Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See robpbs's Items on eBay

Early 90s Upper Deck Inserts

Hi everyone... I'm working on master sets of Upper Deck hockey from the 90s to now and I'm wondering why there are so few of certain inserts available online.

Specifically the 1992-93 World Junior Grads and the 1993-94 NHL's Best, Future Heroes, Programme of Excellence and most importantly, the Award Winners.

I know the WJGs were in Canadian Jumbo packs only or something, were these just produced in smaller quantities or something?

The 1993-94 Award Winners are another story though. With these, I've only ever seen the Chelios Norris Trophy in person (I have 2 - one pack pulled in 1993 and the other came in a large lot).

Help! This is getting worse than the 1994-95 Leaf Gold Stars!

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

There's a few issues with those cards.....

Some of them, like the WJ Grads, you nailed it. They were only available in specific packs - so I suspect there are less of them than other UD inserts from the same year.

I think the other problem is lack of demand. I know when I was putting together a Future Heroes set a couple years ago, they were tough to find. I remember needing the Lindros & Mogilny to finsih the set. My LCS actually had boxes of 93-94, and I got lucky and pulled the Lindros (wanted a base set anyway - so it was a good purchase) but it took me a couple of months to find a copy of the Mogilny. When it finally did surface, I got it for 99 cents + shipping.

I think the dealers sitting on those cards don't bother listing them, becuase they don't see even a small chance of getting much back for them.

Most of those cards though, they're not particularly rare. If you keep looking, they'll show up eventually.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thanks

Patience pays off I suppose.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See prior35's Items on eBay

I have some of those if you need them. Pm me if you want them

SCF Rewards
    Country

PM Sent

New Project Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    See coolhandluke907's Items on eBay

I think many collected cards and stop so there may be many sitting in closet. Also many have them and simply do not bother. I started latly to list some 90's insert but still have more to add in the inventory but mine are more 1990 and 91. But If I list them then I end up trading for some of them. Since I still have many cards to list I prefer to list the most recent stuff first.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Ottawa Senators
    See atmx093's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I have an Award Winners of Pierre Turgeon, card #AW7

SCF Rewards
    Country

I have an Award Winners of Pierre Turgeon, card #AW7

Already have that one. Thanks though

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See BigEd76's Items on eBay

I remember looking for the Felix Potvin Future Heroes card from that 93-94 set for almost 10 years because nobody was offering it online, but I eventually found an auction and completed my set. Gotta be patient with some of these sets.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Toronto Blue Jays Kansas City Chiefs
    See resurrect_my_collect's Items on eBay

I, too, have been trying to complete some older early 90s sets (mostly stuff that brings back memories of collecting with my brother from my childhood), and I have had a lot of success just by posting my wants on the forums. The SCF Inventory also helped me connect with a few traders who had some set killers I needed.