidence against the ownership? They overpaid him as we all know. Did they forget how bad he played towards the end of the season? So bad he got his offensive coordinator fired. Sure he played lights out in the playoffs but did the Ravens suddenly forget Boldin was making highlights with almost every catch? If the Ravens did panic or think they could somehow make another run at the Super Bowl as long as they had Flacco, did they think he did it all by himself? I know Boldin refused to take a paycut from 6 million to 4 million base salary but when you see an average quarterback get overpaid for playing average then really good in the playoffs, how could a above average wide receiver take a paycut that helped Flacco get his big payday? How could Flacco not say "Whoa whoa whoa, we gotta keep Boldin.... Hell... I'll pay him!" Could it be because Flacco is helping them sell tons of Flacco jerseys? Well considering there are 2 Raven jerseys that were in the top 25 selling jerseys in the NFL then maybe..... Wait!!! He isn't in the top 25 selling jerseys. That is Ray Lewis and Ray Rice. Oh well there goes that theory.
    Hidden Content
    * New Orleans Saints **
    WHO DAT?!
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Flacco really isn't that bad. He might not deserve to be the highest paid player in the league, but the Ravens can't just let a franchise QB walk away. And as much as everyone wants to point to the Ravens defense as the reason he won, let's keep in mind that his defense was ranked 17th in the league last season. Flacco deserves a lot of credit.

As much as people like to take a dump on Flacco, his numbers are pretty good. I'm sure many people on here would consider Eli Manning to be elite or at least 2nd tier. One could make a strong argument that Flacco's numbers at this point in his career have been more impressive than Eli's were. Hell, before Eli won the Super Bowl, he basically was Flacco in the sense that everyone put him down and said he was average-at-best. If I'm a Ravens fan, I'm feeling fine about Flacco and the team moving forward.
    Collecting all Cleveland Teams, Bowling Green State Alumni, South Carolina Alumni, Andre Roberts, Mike Kafka and Baron Davis.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Cards View Post
    we shall see but I assume that Rodgers will be paid more than flacco. It's not that fair to compare brady restructuring and flacco. Brady has had his big contracts. This is Flaccos first. Blaming him for taking what the team willingly gave him doesn't make sense to me. It would be interesting to see what cuts would have happened had flacco negotiated for less. I don't think you can just say the ravens would have kept all of the players that have left.
    i don't believe brady's contracts have ever crushed a franchise like the way flacco's potentially can. he's also taken multiple home town discounts. i believe his last deal was the only real whopper
    Banner For BucketHidden Content
    Looking For: Gronkowski, Brady, 2011 Certified

Quote Originally Posted by selby56 View Post
    Flacco really isn't that bad. He might not deserve to be the highest paid player in the league, but the Ravens can't just let a franchise QB walk away. And as much as everyone wants to point to the Ravens defense as the reason he won, let's keep in mind that his defense was ranked 17th in the league last season. Flacco deserves a lot of credit.
    I don't see how you can classify Flacco as a franchise QB. A franchise QB is a QB that the team is built around. There is no building going on around Flacco. The team is essentially being dismantled to keep him around. A franchise QB makes other players better. Flacco needs other players to perform well just for him to put up average numbers. Furthermore, Flacco's great value as a passer didn't result in a single receiver with over 1000 yards. There is nothing that points to him as a franchise player. He doesn't make other players better, other players make him look better.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    "Amidst the uncertainties of war, every soldier is entitled to one certainty...that he will not be forgotten.
    Poor is the nation that has no heroes, shameful is the one that, having them...forgets."

Quote Originally Posted by duane1969 View Post
    I don't see how you can classify Flacco as a franchise QB. A franchise QB is a QB that the team is built around. There is no building going on around Flacco. The team is essentially being dismantled to keep him around. A franchise QB makes other players better. Flacco needs other players to perform well just for him to put up average numbers. Furthermore, Flacco's great value as a passer didn't result in a single receiver with over 1000 yards. There is nothing that points to him as a franchise player. He doesn't make other players better, other players make him look better.
    You could argue that Flacco has been a more effective QB at this point in his career than Eli Manning was. Does this mean Eli isn't a franchise QB? Why don't many people say Eli was just the product of Plax, Cruz, Nicks, and Manningham over the years? I don't see how anyone can find 20+ touchdowns and no more than 12 interceptions a season to be just average.

You can argue all day that Torrey Smith (above average) and Boldin (aging, but still pretty good) are the sole reason for his success, but it is Flacco's job to get the ball to his weapons. If all you needed was a good receiver to make a bad QB look "average" then the Cardinals wouldn't have a revolving door at the QB position.

Edit: Another note, you said a franchise QB is someone that the team can build around. Is that not exactly what the Ravens did with Flacco? They went and got him Anquan Boldin, and they drafted him Torrey Smith. They drafted him a pair of TE's in Pitta and Dickson. They drafted him a running back in the 2nd round of the same draft in which they got him. He went to the playoffs every year and won the Super Bowl with this team they built around him.
    Last edited by selby56; 03-19-2013 at 01:44 AM.
    Collecting all Cleveland Teams, Bowling Green State Alumni, South Carolina Alumni, Andre Roberts, Mike Kafka and Baron Davis.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

I wouldn't say that because Flacco and Eli's first 4 years are comparable that it means that after this year Flacco is suddenly going to become a 4500 yard 32 TD quarterback. That is a stretch. Different systems, different people, different coaches.

Also, Flacco is in his 5th year, not his 4th year, so if he is going to mirror Eli we should be seeing it by now. Instead of a big jump in numbers like Eli had in year 5 we are seeing a minimal jump or a decline by Flacco. His season yards jumped slightly by around 200 over the three previous seasons, his TDs jumped 2 over the previous season but were 3 less than his best, his completion percentage was the 4th lowest of his 5 year career...not the sudden increase in production that we saw in Eli in year 5.

I wouldn't argue that Smith or Boldin were the sole reason that Flacco was successful, because they didn't have great seasons. Boldin has had the worst 3 season stretch of his career while in Baltimore. Smith has yet to crack the 900 yard mark in yards or have more than 50 catches. All this points to is my original point that Flacco isn't a franchise QB, because if he was they would have better numbers. I repeat, franchise QBs make those around him better.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    "Amidst the uncertainties of war, every soldier is entitled to one certainty...that he will not be forgotten.
    Poor is the nation that has no heroes, shameful is the one that, having them...forgets."

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast