Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thread: So how's YOUR life?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @@oldtimehockey29 See joeaverage67's Items on eBay

So how's YOUR life?

Maybe this post belongs here, maybe it doesn't, but in the great big forests of politics and religion, there are the trees and the bushes and the weeds, and this is about a weed. It's nothing new, it's not a revelation............

There's a homeless guy who "lives" by the Highway 91 overpass in fantastic Queensborough/New Westminster B.C. (Wal-Mart located there since 2008!)

Yesterday morning as I was at the Tim Hortons drive-thru just up the road from the overpass there he was walking around the line-up with his cup out. It was raining and windy and bleeping cold and no one chose to "see" him. For a lousy twoonie he could gone into Timmys a gotten a coffee and gotten out of the rain and maybe felt something other than numb for a little while.

I got my order from the window and got my change and went driving around the strip-mall looking for him and there he was and up close with his haggard face and his straggly beard and his sad eyes he looked exactly like you-know-who, and then he said "God bless you sir, thank you" and his voice was mild & sane. I don't know his story, I was late for work I hadda go, and I'm not sure I could have handled hearing it anyways to be honest. Ya know that little discussion a few of us had about the reasoning behind doing the right thing etc? Well I sure didn't feel smug or self-congratulatory or good. I felt worse. About everything.

That's it that's all, I don't know if there's anything to say about it so don't feel obligated to reply. I don't even know if I conveyed what I'm trying to say properly, I'm not a genius by any means, and my attention span is poop.

I will say this tho.......when one person suffers we all suffer. We can argue here allllll day long about the existence of this and that, or about the fascist-communist gub'mint takin all our guns away, or "killing the unborn" but in the end it doesn't amount to jack.

Things are supposed to be different.
    Last edited by 87sluggo; 03-13-2013 at 06:43 PM.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

Instead of being satisfied with you deed, it reminded you of the state of life so many live with and it had the opposite effect.

Did I boil it down right.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Sort of?

I mean things have to be better and I can't even begin to think about how to fix it and even if I could how could I do it by myself???

That guy deserves better, no matter how he got to where he is.

That life is a pile of crap for so many, you got that part right.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

Yeah I may complain about trivial things such as the weather even thought I have a roof over my head, riding MARTA to work even though I have a job or running out of steak sauce for my veggie burgers even though I have some food in my refrigerator. My bishop told us at church the other day no matter who bad your life is there is someone who has it 10x worse than you and will trade places with you in a heartbeat.
    Drug and smoke free trading.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

When I lived in Calgary one of my hobbies was just walking through downtown. Day or night I'd just walk around. Well, you can't go 8 feet in downtown Calgary without seeing a homeless person. I never had any money, so when the asked for change I'd say I had none and then start a conversation.

I'll tell you something from my experience. Homeless people are hungry and tired. All they want (other than a drink) is food...at least that's what we, and they, think. If you want to make someone's day without spending a dime, have a conversation with these people. After awhile, I started seeking them out. Generally speaking, they have more to say, a more interesting outlook and more stories (both sad and funny) than anyone else I've ever met. Some are creepy and dangerous and I wouldn't recommend anyone put themselves in a bad situation (as I, looking back, often did) but just treating them like the real people we often forget they are can do just as much as a couple of bucks.

SCF Rewards
    Country

When I lived in Calgary one of my hobbies was just walking through downtown. Day or night I'd just walk around. Well, you can't go 8 feet in downtown Calgary without seeing a homeless person. I neverhad any money, so when the asked for change I'd say I had none and then start a conversation.

I'll tell you something from my experience. Homeless people are hungry and tired. All they want (other than a drink) is food...at least that's what we, and they, think. If you want to make someone's day without spending a dime, have a conversation with these people. After awhile, I started seeking them out. Generally speaking, they have more to say, a more interesting outlook and more stories (both sad and funny) than anyone else I've ever met. Some are creepy and dangerous and I wouldn't recommend anyone put themselves in a bad situation (as I, looking back, often did) but just treating them like the real people we often forget they are can do just as much as a couple of bucks.

Was that even safe?

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

Probably not, haha, but I was young and there for invincible.

Seriously though, I went when homeless people called me into dark alleys at night. I may have had a death wish back then (I already told you what my other hobbies were in those days, veg. I believe I referred to them as my weight loss program).

SCF Rewards
    Country

Probably not, haha, but I was young and there for invincible.

Seriously though, I went when homeless people called me into dark alleys at night. I may have had a death wish back then (I already told you what my other hobbies were in those days, veg. I believe I referred to them as my weight loss program).

LOL. Yeah kind of like when I was younger I went into SE DC all hours of the night chasing skirts trying to get a piece. Knock on wood I was never robbed, killed, caught something that I couldn't have gotten rid of or had a whole buch of idiot baby mamas.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I believe I referred to them as my weight loss program).

Was that the weight-loss program through skiing trips? I almost threw Andy Garcia through a window at the height of my program!!!

Ahhhhhhhh youth.

And Veggie, it's not that we complain about our little problems so much as it is we deliberately ignore the things right in front of us. For the most part anyways.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

I remember Andy...not enough snow to go skiing though. But I do remember some really great foliage and very refreshing beverages.
    (I think you figured that out pretty well)