Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Boston Red Sox Boston Celtics New England Patriots
    See maccards44's Items on eBay

Legally, in the U.S. you can. People have sued to do so and won.

Well, I can't join a ladies only gym

maccards44 everywhere 'bay, etc
    Just Selling Right Now

OPG Staff

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See gladdyontherise's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

No offense taken... and that's not specifically what he said. Of course people are discriminated against every day for a variety of reasons small and large, that's not my issue. My issue is that he said people are frequently denied the right to buy goods and services based on thier gender and/or skin color. I don't personally see that in this country very often - if ever. So I am curious to know where he is seeing that so often. Maybe it happens a lot and I'm naive?

Do you think gays are turned away frequently? I think it just makes the news more often because it brings in better ratings and/or more page hits.

And yes, I believe it's naďve to think people aren't turned away just as often for various other reasons. That may be your opinion that they aren't, but I'd then think that opinion couldn't be more wrong.
    Last edited by gladdyontherise; 03-10-2013 at 10:16 AM.
    Click banner for tradelist
    Hidden Content
    Dan LeFevour PC 192/283

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

Legally, in the U.S. you can. People have sued to do so and won.

Whatever. DO you seriously believe ONLY gays are EVER discriminated against? Because that's what you're arguing. Since I have a little more time at the moment.

Not Gay:
    http://news.yahoo.com/video/disabled...043338869.html

Not Gay:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-prove-21.html

Not Gay:
    http://jezebel.com/5070932/woman-den...ing-black-hair

Not Gay:
    http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/1...f-being-Muslim

Your move.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Do you think gays are turned away frequently? I think it just makes the news more often because it brings in better ratings and/or more page hits.

No, I already said I don't think it happens very often..to anyone.. gays included. YOU are the one saying it happens often and it isn't that big a deal. Yet with no examples.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Whatever. DO you seriously believe ONLY gays are EVER discriminated against? Because that's what you're arguing.

Actually, I said the opposite of that. See:
    Of course people are discriminated against every day for a variety of reasons small and large

And the fact that you found 4 examples from the past 5 years and they all made the news...sort of proves my point:
    People denied goods and services based on who they are is a rare (and therefore newsworthy) occurance is this country.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

Yes.

And some due to being bullied for their sexual orientation....does that change anything?

Change anything? No. But it does mean that bullying is NOT strictly a gay issue, as they (and you) try to make it.

What a terrible Strawman and non-sequitur to my argument.

Yes, you know big words. Br-freakin-vo.

Who the hell is pretending the only bullying is due to sexual orientation?

That's such a terrible argument that absolutely NO ONE is making.

I'm saying that gay kids DO kill themselves due to others bullying them for being gay.

It's a valid argument, never did I say that bullying wasn't an equally important issue for non-gay reasons.

Seriously, I don't even understand what you're doing here....

What I'm doing here is showing frustration at gay rights activists treating bullying as a strictly gay issue. Someone coming in and claiming no one is discriminated against and denied goods or services for any reason other than sexual orientation is beyond ridiculous. I'm reponding to that.

What you're doing is beyond me.

NONSENSE!

And unless you show HARD proof, I'm calling you out on this one.

The only nonsense is asking for HARD!!!!!111OMGLOLZERS!!!111 proof of something I've noticed in my day to day life.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

Actually, I said the opposite of that. See:

And the fact that you found 4 examples from the past 5 years and they all made the news...sort of proves my point:
    People denied goods and services based on who they are is a rare (and therefore newsworthy) occurance is this country.

I wasn't looking hard.
    And anyway, what's your point? It's starting to look like you're ignoring gladdy's actual point for the sake of arguing over a few (potentially poorly chosen) words.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

And it could be that it happens so often it's not really newsworthy, other than the odd one.

OPG Staff

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See gladdyontherise's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

No, I already said I don't think it happens very often..to anyone.. gays included. YOU are the one saying it happens often and it isn't that big a deal. Yet with no examples.

Then it's poor wording by me. The scenario I gave you is common, in my opinion.

I do believe though it's not just gays who get turned away from buying goods and/or services though. To believe that would be pretty short sighted, in my opinon.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I'm not ignoring anyone's actual point... the OP was about a story about people being denied a service b/c they are gay. Gladdy's point was that it happens to people all the time and not just to gay people. (He just reiterated that point above) Wick - you seem to feel the same way. I'll agree to disagree with both of you and still believe I don't think it is common to gays or anyone else. I think 99.9% of the time a business could care less if you are pink, purple, gay or muslim -- they just want to sell you something. And that's GOOD.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast