Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thread: 77-78 topps question

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See jimmyboy3's Items on eBay

77-78 topps question

I just bought (ebay) a 1977-78 Kareem Abdul Jabbar #1 to finish off a set I want to sell. I noticed that the stock it is printed on is different than all of the other cards I already have (which I have had since 1977). It has a gray back, but all of the others have a bright white back. Anyone expierienced this in the past? I didn't pay alot for it, but I just can't put it in the set with the rest.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Update... seller thinks it might be Canadian version, but card says on back prtd in USA. In my experience, OPC has always used brighter stock than US versions. I have no idea whats going on with this card. Just bot another one.

SCF Rewards
    Country

You mean like this?

Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Oklahoma City Thunder Cleveland Cavaliers Miami Heat
    See lantern-marsh's Items on eBay

I have some of those, too. I always assumed the gray ones were just more worn and more faded.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I'm not positive since it is vintage basketball but they changed or had a different place printing the cards. So the card stock was different resulting in different colored backs. Sometimes there is a premium on the "white", sometimes there is a premium on the "gray", and sometimes they are printed in the same quantities.

SCF Rewards
    Country

You mean like this?

Yep, thats exactly whats going on. any explanation?

SCF Rewards
    Country

I'm not positive since it is vintage basketball but they changed or had a different place printing the cards. So the card stock was different resulting in different colored backs. Sometimes there is a premium on the "white", sometimes there is a premium on the "gray", and sometimes they are printed in the same quantities.

My thot was a later print run. All of the cars I have I got as a child in 77 have white backs. Just dug them out and realized I only needed 17 to finish a second set.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See undefeated*'s Items on eBay

The whole set exists in both white and gray stock. Beckett says the white stock versions are rarer, but I found that's not true. It was way, way, WAY easier for me to complete the white stock set than the gray stock set.