Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See jokeboy's Items on eBay

I think there's a little bit of disclosure which needs to occur here, which is that both bdoody and Joncamburn are primarily dealers buying for resale. . . so their defense of the practice is less that and more a defense of their own activity.

That being said, I don't have a problem with people wanting to buy below eBay. I don't have a problem with people selling below eBay. I don't have a problem with people buying for the purposes of flipping for a profit.

What I do have a problem with are the members of this forum who (a) intentionally lowball people in hopes of getting a larger profit margin; (b) people who manipulate market data in order to secure a lower price point; and (c) people who try and game the system (say BV versus SV) and try to cheat people out of value.

Without naming names, there are quite a few predators on this site. And the result of their activity is that people who realize they've been taken leave the site and don't come back. And that hurts everybody, just because one person needed to make some easy money.
    Last edited by bdrr; 03-05-2013 at 01:30 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (117)
    Country

At the end of the day all this math gives peopel a headache and we should just buy cards b/c we want them and not b/c of what the fees are, if we can resell the card etc etc. There are just so many variables nowadays when dealing with the hobby that you almost need an accountant to keep track of everything!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Knicks New York Yankees New York Giants
    See don't have an eBay account...'s Items on eBay

I'm happy I'm a rare breed in our hobby so I don't have to deal with the headaches of selling/trading in today's market. I collect all basketball, save everything from box breaks. I don't sell or trade. A unique breed I am, eh..

On a side note, I find it so funny how some people want to spend the absolute lowest possible amount of money on a sick card and then when it comes time that they want to sell said card, they expect to get an arm & a leg for it.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (117)
    Country

I'm happy I'm a rare breed in our hobby so I don't have to deal with the headaches of selling/trading in today's market. I collect all basketball, save everything from box breaks. I don't sell or trade. A unique breed I am, eh..

On a side note, I find it so funny how some people want to spend the absolute lowest possible amount of money on a sick card and then when it comes time that they want to sell said card, they expect to get an arm & a leg for it.

I am pretty much the same as you in that I rarely sell or trade anything I pull for box breaks and they belong in my PC forever. The amount of reasonable people in the hobby is decreasing day by day but the power of the almighty dollar will do that to anyone.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    NUTS (38)
    Country

I just got back into collecting, and i do mostly the same thing. I break for set building. Autos and G/U don't interest me. So if i pull them, i do trade them for cards or inserts i need/want. I don't buy to sell though.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I am pretty much the same as you in that I rarely sell or trade anything I pull for box breaks and they belong in my PC forever. The amount of reasonable people in the hobby is decreasing day by day but the power of the almighty dollar will do that to anyone.

Aint that the truth, "money is the root of all evil" - Pink Floyd and "C.r.e.a.m" by The Wu-tang Clan. I have binders full of base cards and then binders of each rookie class. I wonder how many cards I have by now?..I'm sure its a whole lot. But its real nice to see another collector out there that share the same sentiments as I do!

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (117)
    Country

Aint that the truth, "money is the root of all evil" - Pink Floyd and "C.r.e.a.m" by The Wu-tang Clan. I have binders full of base cards and then binders of each rookie class. I wonder how many cards I have by now?..I'm sure its a whole lot. But its real nice to see another collector out there that share the same sentiments as I do!

The sad thing is that to stay is this hobby that acts more like a business each and everyday is that you have to be greedy. Not even a little greedy, but a lot greedy which I am not really a fan of, but I need to do what I need to do. Gone are the days of buying $2 packs and being happy and jumping for joy for getting a rookie card of your favorite player. Now it's all about getting the monster hit and reselling for major coin.

SCF Rewards
    Country

The sad thing is that to stay is this hobby that acts more like a business each and everyday is that you have to be greedy. Not even a little greedy, but a lot greedy which I am not really a fan of, but I need to do what I need to do. Gone are the days of buying $2 packs and being happy and jumping for joy for getting a rookie card of your favorite player. Now it's all about getting the monster hit and reselling for major coin.

AAAAAAAmen, preach on fellow cardboard brethren, preach on!!

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (117)
    Country

Little kids are being weeded out and they're forced to get pokemon and yugioh. I don' want to get into the impact this has on the future of collecting, but when you shut out an entire demographic of people and essentially take the "fun" out of the hobby, then that's not a good thing. lol i'm glad someone agrees with me.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Mainecards42's Items on eBay

I think there's a little bit of disclosure which needs to occur here, which is that both bdoody and Joncamburn are primarily dealers buying for resale. . . so their defense of the practice is less that and more a defense of their own activity.

That being said, I don't have a problem with people wanting to buy below eBay. I don't have a problem with people selling below eBay. I don't have a problem with people buying for the purposes of flipping for a profit.

What I do have a problem with are the members of this forum who (a) intentionally lowball people in hopes of getting a larger profit margin; (b) people who manipulate market data in order to secure a lower price point; and (c) people who try and game the system (say BV versus SV) and try to cheat people out of value.

Without naming names, there are quite a few predators on this site. And the result of their activity is that people who realize they've been taken leave the site and don't come back. And that hurts everybody, just because one person needed to make some easy money.

Everyone here is for different reasons and for various reasons. I often do buy to resell. If you check my threads about buying it is often mentioned exactly what I am looking for. I never try to hide or deceive anyone...

Aslong as people are honest in there trading, buying and selling here I don't see any reason why everyone can't peacefully coexist. For cards I want as part of my PC I have no issues with paying the going rate or even above.

This isn't just a hobby anymore, it's a business.. I understand some people don't like it but it is what it is.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast