Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

So what should the alternative be? Just sit back and let his classmate, himself and others possibly be killed because he did nothing?

So they should throw out protocol?
    Did he play a role before the gun was presented? Maybe talk the guy into bringing the gun then got scared at the last second?

Assuming he's innocent because he did good in the end is naive. If anyone in this knod of situation is told to stay home for a few days, why is he different?
    Wouldn't most kids see it as a reward? A couple days off school to relax?

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (205)
    Country
    See habsheaven's Items on eBay

The article is too lacking in details. There's obviously more to it. And I have always been of the opinion that school suspensions are never looked at as punishment by the students receiving them.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See j80rice's Items on eBay

The article is too lacking in details. There's obviously more to it. And I have always been of the opinion that school suspensions are never looked at as punishment by the students receiving them.

you are correct. however, in any situation that a lawsuit could arise, being suspended is horrible and traumatic.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bodyelectricmethod's Items on eBay

depends on the student, my brother missed only a total of a 1/2 a day of school, ever, he would have seen it as a punishment. my oldest daughter would have seen it as a punishment as well, we had to force her to stay home when she was sick.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

you are correct. however, in any situation that a lawsuit could arise, being suspended is horrible and traumatic.

I really and truly think you're overselling that to an erroneous degree. A suspension is not traumatic. The incident, sure. The suspension? Not a chance.

Look at it this way, if he were an adult at a job, he'd probably be given a couple days off work to relax and process the whole thing. Why wouldn't you do that for a student as well? And, as mentioned by someone else, if he did go to school the next day, he probably wouldn't be able to concentrate at all and could potentially distract others from learning not just himself. Do you want to take learning away from those other kids too?

I think the only thing wrong here is calling it a "suspension". If he did no wrong, I'm sure his record will reflect that and this "suspension" will not be seen as disciplinary.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See j80rice's Items on eBay

I really and truly think you're overselling that to an erroneous degree. A suspension is not traumatic. The incident, sure. The suspension? Not a chance.

Look at it this way, if he were an adult at a job, he'd probably be given a couple days off work to relax and process the whole thing. Why wouldn't you do that for a student as well? And, as mentioned by someone else, if he did go to school the next day, he probably wouldn't be able to concentrate at all and could potentially distract others from learning not just himself. Do you want to take learning away from those other kids too?

I think the only thing wrong here is calling it a "suspension". If he did no wrong, I'm sure his record will reflect that and this "suspension" will not be seen as disciplinary.

sorry, i think my sarcasm was missed. I chose the words that his parents are sure to use if they sue the school for his suspension. I was agreeing with a previous post that suspension for a kid is usually viewed as a day off.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

My bad. I get you now.
    If his parents have any decency, they won't sue. That's just teaching that you only do things to get things.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (205)
    Country
    See habsheaven's Items on eBay

depends on the student, my brother missed only a total of a 1/2 a day of school, ever, he would have seen it as a punishment. my oldest daughter would have seen it as a punishment as well, we had to force her to stay home when she was sick.

True, but that is the problem. For any kid that views a suspension as punishment they probably didn't need it to correct the behaviour. For those that view it as a reward, it doesn't change the behaviour either.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

True, but that is the problem. For any kid that views a suspension as punishment they probably didn't need it to correct the behaviour. For those that view it as a reward, it doesn't change the behaviour either.

It basically the school's version of a prolonged time out. Removal from the situation and time to assess what happened.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12