Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bodyelectricmethod's Items on eBay

I can agree with that

and just for the record, I do not feel guilty for racism, just sad for those who get caught up in it.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Boston Red Sox Boston Celtics New England Patriots
    See maccards44's Items on eBay

This is a thread about a few paragraphs in a textbook about society and teaching - not YOU specifically.
    If you want to 'take your ball and go home' feel free, but there are social issues that go beyond you and your circumstances. I think you know that.

i will ask once more and then I guess I will bail on my own thread. How I have benefited from racism? Name one way my life has been easier because of my race.

Last edited by maccards44; 03-06-2013 at 09:42 PM.
    maccards44 everywhere 'bay, etc
    Just Selling Right Now

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

This is a thread about a few paragraphs in a textbook about society and teaching - not YOU specifically.
    If you want to 'take your ball and go home' feel free, but there are social issues that go beyond you and your circumstances. I think you know that.

Drug and smoke free trading.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See j80rice's Items on eBay

i completely agree. I wanted the thread to be about the textbook. But when i am being told that i personally have benefited from racism, I have every right to ask how? As soon as people started arguing things that applied to "all white people" it did become personal. I even stated that I am fully aware that racism still persists and that many people both benefit and are harmed by it. I take issue with a school teaching that this applies to 100% of the population. It is part of what keeps racism alive.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

i completely agree. I wanted the thread to be about the textbook. But when i am being told that i personally have benefited from racism, I have every right to ask how? As soon as people started arguing things that applied to "all white people" it did become personal. I even stated that I am fully aware that racism still persists and that many people both benefit and are harmed by it. I take issue with a school teaching that this applies to 100% of the population. It is part of what keeps racism alive.

I'm not going to say you're wrong, but you can't understand the issue without realizing that, like it or not, you did benefit. Not consiously, not knowingly, but you did. So did Jay and I. It's simply the way it is and no amount of disagreeing is going to change that.

Are there better ways to get the point across? Almost definitely, but you can't say it's wrong because, well, it isn't.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bodyelectricmethod's Items on eBay

wickabee, it would be equally true to say everyone has benefited from racism and everyone has been affected by racism, not just whites, everyone.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

wickabee, it would be equally true to say everyone has benefited from racism and everyone has been affected by racism, not just whites, everyone.

Yes, but it would be incorrect to say that anyone is still reaping the benefits overall as much as whites. Yes everything goes both ways, but we're on a whole other level from everyone else.

SCF Rewards
    Country

That is an easy statement to make when you are an adult that has experienced life some. When you are an impressionable 17 or 18 year old it is much harder to not buy into the system. A key component of indoctrination is youthful ignorance. Find a cult that is full of people and it is almost a guarantee that it will be a bunch of younger people led by an older person.

Being an adult returning to college I saw a lot of the indoctrination going on and ended up at odds with a few professors because I wasn't one of the mindless sheep buying into their lies and propaganda. One professor apologized and admitted that they had been unfair in her statement that I had challenged. Another went on the offensive and tried to force me out of the class, even to the point of sending me emails telling me to drop the class because I had no chance to pass it. Unfortunately most kids in college lack the intestinal fortitude to stand up to professors and end up either buying into the rubbish or being ostracized for their refusal to buy into it.

When I was in college most people would write papers that would coincide with the professors opinions so they would get a better grade. And the truth is some professors will get defensive and the grade will be take a hit because the student doesn't agree with him or her.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

When I was in college most people would write papers that would coincide with the professors opinions so they would get a better grade. And the truth is some professors will get defensive and the grade will be take a hit because the student doesn't agree with him or her.

I ran into that in high school Comparative Civilizations class. He was a good enough teacher, just arrogant. I finally gathered all my papers and sat him down to ask why my grades were so low. After a bit of talking he admitted that, though I didn't give the answers he was looking for, I wasn't wrong. He graded me a lot easier after that.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Boston Red Sox Boston Celtics New England Patriots
    See maccards44's Items on eBay

The whole point of this thread is summed up pretty well here:
    it is liberal to teach a class that teaches that if you are white you have benefited from racism.

You are calling something historically accurate and still true FOR A SOCIETY today "liberal" -- Again it is no more liberal than conservative.
    It just is - and the fact that 'just is' -- does NOT mean it is true for every single white individual in a society (see also -- you specifically) but it is true for the group or the society.

It IS also something you are going to hear in a textbook on multiculteral education.
    You have essentially made an angry ranting thread about a textbook for a class called multiculteral education because the textbook includes:
    a) education
    b) multiculturalism
    Am I missing something? Were you expecting math?

You keep saying the book claims white people are all born racist - you know nothing you quoted says that right?
    In fact it says, "At the beginning, whites usually do not recognize the significance of race." That's what you quoted. It says the opposite of one being born racist.

And another thing, in terms of gays - What is so wrong in your view of teaching "inclusion"? What's so bad about making gays feel like they belong? Again - Why is that "liberal" idea? Do "conservatives" think that gays shouldn't belong or feel welcome being who they are? I don't think so. I think most conservatives would reject that idea. You are fundamentally mislabeling common sense for "liberalism"

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast