Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oh, My God

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See bobobag's Items on eBay

Oh, My God

With the shorthand "OMG" (oh, my God) becoming a huge cliche, it might be worth taking a look at how Americans are seeing the Almighty these days -- that is if they are looking at all.A recent Gallup poll indicates that...

More...

SCF Rewards
    Country

Oh....my....god!

This is going to be so much fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Billo
    A recent Gallup poll indicates that just 31 percent of Americans worship publicly on a weekly basis, while 43 percent rarely go to a church, synagogue or mosque.

What's the matter Bill?

Don't like the fact that more and more Americans are becoming less religious.....I wonder why?

Growing up under the heavy hand of the School Sisters of Notre Dame, it was drummed into me that attending weekly Mass was not an option. It was a must to avoid eternal damnation, which was not a prospect filled with many positives. Hellfire was perpetual, and no parole would be offered.

LOLOLOLOL.....oh I see, you answered my question.

Because of the fear mongering religion imposes on people.

Today, only 24 percent of American Catholics attend weekly Mass, and so Lucifer must be very busy expanding accommodations.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Bill, I'll make sure to reference you from now on to show what religion does to people and how those people then go on to influence millions with their nonsense.

Far be it for the public schools to teach this, but the USA was founded on basic Judeo-Christian principles. Don't take my word for it. Take a trip to Washington, D.C., and tour the Supreme Court building. There you will see a sculpted copy of the Ten Commandments on the wall.

You're an IDIOT!

You know as much U.S History as a small child saying this.

And yeah, there's a reason why public schools don't teach this....because it's NOT History!

First of all, the U.S was not founded on ANY religion whatsoever.

Maybe you should read the Treaty of Tripoli....written by John Adams (2nd President of the U.S), and of course one of our founding fathers...

"As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion,—as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Mussulmen,—and as the said States never entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries."

^Also, you should know that this was UNANIMOUSLY ratified by the U.S Senate!

Secondly, you're probably too stupid or ignorant to realize that of the 10 commandments, only TWO are actual U.S laws.....(no stealing or murdering).

You would think that a country that was actually founded in christian principles would in fact incorporate ALL 10 commandments into their laws!

BTW Bill, I wouldn't be at the very least surprised if you couldn't name half of the ten commandments.

Seeing as MOST Americans can't actually name them all!

But why? Moses wasn't an American. He didn't cross the Red Sea into Delaware.

You're so bad at history, I wouldn't be surprised if you actually thought this was so....

The reason the commandments are on display is that the Founding Fathers based the American legal system on honesty and on the avoidance of doing harm to others -- the basic tenets of the commandments.

Wow, you really don't know the 10 commandments do you?

The first 4 commandments are all about god, and funny enough, by saying "Oh my God" as the title of your garbage blog, you VIOLATED one of these commandments (#3 Thou shalt not use the name of god in vain.)

#5 is about honoring your parents.....while this is nice, it's not a law nor do the founders say anything specific about it.

#6 is Thou shalt not kill.....If you think that the founders or any society actually believes that humans did not know that killing each other was bad up until Moses came down from the mountain....than you are hopeless.

#7 Do not commit adultery.....Hey Bill, mind telling me why this isn't a law? Mind telling me why divorce is legal in the U.S, and why adultery has NEVER been punishable in the U.S?

#8 Do not steal.....this is the only other commandment that is a law, and likewise, societies well before Moses (if he even existed) had this in play.

#9 Do not lie.....another commandment that is not a law.....BTW Bill, you are guilty of this on a daily basis with all the lies you say on your TV program.

#10 Do not covet.....and yet another commandment which has zero application anywhere in the U.S.

Wait.....so how are these 10 commandments (ONLY 2 of which are valid and in reality are just societal concepts) suppose to shape our legal system or whatever?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    But many secular Americans, including the ACLU, would dismantle the Supreme Court display if they could.

Yes bill, because it doesn't belong there.

It is a religious symbol and should have no place in a government building.

Furthermore, like I have already proven 8 of the 10 mandates are null and void and have NOTHING to do with the Supreme Court, our laws, the U.S or anything.

It is purely religious....nothing more.

We are now in the age of anti-religion, where pious folks are looked upon as odd.

Well, if YOU Bill are a representation of these "Pious" folk, they won't be looked upon as "odd" but simply ignorant of history, religion, and laws.

Religion is a bad thing to the secular-progressive.

It's too judgmental and stands in the way of unfettered abortion, gay marriage and other sacred causes of the S-P movement.

The main problem with religion is that it's terribly outdated and not meant to be used for today's modern world where we don't sacrifice goats, we don't treat women like our property, and we don't kill people just because they disagree with our beliefs.

You are stuck in the past, you like the traditional methods that your religion provide you, but that simply won't cut it in today's nor tomorrow's world.

You can choose to keep this system, but if you expect the world to simply halt and not progress, then I suggest you give up this nonsense "culture war" which you simply can't win.

Faith-based organizations such as the Catholic Church should be fighting against secularism, but they rarely do. Instead, they are on the defensive, as scandals and apathy have devastated organized religion.

If anything, the Catholic Church is one of the easiest targets.

LOL, what the hell do they have to fight back?

They have so many problems, the pope can't even keep his job due to all the scandals...

================================================== ============================

Overall, this blog showed Bill's utter incomprehension of American history, the 10 commandments, and why he is trying to pedal his sinking boat against an incoming wave.

This is simply too easy.
    Last edited by JustAlex; 03-09-2013 at 04:22 AM.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

America was founded on Judeo-Christian principle though.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bodyelectricmethod's Items on eBay

wickabee, you are right

alex, the government may not be based on Christianity, but America was founded on and influenced by religion perhaps more so than anything else, people came here to practice their religion. The English, Germans, Irish, and others came for this reason.

you say Christianity then mention sacrifice of goats?

and I have proven with quotes, from supreme court judges, in landmark cases, that religion can be taught about in school. it is also a known fact that religion has shaped the world, has always been part of human life in every culture in every age and that the academic study of religion is perhaps the best multidisciplinary major anyone could take.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

It means nothing in the scheme of running a country on religion, but everything American law is based on is based on Judeo-Christian principle.
    That does not mean the US is a Christian nation and should not be used as such an argument. But to say the US isn't founded on Judeo-Christian principles is to say you don't understand what Judeo-Christian principle (incidentally, Billo is just as wrong and obviously doesn't know what it means either.

Judeo-Christian principles are responsible for most of Western Society today. It has nothing to do with the religious aspect, just that's where our moral code originates.

SCF Rewards
    Country

#1 Define Judeo-Christian principles. (This should be good).

#2 Show evidence that this country was indeed founded on said principles.

Because I have my proof ready to show that this country was founded on Secular principles.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

#1 Define Judeo-Christian principles. (This should be good).

It has nothing to do with religion and everything to do with society's accepted moral code. You see "Judeo-Christian" and think religious beliefs. It's not. IT's simply the moral code that Western Society has chosen to abide by, religious or not.

#2 Show evidence that this country was indeed founded on said principles.

All of modern day western society is founded on said principles, and the US is the pinnacle of modern day western society. I don't have the time to go through an entire year of history class with you, you'll have to actually do some research on your own for that one, but yeah, eveything around you is based in Judeo-Christian principles. NOT beliefs, as you seem to think, PRINCIPLES.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bodyelectricmethod's Items on eBay

alex, read an academic book on American History and all your answers will be there, if you need a suggestion let me know, I still have mine from my American History college course.

what is your proof? maybe some out of context quotes?

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

alex...
    what is your proof? maybe some out of context quotes?

And what do YOU think "Judeo-Christian principles" means?
    (this should be good)

SCF Rewards
    Country

HA!

Let me get this straight....your proof for America being based on Judeo-Christian principles (the whole concept of Judeo-christian is an oxymoron to begin with, seeing as these two religions are actually quite different and have VERY different beliefs, laws, and systems) is based on Morality?

Morality?

What....the Bible's morality?

The OT morality?

the NT morality?

You gotta be kidding me.

Do you think these people invented the Golden rule or something?

and how hilarious that the only example that Billo gave was the 10 commandments which I was very easily able to eviscerate, but you guys can't give me a SINGLE example of this "moral code" that you claim was founded by "Judeo-Christain principle" and then implemented into our government?

How exactly?

When?

By Who?

Where is this written?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast