Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

Report shows....Religion among Americans hits record low.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2867626.html

In the 1930s and 1940s the number of Americans who identified themselves as "non-religious" was about 5%

In 1990 that number was 8%

In 2013 that number is 20% (Some studies have it higher, but let's be conservative about this)

But when you break down the demographics....it becomes quite interesting, but not too shocking:

>Men are more likely to be non-religious at 24%......compared to women at 16%

>More than one-third of 18-24 year olds claimed non-religious, compared to 75 year olds or older which is at 7%

>Liberals are at 40% non-religious.

>Conservatives are at 9% non-religious.

>Whites are at 21% non-religious.....compared to African-Americans who are at 17%.

The facts do not lie, America is become less and less religious at a very quick pace.

BTW, 20% is not low at all...that's over 60 Million Americans!

And again, some studies do have this number as high as 32% (Gallup)

We simply have had it with religion.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bodyelectricmethod's Items on eBay

how about using the census? the gallop poll can swing all over the place.

http://www.census.gov/compendia/stat...es/12s0075.pdf

according to the numbers it is 15% and nearly 12,000,000 did not answer

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Denver Broncos Montreal Canadiens Milwaukee Brewers
    See dmdean81's Items on eBay

Congrats! You want some sort of award for converting all these people?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

I think this is a sign of a serious problem within religion especially the big 3. Instead of practicing hatred, division and bigotry they need to be preaching a message of love, forgiveness and tolerance. As long as they keep doing what they do those numbers will only increase.
    Drug and smoke free trading.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

OPG Staff

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Giants New York Yankees New York Rangers

To be honest this wouldn't surprise me.....Our society is still in the mode of instant gratification. Religion, for me, is a life long commitment it usually doesn't offer immediate answers. I range from devout to almost indifference at times.

In other nations, they are typically steeped in tradition and have had a longer time (historically) to reflect on religion and matters of the spiritual.
    Me included, Americans are too busy working, shopping, stressing, play video games, basically chasing the materialistic to concern themselves with religion on the whole. Just my observations recently.........Americans our a people losing their way politically and spiritually. We know more about who got kicked off the latest reality show then what are religious and political leaders are up to. Sad but true......

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

To be honest this wouldn't surprise me.....Our society is still in the mode of instant gratification. Religion, for me, is a life long commitment it usually doesn't offer immediate answers. I range from devout to almost indifference at times.

In other nations, they are typically steeped in tradition and have had a longer time (historically) to reflect on religion and matters of the spiritual.
    Me included, Americans are too busy working, shopping, stressing, play video games, basically chasing the materialistic to concern themselves with religion on the whole. Just my observations recently.........Americans our a people losing their way politically and spiritually. We know more about who got kicked off the latest reality show then what are religious and political leaders are up to. Sad but true......

I agree wholeheartedely with you. That is exactly how the powers that be want it. The want us to be concerned with trivial things like video games (nothing wrong with them in moderation), reality tv, the latest hair styles, etc and not with doing things to better our mind, body and spirits. They last thing they want is a society of well educated people capable of critical thinking.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bodyelectricmethod's Items on eBay

how is this anything big? 85% or more are religious, that is a huge number. you must remember that 15% will include agnostics and people who don't care.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

...and America has never been in worse shape.

SCF Rewards
    Country

how about using the census? the gallop poll can swing all over the place.

http://www.census.gov/compendia/stat...es/12s0075.pdf

according to the numbers it is 15% and nearly 12,000,000 did not answer

Shrew, the Census is from 2010....if you look at the chart I posted you will see that in just 3 years, the line has gone UP from 17% to 20%.

This is the latest data.

Congrats! You want some sort of award for converting all these people?

Who is converting?

Most of these non-religious people STILL believe in some sort of god.

What they DON'T do anymore is be religious.

I think this is a sign of a serious problem within religion especially the big 3. Instead of practicing hatred, division and bigotry they need to be preaching a message of love, forgiveness and tolerance. As long as they keep doing what they do those numbers will only increase.

You're the only one that was brave enough to address the real problem.

And yes, I agree....the "big 3" have a big problem right now, and if they don't address it, (instead of blaming it on everything BUT themselves) the numbers will keep decreasing.

how is this anything big? 85% or more are religious, that is a huge number. you must remember that 15% will include agnostics and people who don't care.

Shrew, you don't get it.

Just look at the chart I posted, look at that line!

It's steadily going upwards, quicker than ever before.

There's a reason for this....Religion has failed the masses.

Instead of preaching the works of Jesus, the loudest churches preach hate towards gays, division, and of course damnation.

Don't listen to an atheist....listen to a fellow christian (Veggie) he shares the same sentiments.

...and America has never been in worse shape.

I sincerely....And I really mean this.....hope that you are joking.

Because ironically enough, I mentioned that in the 1930s the number of non-religious in the U.S was at 5%.....this was arguably one of (if not the WORST) moment in the history of the U.S. (Of course I'm talking about the great depression).

Furthermore, Canada is much more non-religious than the U.S and you guys seem to be doing just fine.

And lastly, YOU have said in previous posts that you do not consider yourself religious, in fact you frown upon religion.

I hope your comment isn't a reflection of the way you feel about my personal feelings toward religion.....the numbers I have posted on here are very real, and they are a reflection that Americans are abandoning religion.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

And what are the numbers on school shootings, divorce rates and teen suicides comparing now with the 1930s?

Or is the economy everything to you?

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast