2012 Bowman Sterling Victor Roache Refractor 55/199

2007 Exquisite Rookie Signatures Ryan Braun/Alex Gordon 9/40
    1999 SP Signature Robin Yount

That's my collection to date. I have some incoming yet:

2010 Bowman Chrome Nolan Arenado auto
    2012 Bowman Chrome Jonathan Singleton auto
    2012 Bowman Chrome Tyrone Taylor auto
    2010 Bowman Chrome Nick Franklin auto refractor

Those will be scanned and added to this when I get them in.
    Last edited by the 'stache; 03-04-2013 at 09:10 AM. Reason: added labels
    Hidden Content
    Formerly lambeausouth
    Hi, I'm Bill. Cheesehead by birth. Packer and Brewer fanatic by choice.
    I will treat all SCF members with respect. I ask that you please do the same.

Awesome Collection! Thanks for taking the time and energy to share these!

Thank you, sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Bryant #88 View Post
    Wondering how do you pick which prospects to collect? Do you wait til they prove them selfs a little once they reach the show? Or do you take a list from the top 100 MLB prospects? Just wondering because I want to broaden my prospect collection from just Dodgers. And I'm ready for more.
    Ok, now that the cards are scanned, I can answer this.

I get my information from a variety of places. I've been an avid reader of Baseball America, and tend to pay a lot of attention to not only their top 100 prospects list (just came out a couple of weeks ago), I also read it during the year to see how the players I'm tracking are performing. I also use MLB.com's Top 100 Prospect list compiled by Jonathan Mayo.

What I did for last year is compile an Excel Spreadsheet for prospects, and assigned each prospect a point value based on where BBA and MLB.com had them ranked in their Top 100. For example, Bryce Harper was rated #1 by BBA, and #2 by MLB.com. Harper had a composite score of 3. Matt Moore was #2 on BBA, and #1 on MLB.com. So Moore also had a 3 composite score. I weigh BBA more, as the rankings are determined by a group of people (they meet, and hash out a list which goes to 500 prospects), whereas MLB.com is only Mayo. I went through all the top 100 from each list, and determined their scores. Obviously when you have a player not ranked on both lists, they are handled differently. BBA ranked Yu Darvish and Yoenis Cespedes in their list, and Mayo did not include them because while they are technically rookies, they have been professional baseball players (Japan and Cuba). There ended up being 115 total people on my final composite list. Additionally, both BBA and MLB.com will forecast which players will be drafted, and rank them. There are some players I've been tracking a while now, and while many of them are quite expensive right off the bat (Mike Zunino comes to mind. Grr), there will be players that are somewhat undervalued relative to their cost. I also watch BBA's high school baseball reports. Some of the names they've been talking up since I started really reading a few years ago are making their way up to the minors, and will be in the Majors in a few seasons. Example: the Rangers drafted Joey Gallo from Las Vegas, and he's one of the top power prospects in all the minors right now (others on that list include Victor Roache (Milwaukee) and Miguel Sano (Minnesota). Gallo can just rake. He has possible plus plus power (80 on the scouting scale. Think Bryce Harper, Giancarlo Stanton or Matt Kemp-type power). If he becomes more disciplined at the plate, the kid's got 40 + HR upside in Texas. And the Ballpark at Arlington is a hitter's park. I'm going to pick up one of his refractor chrome autos, and watch him closely the next year or so.

I also looks at other sites. Baseball Prospect Nation is one of my favorites. They give in-depth reports, including the 20 to 80 grading scale Pro Scouts use (both for current and projected abilities). They comment on relative risk going forward, body type, where a player might move, etc. All these things of course impact where a player might end up once they get to the Majors (or, if they're blocked by a player, they'll discuss alternatives). Additionally, I'll watch prospects myself, and see how they're doing at different stages in the minors.

I also watch a ton of video on Youtube. Some of them are good, some are awful. I'm no scout obviously, but when I watch hitters and pitchers, I look for warning signs in mechanics. I've watched baseball long enough now to see possible problems down the road. Unnecessary motion in a swing, or awkward deliveries that could cause pitchers problems with command, or injury, down the road. Hitters are always a little safer bet because if you can hit, you'll reach the bigs. The injury risk is always higher with pitchers.

As far as how I buy, I mix it up. If I see a player with, in my opinion, a lot of upside, I'll take a chance on them, and buy their chrome rookie (if they have one) even if they're not on either Top 100 list. I'll watch Sports Card Radio's release calendars, and when Bowman, Bowman Chrome, and Bowman DP&P set lists come out, I'll make sure to start preparing for the new players I want to add. I try to plan my strategy a little in advance, so I know when cards will be hitting Ebay, comc.com, and of course here. And strangely enough, there are real deals to be had in the first few days, before the market is set on a Chrome rookie card. And even after the market is set, some cards will inexplicably lag behind where you'd expect them to be. Case in point? Tyler Skaggs' 2012 Bowman Chrome base auto has not climbed from the $12 delivered I bought mine for. Are you kidding me? With Trevor Bauer now in Cleveland, Skaggs is going to be the guy in Arizona. He's the #10 prospect on MLB.com for 2013, and #12 on BBA's list. He's 21, and will be in the Majors full time within the next year/year and a half. Baseball Prospect Nation lists his relative risk as low. He's 6'3" 195 lbs, so he's got good size. He's got three above average pitches (fastball and changeup, and a possible plus curve). They also rank his control upside as plus. While nothing is guaranteed, I think he's going to have a really nice career.

Bowman Baseball comes out in just under two months: http://sportscardradio.com/sports-ca...ball-checklist

The list is not yet complete, but by checking it now, I see that Byron Buxton, Carlos Correa and Lucas Giolito have signed on, and will have Bowman Chrome autos.

Watch the 2013 calendar for when Bowman Chrome and Bowman DP&P come out: http://sportscardradio.com/box-break-calendar

Chrome will come out in October, and DP&P (Draft Picks & Prospects) end of November.
    Last edited by the 'stache; 03-04-2013 at 11:35 AM.
    Hidden Content
    Formerly lambeausouth

^ Thanks for all the information. I will start doing the same! I like you point system. Gonna have to see if I can score a Tyler Skaggs AU now. Thanks!
    Last edited by Bisonx28; 03-04-2013 at 05:10 PM.

Country
    Card Cash
    Savings
    Transferred Feedback
    Bench(79)

View my Inventory New
    View my store Beta
    Very nice cards. I have recently got into collecting Bowman Chrome Autos also to add to my collection. I havent sat down and looked at it in depth as I really just decided on it a few weeks ago. Thanks for the info also on how you do it. I like to try to get autos of guys that are low now and have upside. Thanks for the info.
    I am an avid Atlanta Braves Auto collector. I am in the process of updating all my autos to a spreadsheet and organizing them. I am always looking for Atlanta Braves RCs Autos and also nice veteran autos.
    Havelist: Hidden Content

4 new additions to the collection today:

2010 Bowman Chrome Nolan Arenado
    2010 Bowman Chrome Nick Franklin refractor 421/500
    2012 Bowman Chrome Jonathan Singleton (very hard to get a clean auto)
    2012 Bowman Chrome Tyrone Taylor

I have to say, I just love my scanner. I really do. I did these scans raw, and they really come out beautifully.

I got this Canon CanoScan 8400F in August of last year. $45 on Ebay ( + $16 shipping). Can't beat it. The scanner hit the market back in 2004, and as you guys can see, their scan quality is as good as anything that's just coming out now, and for a lot less money.

I started a topic on the scanner when I got it. You can read it here. I've got examples of different card thicknesses and cases. If anybody is looking for a scanner, but doesn't want to spend a lot of money for a new one, get this! It's got the CCD scanning element that's needed to scan slabbed cards, and an LED light source, which will prevent some of the streaking you normally see when refractor cards are scanned. Look at the refractor card above? See any of that?

Now I want to go back and rescan all my cards without the magnet cases.

I hope the people that are looking are enjoying what I've put up.
    Last edited by the 'stache; 03-06-2013 at 05:14 PM.
    Hidden Content
    Formerly lambeausouth

Country
    Card Cash
    Savings
    Transferred Feedback
    Bench(79)

View my Inventory New
    View my store Beta
    I'm loving the cards. Wish I had some of them. Always love bowman and bowman chrome prospect autos and even the bowman platinum autos now. I am starting to collect those of players.
    I am an avid Atlanta Braves Auto collector. I am in the process of updating all my autos to a spreadsheet and organizing them. I am always looking for Atlanta Braves RCs Autos and also nice veteran autos.
    Havelist: Hidden Content

Thanks for the additions! Great collection! Now I have to spend money to get other prospects outside of the Dodgers. I limited myself to the Dodgers prospects to try and not spend a whole lot of money on prospects but your collection has me regretting that choice and now I'm gonna pay for it. Literally!

Country
    Card Cash
    Savings
    Transferred Feedback
    bench(474)

View my Inventory New
    View my store Beta
    A very nice collection indeed! If you want to move the 1999 Yount let me know. I have several autos and GU available.

Thanks for sharing
    Dewayne
    Lou Gehrig Super Collector!
    Bucket: Hidden Content

Love the autos. I am taking a shot in the dark haha not, you are trying to get the 2012 Topps Chrome rainbow of Willy Peralta. Plus if you ever want to trade away the Mike Moustakas card I'm your guy
    My main PC Player: LUKE HOCHEVAR
    My Have List for Luke Hochevar. Hidden Content
    My Hoch Stats: 274/719 38.1%(including 1/1s) 271/473 57.3%(excluding 1/1s)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast