Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I agree about Cy Young, especially considering that pitchers rarely throw complete games anymore. So even if a starting pitcher's team wins the game, there's a good chance the starter didn't earn the win.

Winning 20 games now is a big deal. To win 30 would be almost unheard of. To win 20 consistently is a big deal now. I don't know how many pitchers will even win 300 now.
    Collecting pre-war, vintage and modern baseball cards.
    Currently working on the T206 set, 1975 Topps, master collections of Roberto Clemente and Robin Yount.

Quote Originally Posted by ProspectorDave View Post
    Before Welch, the last to win at least 26 was Steve Carlton, who won 27 games in 1972. 41 years ago.
    And on a team that only went 59-97 (32-87 in games Carlton had no decision), that's just sick.

Records that we will never see get broken... Wins, Triples, K's by a pitcher, complete games, consecutive games played, batting average, innings pitched. We will almost never see a .400 season or a 30 win season

I don't know, I think we could see a .400 hitter. Tony Gwynn was 4 hits shy of hitting .400 in 1994. It can be done.
    Currently working on the T206 set, 1975 Topps, master collections of Roberto Clemente and Robin Yount.

56 game hit steak, but there are many records that look to be unbeatable

Joe Sewell and his career 114 strikeouts in 7,132 at bats or going 115 games without striking out. Or playing the 1932 season striking out only 3 times in 503 at bats. How about playing from 1925-33 and never reaching double digits in strikeouts. It should also be mentioned he played in 1,103 consecutive games 2nd to only Everett Scott up to that time.

Theoretically someone could hit in 56 games in a row, or amass a career total of hits over 4256, but will anyone ever win 500 games again? No. I'd be shocked if someone reached 400. It is safe to say Cy Young's record will stand the test of time. Second, it has to be Ripken. It's unimaginable to think of a player playing 2632 games in a row in a game where days off are so likely. There are players who could do it though. Maybe. A slim chance but maybe.

Cy Young's record will never be broken unless we revert back to the days of 3-4 man rotations and high pitch counts.
    "The Mets have shown me more ways to lose than I even know existed" -Casey Stengel
    Let's go: Mets/Giants/Knicks/Rangers/Wild/Chelsea/Rutgers
    Autographs of Larry Walker, Yadier Molina, Jason Simontacchi, and So Taguchi Wanted!
    Hidden Content

metsmagic18, I don't know if we're going to see any more 300 game winners, either. Andy Pettitte isn't getting 52 more wins. Roy Halladay isn't getting 99 more. The guy with the best chance to do it is C.C. Sabathia. He's 32 (will be 33 in July), and he's still 105 wins away. Not going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by lambeausouth View Post
    metsmagic18, I don't know if we're going to see any more 300 game winners, either. Andy Pettitte isn't getting 52 more wins. Roy Halladay isn't getting 99 more. The guy with the best chance to do it is C.C. Sabathia. He's 32 (will be 33 in July), and he's still 105 wins away. Not going to happen.
    I'm not saying that CC will do it primarily because of his weight issues in my opinion but he is ahead of Maddux and Clemens in wins by age 30 in an article I say the other day. Those guys went on to win way more games than 300 so it isn't out there that he could squeak by with 300-310 wins to join the club.
    Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

Country
    Card Cash
    Savings
    Transferred Feedback
    Bench (22)

View my Inventory New
    View my store Beta
    Gotta love the long ball.Barry Bonds 73/762
    Custom Card Showcase
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Brooks Robinson's hitting into 4 career triple plays. Oops.
    Supercollecting: Bert Blyleven

Follow my Allen and Ginter Obsession here: Hidden Content

(Don't Even Click Here It's So Outdated) Photobucket: Hidden Content

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast