Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sequester 2013!

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Pittsburgh Steelers Pittsburgh Pirates Boston Red Sox
    Twitter: @MadMan_Of_Metal See ultimatesteelersfan1964's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale

Sequester 2013!

After reading a number of threads in P&R...I wanted to go back to a some real politics!

First a couple Articles -Please feel free to post your our there are thousands i am sure

The sequester, explained

http://www.politico.com/p/pages/sequestration/

The first thought I have had on all this is the fact of how dysfunctional Washington DC has become. More finger pointing then anything has been taking place. The real price is the American people will be paying over the next 3 to 6 months may be one we cant afford. With the Budget I am a firm moderate and I firmly believe that we need cuts and we need more revenues. The Math is simple. NO magic is needed to see that. I just happen to not like the cuts that are being pushed. For 30 years conservatives have pushed to cut ALL social programs. I watched Ronnie and Newt attack these programs over and over again.

What really gets me is why are not certain cuts being proposed , such as the aid/ welfare to oil Companies? That is 8 Billion this year. That is 10% of the 85B needed. In the DOD they want to get the pay of the soldiers? To me that insane! go after a few contractors or cut a few deep pocket projects. Is it that hard to figure how to do this? What about the 6 billion a year it takes to run Congress? No cuts there? Asking one group of people in the country to bear the weight of this is unfair and punitive.

Least of all this NOT one person if talking on how we can deal with the debt! By all estimates it will take 500 BILLION a year for around 20 years in surplus on the budget to pay it off where we stand right now. We now need SOUND fiscal policies for someone who has their head on straight and really understands what is at stake!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bodyelectricmethod's Items on eBay

actually I cannot argue with any of your comments, they make sense.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Twitter: @MadMan_Of_Metal See ultimatesteelersfan1964's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale

http://www.politicususa.com/john-boe...ment-bill.html

To be honest i have not read the bill the Dems in the house but this is the crap game the GOP is playing and we in the end pay for it.

I am of the thought that the GOP want this to happen and they will use this ALL in the Midterm elections.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

What really gets me is why are not certain cuts being proposed , such as the aid/ welfare to oil Companies? That is 8 Billion this year. That is 10% of the 85B needed. In the DOD they want to get the pay of the soldiers? To me that insane! go after a few contractors or cut a few deep pocket projects. Is it that hard to figure how to do this? What about the 6 billion a year it takes to run Congress? No cuts there? Asking one group of people in the country to bear the weight of this is unfair and punitive.

Just my .02, but cutting any assistance to oil companies will result in those losses being passed on to consumers. I don't know when you last visited a gas station but gas prices have been at their longest sustained high prices in history. If cutting $8 billion to the oil companies means I pay $5 a gallon instead of the already ridiculous $3.88 then I am against it.

http://www.politicususa.com/john-boe...ment-bill.html

To be honest i have not read the bill the Dems in the house but this is the crap game the GOP is playing and we in the end pay for it.

I am of the thought that the GOP want this to happen and they will use this ALL in the Midterm elections.

What crap game? Obama created the sequester and is now trying to use it to blackmail Americans into higher taxes. How do you figure you can put this off on the GOP? Why is it that Democrat politicians are so narrow-minded that their only answer to revenue needs is raising taxes? How about an actual plan to cut spending that doesn't result in laying off people from their jobs?

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    TheBench(150)
    Country
    See tpeichel34's Items on eBay

The ridiculous thing is even with the sequester we are going to spend more than we did last year, but to listen to the Obama administration, this is going to be cataclysmic. Even the usually friendly press is ridiculing the Obama Administration to some extent.

Here's a pretty good sign that President Obama is losing the sequester fight: Even his best friends in the press are starting to chafe at the desperate and deceptive warnings coming from him and his administration.
    At one of his countless anti-sequester events, Obama warned that the budget cuts will "gut critical investments," "weaken America's economic recovery" and "weaken our military readiness." He said tens of thousands of parents will scramble to find child care, and hundreds of thousands will "lose access to primary care and preventive care."

Obama's education secretary went on Sunday talk shows to suggest that 40,000 teachers would lose their jobs, and his transportation secretary claimed air travelers would suffer huge delays. Obama's chief of staff called sequester fallout a "devastating list of horribles."

All that over a plan that trims just 5% from discretionary spending, leaves exploding entitlement programs untouched, and will produce an $845 billion deficit?

Even the media appear — incredibly — to be growing skeptical of the administration's horrifying predictions.
    Case in point is CNN's Candy Crowley.
    Last seen helping Obama during one of the presidential debates, Crowley was incredulous at what Obama's transportation secretary, Ray LaHood, was saying about sequester-caused air travel nightmares.
    Even with the budget cuts, she said, the FAA will have "$500 million more than 2008, (when) the planes were running just fine," adding, "surely there must be things inside the FAA budget where you can get rid of 4%."
    NBC's David Gregory was surprisingly skeptical, too, asking LaHood if he actually believed "Americans think that government can't tighten up a bit."
    Politico, meanwhile, ran a story wondering whether Obama was "telling the truth about sequestration," and pointed out that "dramatic predictions about long lines at airports and the loss of special education funding involve some large assumptions."
    The story also noted that agency heads "had trouble specifying how they arrived at specific numbers the White House presented."

And the AP on Tuesday blew huge holes in various administration doom-and-gloom claims, calling them "sky-is-falling hype."
    The AP, for example, found no evidence to back up administration claims about teacher layoffs. It also pointed out that the airline industry thinks the sequester will have "no major impact on air travel," and that various numbers bandied about by Obama were "thrown out into thin air with no anchor."
    But the sequester skepticism prize goes to Bob Woodward, who blasted Obama Wednesday for claiming the sequester made it impossible to deploy another aircraft carrier to the Persian Gulf. "That's a kind of madness that I haven't seen in a long time," he said.
    This isn't to suggest the mainstream media have suddenly become unbiased dispensers of the facts, or that they're even explaining the budget to the public.
    But if Obama can't even convince his cheerleaders in the press that modest spending restraint will doom the country, why should anyone believe he's having more success with the public at large?

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    TheBench(150)
    Country
    See tpeichel34's Items on eBay

After reading a number of threads in P&R...I wanted to go back to a some real politics!

First a couple Articles -Please feel free to post your our there are thousands i am sure

The sequester, explained

http://www.politico.com/p/pages/sequestration/

The first thought I have had on all this is the fact of how dysfunctional Washington DC has become. More finger pointing then anything has been taking place. The real price is the American people will be paying over the next 3 to 6 months may be one we cant afford. With the Budget I am a firm moderate and I firmly believe that we need cuts and we need more revenues. The Math is simple. NO magic is needed to see that. I just happen to not like the cuts that are being pushed. For 30 years conservatives have pushed to cut ALL social programs. I watched Ronnie and Newt attack these programs over and over again.

Least of all this NOT one person if talking on how we can deal with the debt! By all estimates it will take 500 BILLION a year for around 20 years in surplus on the budget to pay it off where we stand right now. We now need SOUND fiscal policies for someone who has their head on straight and really understands what is at stake!

You know you are screwed when the government is deficit spending over $1 trillion per year and your GDP is basically flat. We should have taken our medicine five years ago, by now we'd be in a real recovery.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Just my .02, but cutting any assistance to oil companies will result in those losses being passed on to consumers. I don't know when you last visited a gas station but gas prices have been at their longest sustained high prices in history. If cutting $8 billion to the oil companies means I pay $5 a gallon instead of the already ridiculous $3.88 then I am against it.

What crap game? Obama created the sequester and is now trying to use it to blackmail Americans into higher taxes. How do you figure you can put this off on the GOP? Why is it that Democrat politicians are so narrow-minded that their only answer to revenue needs is raising taxes? How about an actual plan to cut spending that doesn't result in laying off people from their jobs?

Well i glad you like corporate welfare.....

The old Shell game
    The Dems in the HOUSE proposed a bill and the speaker is blocking it...WHY? You can go by your hard line and stay GOP but fact is 535 people in Washingtion are failing to do there job! =

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bodyelectricmethod's Items on eBay

did congress not fold the last time and agree toa tax increase with no cuts, with the promise from Obama that they would talk cuts before march, and now congress is saying they will only talk cuts but Obama refuses to?

and now this is the fault of congress?

correct me if I am wrong, I have had trouble keeping up with all of this do to work and school.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I honestly am thinking the GOP refused to do anything to avoid this. This works for the GOP and the teapuiblicans so well it isnt funny. I do believe that the present GOP would let the economy fail to further their careers.

Yes Congress should get a good deal of the deal and the President and his staff does as well. Party BS is getting in the way of doing their job and people continue to vote them in. The real fault starts with us!

SCF Rewards
    Country

Even though the sequester more than likely will impact my wife and I’m glad to see the republicans stand there ground. Raising taxes will not solve the deficit problem if they don’t start cutting entitlements. What happened to all the additional revenue Obama got in January?

As long as you keep giving the poor entitlements they will never break the cycle of depending on the government.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast