Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

I don't understand Segregated groups/organizations at Universities??

So, I work/supervise for the Student Union at a University (basically)

What I do not understand is how there are so many groups that are completely segregated and how that isn't a concern...

meaning...

Frats, Sororities, Student Organizations that are STRICTLY Racial.

i.e. Black American Graduates, African-American Business Association, etc... the list goes on.

I don't understand how that isn't segregation to the Highest Level.

The stipulation of being a member is racial, AND it segregates cultures, races, etc.

Now, if a white person were to have "White Engineering Association" there would be a complete uproar!

My point... regardless of your race, how is it that certain things fly and others don't. Obviously, we as a society (world society) NEVER want to discriminate or repeat events that happened with Blacks, Slaves, Jews, American Indians etc, etc that hopefully education and awareness will move the world from ever doing that again...

But how is this acceptable to have racial discrimination by having organizations based on race at University levels... but only certain races. If I joined a group- I would never join an all white or all black organization.. doesnt that defeat the purpose of moving forward from segregation??
    Last edited by Jazzer540; 03-07-2013 at 04:24 PM. Reason: change

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

You have to understand that minorities, women, gays, vegetarians, and other groups have special intrests and often gravitate towards like minded people. These groups are not designed to be discriminatory but to suit the needs of their members. Think about it like this. If you ever been to church I'm sure that your church has certian men's groups prehaps a men's choir. I'm sure the men's choir at your church was not designed to discriminate against females. Same concept in college.
    Drug and smoke free trading.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Oh, no... I totally understand the WHY part... I just feel that it's not really helping a society be truly multicultural. And why it would be an uproar if there was a "White Graduate Association Group." ...that would be considered racism.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

Oh, no... I totally understand the WHY part... I just feel that it's not really helping a society be truly multicultural. And why it would be an uproar if there was a "White Graduate Association Group." ...that would be considered racism.

You are right it would be considered racist to have a white grad assoc group. Let me ask you this what special needs to white grads have that couldn't be served in any other group that is open to all?

SCF Rewards
    Country

You are right it would be considered racist to have a white grad assoc group. Let me ask you this what special needs to white grads have that couldn't be served in any other group that is open to all?

But not an African American Grad group? I know that's not what you said, but it's the OP's point.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

Why is it racially insensitive to have a White Only Engineering Club but a Blacks Only Engineering Club is perfectly fine? What extra benefits do these black people gain from segregating themselves and setting the state of race relations back 60 years?

SCF Rewards
    Country

true, certain races and sexes could have "special needs" or concerns about but what I am saying isn't the point is to eliminate those "extras?" And how to go about doing that would be for everyone to understand those and to have everyone try to understand why they are there?
    and... just because somebody is white doesn't mean that they have everything right there for them. Just because somebody is of different race and culture doesn't automatically mean they don't have everything there. To say white people can access everything is not true, just as it would be to say the opposite

SCF Rewards
    Country

But not an African American Grad group? I know that's not what you said, but it's the OP's point.

That IS what I am saying... I would consider "White American Graduate Program" to be extremely racist and segregated. I don't see how "Mexian Graduate Program, etc" that is ONLY for one certain race.. how is that not segregation- ESPECIALLY on a University campus where they try to promote Diversity

SCF Rewards
    Country

That PROMOTES racism.... why? Because it showcases somebody's race First. People see and notice that organization for their Race first.... and then second for their actual organization.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

That PROMOTES racism.... why? Because it showcases somebody's race First. People see and notice that organization for their Race first.... and then second for their actual organization.

In grade 12, my locker was directly across the hallway from the "Native Resources Room"
    This was a room where native students could go for extra help and a place to study. The native community here is like almost no other on the continent. Case in point, the reserve that I, a non-native, live on intertwines with the municipality of West Kelowna. As such, the majority of shopping in West Kelowna, as well as a lot of the housing, is actually not in WK at all, but on Westbank First Nations land. The Natives who live here aren't living off the land in teepees and they're not fighting to get their land back. They're businessmen, they're construction workers, this may as well be a city, or part of West Kelowna, and not a reserve. In short, this group is unlike most Native groups in a lot of ways and, as a group, are probably the wealthiest Natives on the continent.
    This doesn't mean that they don't have many of the same problem other Native groups and Tribes do. Alcoholism is as rampant here as anywhere and the Native graduation rate is far below the overall rate. There are many who don't live in homes where they can study. Many can certainly benefit from what this "Native Resources Room" offers. I will also right now clarify this school wasn't itself on native land of any sort.

But couldn't many kids of other races also benefit greatly from this? What is the objective of boxing those kids out?

Semi-Related Lighter Side of Racism:
    I call this a Lighter Side story because I truly believe the guy didn't know what he was saying until he said it. Anyway, as I said above, my locker in grade 12 was right across from this Native Resources Room. One day, during a spare, I was sitting in front of my locker reading a book for English Class when a gym class walked through to go to the field. They were all holding lacrosse sticks. Bringing up the rear were a couple of slow walking students, and a T.A. (who had to be about 40) who kept opening doors, poking his head in, saying something, then moving on (it was mostly art classrooms and offices in that particular hallway, so this wasn't abnormal to see). Anyway, the two kids walk by and he eventually gets to me. He nods at me, then knocks on the Native Resources Room door, opens it, pokes his head in and says:
    "Someone in here HAS to know how to play lacrosse. Anyone want to join us on the field?"

Now, that statement matched the muffled speech pattern I heard as he opened dors down the hall, so I'm pretty sure that's the wording he used for every room he looked into, and I can't say if he was aware exactly what room he was looking in, since he was just sweeping his way down the hall, so I don't think it was racist in intent, but I don't think that mattered. He was met with absolute silence. He stood there for a second, gave a "So that's a no?" then backed out slowly, shut the door and took off.

I have to say, I laughed pretty hard at their reaction.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast