Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Definitely a lot of great information in here that new collectors should take the time to read
    Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

So 2010 is a "pre-rookie" higher priced cards, 2011s are RCs. Is that correct? I thank you for this info, I always get confused with all the Bowman issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottish Punk View Post
    So 2010 is a "pre-rookie" higher priced cards, 2011s are RCs. Is that correct? I thank you for this info, I always get confused with all the Bowman issues.
    No problem. It's confusing, I know ;)

The short answer: no. His rookie cards are some of the cards printed in 2012. Any 2012 baseball card with the MLB rookie card logo is considered his true rookie. Any card before that would be considered a pre rookie, or a prospect card.

Now, the long, more complicated answer.

In 2006, the Major League Baseball Players Association (MLBPA) created a new rule which specified when a player could have a "rookie card". The determining factor is when a player is added to his team's 40 man roster, which is, of course, completely up to the team itself. Once a player has been added to the 40 man roster, that player's cards may have the official MLB rookie card logo:

Harper was first added to the National's 40 man roster on August 17, 2010. However, he didn't actually make his MLB debut until April 29th, 2012. So, technically, the 2012 Bowman Baseball could have had a Harper card with the rookie logo (or for that matter, any of his 2011 cards could have had the logo as well). But remember, Bowman Baseball 2012 were actually available for sale on May 4th. There was no way to get the rookie card logo added, as the cards would have already been printed, and shipped to wholesalers, hobby shops, etc. Bowman Chrome came out on October 17th. By then Harper had played his first full year in the bigs, and since he'd already cleared the 40 man roster requirement, Topps added the logo, making one the 2012 Bowman Chrome card one of his official "rookie cards".

If you go to beckett.com, change the drop down to "collectibles", and put his name in, it will give you a list of all the cards that have been produced for Harper. Once you get to page 3, and scroll down, 2012 Bowman Chrome Bryce Harper #214 is the first card listed with the "RC" designation. All those other cards were "prospect cards". People have been watching Harper for quite a while now, and as such, there was big money to be made by including him in baseball card releases. So, his 2010 Chrome USA cards will be red hot if he has the career that many (myself included) think he's going to have. And his 2011 Bowman and Bowman Chrome autographed cards will also continue being red hot. And, there will be demand for the 2012 as they are his official rookie cards.

If you think about it, it makes sense from a business standpoint. Harper cards drive hobby spending. It can just confuse the hell out of the people who participate in the hobby, lol.
    Last edited by the 'stache; 03-15-2013 at 01:29 AM.
    Collecting pre-war, vintage and modern baseball cards.
    Currently working on the T206 set, 1975 Topps, master collections of Roberto Clemente and Robin Yount.

One more thing to keep in mind. A player being on his Major League team's 40 man roster does not mean he is actually playing with the team. All Major League teams, from Opening Day, until September 1st, will have 25 active players (that expands to the full 40 from September 1st on). The 40 man expanded roster includes those 25 active big leaguers, plus any minor league players signed to a Major League contract, as well as any players injured on the 15 day DL. Basically, the other 15 players can be called up to the Major League team immediately.
    Currently working on the T206 set, 1975 Topps, master collections of Roberto Clemente and Robin Yount.

Bumping this up, as Bowman Baseball 2013 comes out May 8th.

The checklist: http://sportscardradio.com/sports-ca...ball-checklist

The box profile: http://www.blowoutcards.com/index.ph...oducts_id=7452

Lots of high profile prospects will have their first Bowman Chrome auto in this release, including: prospects: Taijuan Walker (finally!), Lucas Giolito, Byron Buxton, Alex Meyer, Carlos Correa, and Jario Beras. Rookies: Jake Odorizzi (finally!), Casey Kelley, Adam Eaton.

Bowman Chrome and DP&P will come out later in the year. Look out for Yasiel Puig. I am hoping he will be in one of those two releases.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12