Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

Regardless, I don't like the way that textbook is defining atheism.

The word deny is mostly associated as a refusal to something which is so.....we are NOT in "denial" of anything.

And conversely, I wouldn't say that theists are in "denial" either since atheism isn't claiming any knowledge or truth.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bodyelectricmethod's Items on eBay

so I am guessing when you say "we" you are speaking about you and maybe a group of your friends? I am certain you do not speak for all atheists.
    In fact Atheists of America teaches acceptance and understanding of all religions, they just want separation of church and state, not separation of religion and America.

SCF Rewards
    Country

so I am guessing when you say "we" you are speaking about you and maybe a group of your friends? I am certain you do not speak for all atheists.

I speak for myself but I would hope that all atheist would agree that they are indeed not in "denial" of god.

In fact Atheists of America teaches acceptance and understanding of all religions, they just want separation of church and state, not separation of religion and America.

Are you talking about "American Atheists"?

Because acceptance and tolerance are two very different concepts.

I sure as heck do not accept ANY religion whatsoever.

As for separation of church and state, I'm all for that....but I do believe that religion should have ZERO part in government.

That doesn't mean you can't be religious and be in government, but religion and government directly should not mix.

I have said it many times on this site....being neutral is the best way to deal with this.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Pittsburgh Steelers Pittsburgh Pirates Boston Red Sox
    Twitter: @MadMan_Of_Metal See ultimatesteelersfan1964's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale

For myself it was a belief that was hard to realize over many years. I was born into and baptisted a Catholic. When i was adopted my family attend church on a regular basis, protestant , as well I attended Sunday school. In a small town Church was a social event as wells. That ended several years after. During the duration of the teen years to my entering a 12 step program, I had attending the holiday services and such. Attended wedding and Funerals held in churches. If anyone here has any understanding of the 12 step programs, the use of "high power" is part of the foundation of the 12 step programs. at least the program I am in and I use the grand daddy of the them all. However over many years the natural questions of the daily events I see led me to ask these type of questions. The questions of why that child? or Why that family? Showed me that the existence of "GOD" was just a faith written in a book and nothing more! Although I have not followed and Christian religion is many years. Finding that the Eastern teachings more to my liking and what I truly believe. One last piece was the argument of heaven and hell. I honestly believe that neither exist. Just the idea is silly in the overall frame work in my opinion.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Do any of you guys have any Aaron Rodgers cards to trade/sell? lol

Interesting thread. I believe in God for several reasons - all of which have come from a direct impact on my life when I have turned to Him and sought guidance, forgiveness, understanding, humility, etc. I find it's VERY easy for myself and others to turn our focus away from God unfortunately... but when I do catch myself slipping into 'the norm' and distant it's great to know that I've been the one who's gone astray, not God. He's a pretty consistent guy.

I also truly feel that my belief in God is the result of a one-on-one interaction and NOT necessarily affiliated with any specific religion/division. Yes, going to church helps me appreciate what I consider to be a 'true gift' of life. But I'm connected into a very contemporary church and it truly makes sense to me. Our church band has drums & bongos, electric guitar & bass guitar solos, keyboard synths, etc. Our congregation has a few people in dress clothes but the majority of us wear tshirts and jeans. With that said, (and all due respect to their personal beliefs), there's no way I'd feel excited and energized by a traditional Catholic Mass. I think it's all about getting connected in some way that you're comfortable with, on a comfort level to match your spiritual awareness at the time.
    Last edited by Helmutt; 03-04-2013 at 02:48 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Star_Cards's Items on eBay

I'm an atheist and simply don't believe in any sort of supernatural god. That's basically my belief. A lot of people think one needs religion to be good or moral and that simply isn't the case. As far as how it translates into realms like homosexuality, I feel that religious "rules" that are told to people from birth can help cloud certain topics. Sure, there are beneficial aspects to religion but there are also a lot of walls that religions put up as well.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (205)
    Country
    See habsheaven's Items on eBay

I cannot remember ever believing in God. I went to Sunday school, went through Confirmation, attended church on a semi-regular basis throughout my childhood. I think I believed in Santa Claus for a longer period of time. IF there is a God, I am 100% certain that God is nothing like the God spoke about in religion. And for every piece of anecdotal evidence of His existence there are 1,000 pieces of anecdotal evidence that He cannot exist.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

Unlike the christian religion, I'm going to show you how easy it is to be an atheist.

Ready?

Here it is....we have ONE rule.

"Do you believe in god"....if the answer is "no".....congratulations, you are an Atheist!

See how easy that was.

Everything else, matters about religion, society, beliefs, science, whatever is on a person to person basis.

You can be a conservative atheist, liberal atheist, anti-gay atheist, pro-life atheist, whatever-atheist.

Being an atheist simply means you lack the belief in god.

What if someone believes in reincarnation but not a God per se? Would they still be considered an atheist?
    Drug and smoke free trading.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

You're either agnostic or atheist. You can't be sure something doesn't exist and still say there's a possibility it exists.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

I cannot remember ever believing in God. I went to Sunday school, went through Confirmation, attended church on a semi-regular basis throughout my childhood. I think I believed in Santa Claus for a longer period of time. IF there is a God, I am 100% certain that God is nothing like the God spoke about in religion. And for every piece of anecdotal evidence of His existence there are 1,000 pieces of anecdotal evidence that He cannot exist.

What is some evidence that God can't exist? Every time I've heard "this proves God isn't real" it hold as much water as a spot of light on film being called an angel.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast