Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 82
  1. #31
    Legally, in the U.S. you can. People have sued to do so and won.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wickabee View Post
    Well, I can't join a ladies only gym
    Needs: Brewers Pitcher Mark Rogers '04 pick
    Red Sox - HOF & Current Players
    Current Patriots Cards
    Larry Bird, Carmelo/Lebron/Wade RC's

  2. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by matt_curren View Post
    No offense taken... and that's not specifically what he said. Of course people are discriminated against every day for a variety of reasons small and large, that's not my issue. My issue is that he said people are frequently denied the right to buy goods and services based on thier gender and/or skin color. I don't personally see that in this country very often - if ever. So I am curious to know where he is seeing that so often. Maybe it happens a lot and I'm naive?
    Do you think gays are turned away frequently? I think it just makes the news more often because it brings in better ratings and/or more page hits.

    And yes, I believe it's nave to think people aren't turned away just as often for various other reasons. That may be your opinion that they aren't, but I'd then think that opinion couldn't be more wrong.
    Last edited by gladdyontherise; 03-10-2013 at 10:16 AM.
    Click banner for tradelist
    Hidden Content
    Dan LeFevour PC 192/283

  3. #33


    Wickabee's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    16,937
    Country
    Card Cash
    250.00
    Savings
    0.00
    Blog Entries
    2
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)

    View my Inventory New
    View my store Beta
    Quote Originally Posted by matt_curren View Post
    Legally, in the U.S. you can. People have sued to do so and won.
    Whatever. DO you seriously believe ONLY gays are EVER discriminated against? Because that's what you're arguing. Since I have a little more time at the moment.

    Not Gay:
    http://news.yahoo.com/video/disabled...043338869.html

    Not Gay:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-prove-21.html

    Not Gay:
    http://jezebel.com/5070932/woman-den...ing-black-hair

    Not Gay:
    http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/1...f-being-Muslim


    Your move.

  4. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by gladdyontherise View Post
    Do you think gays are turned away frequently? I think it just makes the news more often because it brings in better ratings and/or more page hits.
    No, I already said I don't think it happens very often..to anyone.. gays included. YOU are the one saying it happens often and it isn't that big a deal. Yet with no examples.
    Needs: Brewers Pitcher Mark Rogers '04 pick
    Red Sox - HOF & Current Players
    Current Patriots Cards
    Larry Bird, Carmelo/Lebron/Wade RC's

  5. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Wickabee View Post
    Whatever. DO you seriously believe ONLY gays are EVER discriminated against? Because that's what you're arguing.
    Actually, I said the opposite of that. See:
    Quote Originally Posted by matt_curren View Post
    Of course people are discriminated against every day for a variety of reasons small and large
    And the fact that you found 4 examples from the past 5 years and they all made the news...sort of proves my point:
    People denied goods and services based on who they are is a rare (and therefore newsworthy) occurance is this country.
    Needs: Brewers Pitcher Mark Rogers '04 pick
    Red Sox - HOF & Current Players
    Current Patriots Cards
    Larry Bird, Carmelo/Lebron/Wade RC's

  6. #36


    Wickabee's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    16,937
    Country
    Card Cash
    250.00
    Savings
    0.00
    Blog Entries
    2
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)

    View my Inventory New
    View my store Beta
    Quote Originally Posted by JustAlex View Post
    Yes.

    And some due to being bullied for their sexual orientation....does that change anything?
    Change anything? No. But it does mean that bullying is NOT strictly a gay issue, as they (and you) try to make it.


    Quote Originally Posted by JustAlex View Post
    What a terrible Strawman and non-sequitur to my argument.
    Yes, you know big words. Br-freakin-vo.


    Quote Originally Posted by JustAlex View Post
    Who the hell is pretending the only bullying is due to sexual orientation?

    That's such a terrible argument that absolutely NO ONE is making.

    I'm saying that gay kids DO kill themselves due to others bullying them for being gay.

    It's a valid argument, never did I say that bullying wasn't an equally important issue for non-gay reasons.

    Seriously, I don't even understand what you're doing here....
    What I'm doing here is showing frustration at gay rights activists treating bullying as a strictly gay issue. Someone coming in and claiming no one is discriminated against and denied goods or services for any reason other than sexual orientation is beyond ridiculous. I'm reponding to that.

    What you're doing is beyond me.

    Quote Originally Posted by JustAlex View Post
    NONSENSE!

    And unless you show HARD proof, I'm calling you out on this one.
    The only nonsense is asking for HARD!!!!!111OMGLOLZERS!!!111 proof of something I've noticed in my day to day life.

  7. #37


    Wickabee's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    16,937
    Country
    Card Cash
    250.00
    Savings
    0.00
    Blog Entries
    2
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)

    View my Inventory New
    View my store Beta
    Quote Originally Posted by matt_curren View Post
    Actually, I said the opposite of that. See:


    And the fact that you found 4 examples from the past 5 years and they all made the news...sort of proves my point:
    People denied goods and services based on who they are is a rare (and therefore newsworthy) occurance is this country.
    I wasn't looking hard.
    And anyway, what's your point? It's starting to look like you're ignoring gladdy's actual point for the sake of arguing over a few (potentially poorly chosen) words.

  8. #38


    Wickabee's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    16,937
    Country
    Card Cash
    250.00
    Savings
    0.00
    Blog Entries
    2
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)

    View my Inventory New
    View my store Beta
    And it could be that it happens so often it's not really newsworthy, other than the odd one.

  9. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by matt_curren View Post
    No, I already said I don't think it happens very often..to anyone.. gays included. YOU are the one saying it happens often and it isn't that big a deal. Yet with no examples.
    Then it's poor wording by me. The scenario I gave you is common, in my opinion.

    I do believe though it's not just gays who get turned away from buying goods and/or services though. To believe that would be pretty short sighted, in my opinon.
    Click banner for tradelist
    Hidden Content
    Dan LeFevour PC 192/283

  10. #40
    I'm not ignoring anyone's actual point... the OP was about a story about people being denied a service b/c they are gay. Gladdy's point was that it happens to people all the time and not just to gay people. (He just reiterated that point above) Wick - you seem to feel the same way. I'll agree to disagree with both of you and still believe I don't think it is common to gays or anyone else. I think 99.9% of the time a business could care less if you are pink, purple, gay or muslim -- they just want to sell you something. And that's GOOD.
    Needs: Brewers Pitcher Mark Rogers '04 pick
    Red Sox - HOF & Current Players
    Current Patriots Cards
    Larry Bird, Carmelo/Lebron/Wade RC's

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •