Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Questions From A Beginner

I've been collecting autographs off and on through both online and ttm request since last June. Since that time,
    I've gotten 251 autographs from 182 different people, so I guess I'm doing good with that.

Thats fun and everything, but I've been wanting to start collecting cards too and am wondering how to start.

-What kinds of boxes of cards should I buy?

-How should I ship cards during trades? .....envelope? package?, how to protect the cards during shipping?

-What kind of holders should I use for "thick" cards?.................I currently use magnetic holders for autographed cards of great players, and a binder for the regulars.

Thanks for any and all help!
    Last edited by CliffAnderson92; 03-20-2013 at 05:02 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Hi, welcome! So first of all regarding boxes it really depends on what you're looking to collect and what your budget looks like. If you're just looking for set building and one or two hits for reasonably cheap, a lot of the current Topps products are good for that. I essentially only collect higher end stuff so someone else might be able to tell you more but I've heard that Topps Heritage and Alen and Ginters are pretty good for that kind of thing. I myself prefer boxes with less cards but almost all "hits" (autographs and game used cards) such as National Treasures, Topps Tripple Threads and Legendary Cuts. These do run pretty high (National treasures is around 400 a box, 8 cards, all auto GU, Topps Tripple Threads are about $200 a box with 12 cards, 6 autos or GUsd and some base/numbered and the current Legendary Cuts run around $170 for one card but they are all cut autos. Frankly if you really want to build a high end collection without spending too much its better to buy single cards on ebay or elsewhere but if you're addicted to the thrill of opening packs like I am the higher end products are the way to go.

On to your second question: When I ship I put all the cards in top loaders, tape them together and send in a bubble envelope. If its a high value trade I also include insurance and delivery confirmation.

Holders: I use one touch magnetic holders for my high end pc stuff, 35pt for normal cards, 75pt for slightly thicker autos and stuff and 100pt for GUsd and 135pt for extra thick stuff like the cards from national treasures. For my trading stuff I usually use extra thick toploaders, 3mm works pretty well for standerd game used.

Hope that helps! If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask!

Kyle T.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Also if I ever need to send an extra thick card but don't have a toploader of the right size I put the card in a penny sleeve, put a regular toploader on both sides and then tape the edges. This works pretty well.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Thanks!

I think I will try to go for the high end boxes from now on, instead of getting a bunch of pack, with maybe 1-2 hit's at the most.

What size is the bubble envelope, and how much does it cost to ship......could I just use a few stamps, or would I have to
    go to the post office?