Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (117)
    Country

Collecting was a lot more fun when stuff was actually rare and hard to it. The current market has pretty much weeded out game used cards and unless you hit a sick patch of a star, game used cards are worth absolutely nothing. I mean why even bother with single swatch jerseys in products that sell for less than a dollar? Waste of money for the manufacturer and collector all in all.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See glaspi2's Items on eBay

I just wanted to add my two cents. I have only been back in the hobby for a little over a year after I stopped collecting when I was a kid back in the early to mid 90s. I find that collecting cards only has enhanced my love and passion for basketball, primarily college and some NBA, but really only former KU alumni. I am sure that would change if Kansas City had a professional team.

First, I understand about people wanting to make a profit and flip cards. My other hobby is building armor and aircraft models and there are people there who do the same thing – tough slightly different in some sense. I find that there are people on here that are great to work with who are trying to make a buck – bdoody42 being one of them. However, there are some on here that are really pushy and rude when you turn down their offers and I hate to say a little over priced. I am sure that some who I have inquired about price of cards think that I am cheap or I am just trying to lowball them in order to flip them, when in reality it is because I am working with a certain budget or I feel that the card itself is not worth that much to me. At the same time I know I probably over paid for a card, because it is something I REALLY want for my collection.

I know a lot of people like to work or go off of a price guide, whether it is Beckett or another guide. But, this is a guide and not a set actual market price! I think that people need to realize that this, I think most of us do. But, I am often still amazed how many people say “well the price of it is listed at . . . . “ I do buy a lot of cards on ebay, as it is just easier to find cards that I am need for my collection, but I find that the prices on ebay fluctuate. In addition, just because you have a /5 or /25 card does not mean it is worth a crap load of money and that there is a high demand for it. An example is Josh Selby. He recently got traded to the Cavs and was let go about a week ago. No one has offered to pick him and I am willing to bet he will be overseas. I doubt that very few people have even heard of him or even know what is going on with his career. Yet, people sometimes on SCF and ebay think his auto card should fetch a decent size amount. The only reason I collect him is that he is a former KU player – though not one of my favorites.

Chakhae1 noted : “Sure there are those that buy for their PC, but that is more of an rare occurrence than in years gone by.” I hope that we are buying cards because it shares a symbiotic relationship with our love of the sport. If you are truly trying to make a buck there has to be a better way to do it then flipping sports cards. I swear I will never buy another pack or box ever again . . .

Okay I have rambled on long enough . . . but, in conclusion if Panini or whoever stopped making basketball cards my love of the game as both a fan and coach is not going to really stop.

Amen!!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234