Top 85 free agents: Mike Wallace tops best available

This year's free-agent crop is a lot like this year's draft class: It's not that exciting at the top, but there is better depth than usual.

Ranked below: My top 85 free agents set to hit the market. Why 85? I want to leave room to add players who will get cut before free agency starts on March 12. This will be an ever-changing list until then. Originally, we had guys like Joe Flacco, Ryan Clady, Henry Melton, and Dwayne Bowe at the top of this list. We've since removed seven of our top 11 players them because of long-term deals and franchise tag designations getting doled out.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...Email.NL.5.NFL
    Hidden Content
    Actions are backed up by words, I wish more of us backed them up!!!
    If you have talent with video editing and would like to join the staff drop me a pm!
    Want to see my tradelist type in doniceage under the Hidden Content .

I saw this and my first thought was that if Mike Wallace is the top free agent then this is a weak free agent year. I like Wallace and all, but ask any Steelers fan about him and you will almost always hear "drops a lot of passes" associated with him. Speed kills defenses, dropped passes kills offensive success. Wallace dropped way too many wide-open deep passes for my liking and he is far from a polished route runner. I am not the least bit unhappy to see him leave.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    "Amidst the uncertainties of war, every soldier is entitled to one certainty...that he will not be forgotten.
    Poor is the nation that has no heroes, shameful is the one that, having them...forgets."

Quote Originally Posted by duane1969 View Post
    I saw this and my first thought was that if Mike Wallace is the top free agent then this is a weak free agent year. I like Wallace and all, but ask any Steelers fan about him and you will almost always hear "drops a lot of passes" associated with him. Speed kills defenses, dropped passes kills offensive success. Wallace dropped way too many wide-open deep passes for my liking and he is far from a polished route runner. I am not the least bit unhappy to see him leave.
    the next santonio holmes?
    Banner For BucketHidden Content
    Looking For: Gronkowski, Brady, 2011 Certified

I doubt that whoever gets him will get as much out of him as the Steelers did. Look at Steelers game film and you will see that his value is as a guy who just runs fast and deep. He doesn't read defenses or coverage well, he rarely adjusts his route because the QB is under pressure or he sees a blitz is coming and knows the QB will need to get rid of the ball fast, he isn't big or strong enough to defeat hard jams from DBs, he rarely jukes or fakes out defenders after he has the ball, and he virtually disappears if he is double covered.

If somebody wants to pay him $15 mill a season to run deep, fast routes, good for him. I just doubt that he will do much for any team that doesn't have a QB that can accurately throw the ball 50 yards down field. If the QB has arm strength issues or poor downfield accuracy then Wallace's value is minimal.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    "Amidst the uncertainties of war, every soldier is entitled to one certainty...that he will not be forgotten.
    Poor is the nation that has no heroes, shameful is the one that, having them...forgets."

If Mike Wallace is rated as the top free agent available then it IS a weak free agency class. Combine that with the weak draft and ESPN is going to have to create more "news" this off season.
    Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

As if he has been reading my mind (and my posts on here) Bucky Brooks nearly mirrored what I have had to say about Wallace.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...rize-will-rise

The rumor mill has it that Wallace will be a Dolphin as no other teams have expressed willingness to pay him the $11 mill a season that he wants.
    Last edited by duane1969; 03-11-2013 at 12:53 PM.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

this should be a season where teams make a statement. just dont sign any of these guys except for maybe 2-3mil one year deals and make them prove themselves or let them sit and watch the football season on tv. that would drive the costs of free agents down. of course this wont happen cause teams like the dolphins will pay a guy like wallace too much and some team from the afc north will way over pay a qb worth half his salary.............(enter obvious name here). in 5 years this will happen due to economics. theres just too many players out there that perform just the same as these guys for 1/3 the price or less. time to let the old leave and sign the young guys willing to work and play hard. a few years of that would make a loud statement for free agents and make them contemplate if they are about the game or about the money.
    pc is spectra spectra spectra