The 71/72 OPC Checklist

Out of curiosity, why is this checklist so expensive? It's my favorite OPC set of all time (at least from the 60s/70s/80s), but why is the one checklist in the set hundreds of dollars while the others aren't?

The reason is simple. Every kid I know including yours truly marked that checklist so good luck find one in pristine unmarked condition. Hence the price.

Quote Originally Posted by piper1 View Post
    The reason is simple. Every kid I know including yours truly marked that checklist so good luck find one in pristine unmarked condition. Hence the price.
    But that's just the thing; there are several checklists from that same year OPC (I think), but the one has a much higher value than the rest (or, for that matter, every other year's CL)?

It could be a low population on grading? or it could be a SP depending on where it was placed on the uncut sheet. How expensive? The 2 checklists I need for my 65-66 Topps PSA 8 or better are gonna cost me $400-700 each
    TOP WANTS 07/08 ITG Ultimate Cornerstones /9
    any and all

Hidden Content

The base BV is $500, and I think that's EXMT (or worse). There's one up on eBay either 7.5 or 8 for $3000, and nice looking ungraded for $1500, and one that looks about VG/EX for $800. Those are the only 3 unmarked ones up. It's basically THE hardest OPC card to find (there may be more 9.5 Gretzky's than it).

I did a little digging around on the topic. I remember reading a long time ago that this checklist was a very pricy one, but didn't recall why.

To the best of my ability, I can only find one reason why its so much more expensive than the other checklist that year: Becuase 15-20 years ago, everyone's favorite price guide said it was.

Reading some posts on vintage fourms that I came across, there seemed to be a consensus that this checklist is no rarer than #264, yet it is worth significantly more money.

That actually makes a ton of sense. I guess maybe 15-20 years ago, it was dried up for some reason and the market price just stayed the same on it.