Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2910111213 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by selby56 View Post
    I understand where you are coming from as someone that is not a Browns fan, I'll say that much. To most NFL fans, going for Matt Flynn (who doesn't fit the Browns offense) and only giving up a late round pick or two is worth the risk. But as a Browns fan, I've seen this episode enough. My line of thinking is, let Weeden be the undisputed starter going into camp and see if maybe it improves his confidence. QB competition simply has not worked in Cleveland, and it would be crazy of me to expect it would work this time.
    I see what you are getting at. I guess my problem is that I don't see Weeden as a starting QB that will lead you anywhere. I am approaching it from the perspective that they still have yet to find a viable option. And with Michael Lombardi saying that drafting Weeden was a "panicked disaster", I don't think the Browns front office sees him as the long-term answer either, so I don't see protecting his psyche or trying to boost his confidence. I guess it will all come out in the wash now because they are pretty much tied to Weeden as their starter for at least the next year.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    "Amidst the uncertainties of war, every soldier is entitled to one certainty...that he will not be forgotten.
    Poor is the nation that has no heroes, shameful is the one that, having them...forgets."

Quote Originally Posted by duane1969 View Post
    I see what you are getting at. I guess my problem is that I don't see Weeden as a starting QB that will lead you anywhere. I am approaching it from the perspective that they still have yet to find a viable option. And with Michael Lombardi saying that drafting Weeden was a "panicked disaster", I don't think the Browns front office sees him as the long-term answer either, so I don't see protecting his psyche or trying to boost his confidence. I guess it will all come out in the wash now because they are pretty much tied to Weeden as their starter for at least the next year.
    if they at least build a good team around him and give him what he needs to be successful then they could say they gave it a good run and bring in a guy that can produce after that. no qb will be good if they have a bad team around them. at least last year they started trying to build something of an offense. a few more pieces and they will contend in the afc north. weeden doesnt have to be stellar or great; just good. a legit #1 receiver and a more solid front line will make a big difference for the browns. hopefully they attack those spots in the draft cause there's some good ones they will be able to get.
    pc is spectra spectra spectra

Quote Originally Posted by meandsharon11 View Post
    if they at least build a good team around him and give him what he needs to be successful then they could say they gave it a good run and bring in a guy that can produce after that. no qb will be good if they have a bad team around them. at least last year they started trying to build something of an offense. a few more pieces and they will contend in the afc north. weeden doesnt have to be stellar or great; just good. a legit #1 receiver and a more solid front line will make a big difference for the browns. hopefully they attack those spots in the draft cause there's some good ones they will be able to get.
    This draft will be very telling as to whether the new ownership will make a difference. If they trade out of the 6th pick and then draft someone that they could have gotten in the 2nd round, then it is status quo. If they are smart enough to pull the trigger on Tayvon Austin then they will have provided some evidence that they are changing their stripes by actually drafting playmakers. Using the 6th pick on a defensive player would be a bad decision IMO because there is no single defensive player that will make much impact on their 25th ranked pass defense or 19th ranked run defense. The best help they can give their defense is an offense that can manage an occasional successful drive and stay on the field for more than 3 plays.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    "Amidst the uncertainties of war, every soldier is entitled to one certainty...that he will not be forgotten.
    Poor is the nation that has no heroes, shameful is the one that, having them...forgets."

Quote Originally Posted by duane1969 View Post
    This draft will be very telling as to whether the new ownership will make a difference. If they trade out of the 6th pick and then draft someone that they could have gotten in the 2nd round, then it is status quo. If they are smart enough to pull the trigger on Tayvon Austin then they will have provided some evidence that they are changing their stripes by actually drafting playmakers. Using the 6th pick on a defensive player would be a bad decision IMO because there is no single defensive player that will make much impact on their 25th ranked pass defense or 19th ranked run defense. The best help they can give their defense is an offense that can manage an occasional successful drive and stay on the field for more than 3 plays.
    I agree their biggest problem has been a lack of playmakers on offense and a better offense will improve their defense. They need a top notch receiver and o-lineman to give weeden a chance. After that they just have to ride it and see how it plays out.

I think we are fine with the offensive line. Two Pro Bowlers in Joe Thomas and Alex Mack, a 2nd round sophomore in Mitchell Schwartz at RT, and Pinkston at guard started every game for us his rookie year and last year until his blood clot. We could upgrade over our RG Shawn Lauvao, but it isn't a pressing need. Offensive line is one of the few strengths on this roster.
    Last edited by selby56; 04-11-2013 at 06:10 PM.
    Collecting all Cleveland Teams, Bowling Green State Alumni, South Carolina Alumni, Andre Roberts, Mike Kafka and Baron Davis.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by selby56 View Post
    I think we are fine with the offensive line. Two Pro Bowlers in Joe Thomas and Alex Mack, a 2nd round sophomore in Mitchell Schwartz at RT, and Pinkston at guard started every game for us his rookie year and last year until his blood clot. We could upgrade over our RG Shawn Lauvao, but it isn't a pressing need. Offensive line is one of the few strengths on this roster.
    that's my point with the o-line. Getting one or 2 good backups that are potential starters. They need depth at o-line. Unfortunately in the AFC north that's a pressing need in itself to contend. Obviously nobody can account for losing starters, but having another 2nd or 3rd round guard isn't a bad move.

Steelers retain WR Emmanuel Sanders after matching an offer sheet from the Patriots

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...burgh-steelers

Really glad to see this. Going into next season with Heath Miller coming off of major knee surgery and only Antonio Brown, Plaxico Burress, Jericho Cotchery and 3 or 4 no-name WRs was not going to be good.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

they had very little choice with that. They couldn't afford to lose him. Still see the Steelers picking up a wr by round 2.

I think they flirted with the idea of letting him leave to get the 3rd round compensation pick, but BigBen went to Tomlin and essentially insisted that they keep him. Still it is only a 1 year deal so they will let him leave next year. If he is still there at #17 I really hope they grab Tayvon Austin. I know a lot of "professional analyst" are saying he is overrated, but he is a playmaker that is dangerous with the ball in his hands and the Steelers love those versatile guys that can run screens, take end-around handoffs and return kicks and punts as well as run regular pass routes.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2910111213 LastLast