Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 52
  1. #41
    I can agree with that

    and just for the record, I do not feel guilty for racism, just sad for those who get caught up in it.
    Jay Shrewsbury
    Hidden Content

  2. #42
    This is a thread about a few paragraphs in a textbook about society and teaching - not YOU specifically.
    If you want to 'take your ball and go home' feel free, but there are social issues that go beyond you and your circumstances. I think you know that.

    Quote Originally Posted by ensbergcollector View Post
    i will ask once more and then I guess I will bail on my own thread. How I have benefited from racism? Name one way my life has been easier because of my race.
    Last edited by matt_curren; 03-06-2013 at 08:42 PM.
    Needs: Brewers Pitcher Mark Rogers '04 pick
    Red Sox - HOF & Current Players
    Current Patriots Cards
    Larry Bird, Carmelo/Lebron/Wade RC's

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by matt_curren View Post
    This is a thread about a few paragraphs in a textbook about society and teaching - not YOU specifically.
    If you want to 'take your ball and go home' feel free, but there are social issues that go beyond you and your circumstances. I think you know that.
    Drug and smoke free trading.

    Hidden Content

    Hidden Content

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by matt_curren View Post
    This is a thread about a few paragraphs in a textbook about society and teaching - not YOU specifically.
    If you want to 'take your ball and go home' feel free, but there are social issues that go beyond you and your circumstances. I think you know that.
    i completely agree. I wanted the thread to be about the textbook. But when i am being told that i personally have benefited from racism, I have every right to ask how? As soon as people started arguing things that applied to "all white people" it did become personal. I even stated that I am fully aware that racism still persists and that many people both benefit and are harmed by it. I take issue with a school teaching that this applies to 100% of the population. It is part of what keeps racism alive.
    bucket:Hidden Content

    Wants: Anything mma as well as nice texans patches

  5. #45


    Wickabee's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    17,379
    Country
    Card Cash
    250.00
    Savings
    0.00
    Blog Entries
    2
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)

    View my Inventory New
    View my store Beta
    Quote Originally Posted by ensbergcollector View Post
    i completely agree. I wanted the thread to be about the textbook. But when i am being told that i personally have benefited from racism, I have every right to ask how? As soon as people started arguing things that applied to "all white people" it did become personal. I even stated that I am fully aware that racism still persists and that many people both benefit and are harmed by it. I take issue with a school teaching that this applies to 100% of the population. It is part of what keeps racism alive.
    I'm not going to say you're wrong, but you can't understand the issue without realizing that, like it or not, you did benefit. Not consiously, not knowingly, but you did. So did Jay and I. It's simply the way it is and no amount of disagreeing is going to change that.

    Are there better ways to get the point across? Almost definitely, but you can't say it's wrong because, well, it isn't.
    Patiently waiting for someone to bring back sax solos and keytars non ironically.

  6. #46
    wickabee, it would be equally true to say everyone has benefited from racism and everyone has been affected by racism, not just whites, everyone.
    Jay Shrewsbury
    Hidden Content

  7. #47


    Wickabee's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    17,379
    Country
    Card Cash
    250.00
    Savings
    0.00
    Blog Entries
    2
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)

    View my Inventory New
    View my store Beta
    Quote Originally Posted by shrewsbury View Post
    wickabee, it would be equally true to say everyone has benefited from racism and everyone has been affected by racism, not just whites, everyone.
    Yes, but it would be incorrect to say that anyone is still reaping the benefits overall as much as whites. Yes everything goes both ways, but we're on a whole other level from everyone else.
    Patiently waiting for someone to bring back sax solos and keytars non ironically.

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by duane1969 View Post
    That is an easy statement to make when you are an adult that has experienced life some. When you are an impressionable 17 or 18 year old it is much harder to not buy into the system. A key component of indoctrination is youthful ignorance. Find a cult that is full of people and it is almost a guarantee that it will be a bunch of younger people led by an older person.

    Being an adult returning to college I saw a lot of the indoctrination going on and ended up at odds with a few professors because I wasn't one of the mindless sheep buying into their lies and propaganda. One professor apologized and admitted that they had been unfair in her statement that I had challenged. Another went on the offensive and tried to force me out of the class, even to the point of sending me emails telling me to drop the class because I had no chance to pass it. Unfortunately most kids in college lack the intestinal fortitude to stand up to professors and end up either buying into the rubbish or being ostracized for their refusal to buy into it.
    When I was in college most people would write papers that would coincide with the professors opinions so they would get a better grade. And the truth is some professors will get defensive and the grade will be take a hit because the student doesn't agree with him or her.
    “People just do the strangest things when they believe they are entitled...But they do even stranger things when they just plain believe.”

  9. #49


    Wickabee's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    17,379
    Country
    Card Cash
    250.00
    Savings
    0.00
    Blog Entries
    2
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)

    View my Inventory New
    View my store Beta
    Quote Originally Posted by Kosmo kards View Post
    When I was in college most people would write papers that would coincide with the professors opinions so they would get a better grade. And the truth is some professors will get defensive and the grade will be take a hit because the student doesn't agree with him or her.
    I ran into that in high school Comparative Civilizations class. He was a good enough teacher, just arrogant. I finally gathered all my papers and sat him down to ask why my grades were so low. After a bit of talking he admitted that, though I didn't give the answers he was looking for, I wasn't wrong. He graded me a lot easier after that.
    Patiently waiting for someone to bring back sax solos and keytars non ironically.

  10. #50
    The whole point of this thread is summed up pretty well here:
    Quote Originally Posted by ensbergcollector View Post
    it is liberal to teach a class that teaches that if you are white you have benefited from racism.
    You are calling something historically accurate and still true FOR A SOCIETY today "liberal" -- Again it is no more liberal than conservative.
    It just is - and the fact that 'just is' -- does NOT mean it is true for every single white individual in a society (see also -- you specifically) but it is true for the group or the society.

    It IS also something you are going to hear in a textbook on multiculteral education.
    You have essentially made an angry ranting thread about a textbook for a class called multiculteral education because the textbook includes:
    a) education
    b) multiculturalism
    Am I missing something? Were you expecting math?

    You keep saying the book claims white people are all born racist - you know nothing you quoted says that right?
    In fact it says, "At the beginning, whites usually do not recognize the significance of race." That's what you quoted. It says the opposite of one being born racist.

    And another thing, in terms of gays - What is so wrong in your view of teaching "inclusion"? What's so bad about making gays feel like they belong? Again - Why is that "liberal" idea? Do "conservatives" think that gays shouldn't belong or feel welcome being who they are? I don't think so. I think most conservatives would reject that idea. You are fundamentally mislabeling common sense for "liberalism"
    Needs: Brewers Pitcher Mark Rogers '04 pick
    Red Sox - HOF & Current Players
    Current Patriots Cards
    Larry Bird, Carmelo/Lebron/Wade RC's

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •