Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See j80rice's Items on eBay

Indoctrination at the University Level

A fairly common argument is whether liberal/anti-christian indoctrination happens at the college level. The few times it has come up around here, the majority response is one of two things:

1. It doesn't happen, college students are just taught to think for themselves and they come to those conclusions
    2. It happens just as much to the conservative side as to the liberal side

Now, I have for a while heard stories of people I know and what they are taught at school but since that is hard to prove I have tried to avoid the "well I heard" type of statements. However, my sister is currently getting her teaching degree from a Texas University (not UT) and has steadily been sending me pictures from both her books and tests. Here are just a few things she is being taught. Now, for clarification, I am not just talking about 1 teacher with their own agenda, I am talking about the book the class is using and the tests they are taking. Meaning, if they want to pass the class, they at least have to answer a certain way on the test.

1. Regarding Race in the Class room:

"At the beginning, whites usually do not recognize the significance of race. They accept the common stereotypes of people of color. As they become aware of white racism and privilege, they become uncomfortable and feel guilt, shame, and anger about racism. They begin to recognize they are prejudiced. Educators must remember that students of color face societal constraints and restrictions that seldom effect white students. Such recognition is essential in the development of instructional programs and schools to effectively serve diverse populations who do not yet share equally in the benefits that education offers."

"A first step in confronting racism in schools is to realize that racism exists and that, if teachers are white, they have benefited from it. Once teachers believe that discrimination exists in society and the school...they stop making excuses for the perpetrators or explaining that the actions of the perpetrator was not really racist."

"Teachers often declare that they are color-blind - that they look past a student's color and treat all students equally regardless of race. The problem is that color blindness helps maintain white privilege."

There is an entire section of the book under the heading "Queering the Curriculum" showing how teachers need to go out of their way to make sure LGBT students know they are included. Teachers can't just teach, they have to include LGBT examples in their lessons so that those students know they are included.

Religious:

Question on a test:

What do Judaism, Christianity, and Islam have in common? The answer was homophobia

These are just from printed texts in order to get an education degree. This doesn't even talk about lectures given by teachers. Now, I am not saying that all schools and all teachers are liberally biased but I grow tired of the people who talk like it doesn't exist.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

Do you expect anything else from Texas? Sorry I couldn't resist.
    Drug and smoke free trading.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See j80rice's Items on eBay

Do you expect anything else from Texas? Sorry I couldn't resist.

sad reality is that if this is happening in texas, which is pretty conservative on the scale, i can only imagine what is happening elsewhere.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

I think we just figured out why America is getting dumber by the minute.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I have my Doctorate degree... meaning I have been in 3 different schools, been in many classrooms and seen a lot of things.

I also have taught college.

Many of the books I have seen, read, and had to teach out of inform about race, discrimination, religion, etc... but a lot of times it actually presents it in a way where students seem to look at life and look at all the things that have happened to them and almost TRY to point out all the discrimination aspects that THEY have received. It's like it's promoting the cycle and not helping "learn from the past."

I also have noticed that they spend a lot of time on Black history.... and I am sure SOMEONE is going to go after my statement... so let me clarify.... EVERYTHING should be covered and learned about from the crap of how some people treated Blacks (and still some today.) BUT, the books don't teach about other discrimination, other wrong doings.

Most do not teach about Jews being eliminated by the thousands DAILY. Most books don't talk about racism as not just being Whites vs. Others. It happens vice versa and with other races, sex, etc.

So, I agree... a lot of this stuff happens in college on having an outline to be aware of things- but it is very one-sided and like I said before, a lot of times the way it is approached- it doesn't promote Learning, awareness, and the tools to move on in history not to repeat that.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

I'm going to tell it like this. If you rely only on the school system as your only source of learning you are doing yourself a huge disservice. Sadly a lot of people aren't in school with the passion for learning but just to get a piece of paper so they can get a job and make money. The school systems know this and that's what they do. I take what the school system teaches just like what I take what the media says with a grain of salt. Yes they both can provide useful information but you must seek out real knowledge in order to be educated.
    Last edited by mrveggieman; 03-05-2013 at 02:11 PM. Reason: typo

SCF Rewards
    Country

I'm going to tell it like this. If you rely only on the school system as your only source of learning you are doing yourself a huge disservice. Sadly a lot of people aren't in school with the passion for learning but just to get a piece of paper so they can get a job and make money. The school systems know this and that's what they do. I take what the school system teacjes just like what I take what the media says with a grain of salt. Yes they both can provide useful information but you must seek out real knowledge in order to be educated.

+1

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

I'm going to tell it like this. If you rely only on the school system as your only source of learning you are doing yourself a huge disservice. Sadly a lot of people aren't in school with the passion for learning but just to get a piece of paper so they can get a job and make money. The school systems know this and that's what they do. I take what the school system teacjes just like what I take what the media says with a grain of salt. Yes they both can provide useful information but you must seek out real knowledge in order to be educated.

I always say the biggest mistake I ever made was taking high school courses I was interested in learning about instead of whatever would make me a lawyer or doctor.

SCF Rewards
    Country

whats even worse...

At all the Universities I have been too... all the Frats and Sororities are either all white, all black, all Chinese, all Korean, all Hispanic, etc, etc....

If that doesn't PROMOTE segregation, well then I am at a loss of words for the idea of NOT HAVING segregation!!!

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

That is an easy statement to make when you are an adult that has experienced life some. When you are an impressionable 17 or 18 year old it is much harder to not buy into the system. A key component of indoctrination is youthful ignorance. Find a cult that is full of people and it is almost a guarantee that it will be a bunch of younger people led by an older person.

Being an adult returning to college I saw a lot of the indoctrination going on and ended up at odds with a few professors because I wasn't one of the mindless sheep buying into their lies and propaganda. One professor apologized and admitted that they had been unfair in her statement that I had challenged. Another went on the offensive and tried to force me out of the class, even to the point of sending me emails telling me to drop the class because I had no chance to pass it. Unfortunately most kids in college lack the intestinal fortitude to stand up to professors and end up either buying into the rubbish or being ostracized for their refusal to buy into it.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast