Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

As SCOTUS is gearing up for a landmark decision, which side of history are you on?

Unless you are living under a rock, all of you must already know that the SCOTUS is getting ready to rule on what might be one of the biggest cases in recent memory.

There are two cases at play.

>The Constitutionality of the ban on gay marriage in California (Proposition 8)

>The Constitutionality of DOMA (Defense of Marriage Act)

These two cases are so important because the result will make a precedent to how this country views "Marriage" from now on.

For example....IF SCOTUS rules that DOMA and the ban on marriage in California are BOTH unconstitutional.....then that leaves the door WIDE OPEN for a federal law making gay marriage on equal standing as "straight marriage" (I'm sorry, I have no other words to call it).

So here is the question I ask to all of you, what side of history will you support?

Pretend each of you are Supreme Court Justices.....your only allegiance is to the constitution of the United States.

We have talked endlessly on here that there are NO good reasons....NOT ONE....why gay couples should not be able to marry in a secular society.

The ball is literally in SCOTUS courtroom.....however, as spectators we get to root....I for one will root on the side of equality.
    Last edited by JustAlex; 03-17-2013 at 01:01 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

BTW....just so everyone knows....these are the key dates:

SCOTUS will be hearing California's Prop 8 case on March 26.

And the DOMA Case on March 27.

Many constitutional experts have predicted that BOTH cases will be ruled unconstitutional....but the final say will go to SCOTUS.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See mugatu471's Items on eBay

Hopefully they do the right thing and gay marriage will eventually be made legal.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I come down firmly in the middle.

1) I do not support gays having the "right" to marry. Nobody has the right to marry. The government needs to stay out of creating laws that give a "right" to marry.
    2) I support gays having the ability to marry without infringement by legal or government entities. Just like the government should not be legalizing a marriage, it should not be preventing it either.
    3) If gay marriage is "legalized" I do not support the follow-up litigation that I know will come when gays want to get married in a church and the church refuses. Any legalization of gay marriage should include clarification that legalizing of gay marriage does not include a right to be married anywhere by anyone of their choosing. One persons rights should not infringe on those of another.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

If I was on the SCOTUS I would have no choice but to rule the gay marriage ban unconstitutional. There is no secular nonreligious reason for banning gay marriage. And no christians the world will not come to an end because gay marriage becomes legal just like it did not come to an end when interracial marriage became legal.
    Drug and smoke free trading.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

I come down firmly in the middle.

1) I do not support gays having the "right" to marry. Nobody has the right to marry. The government needs to stay out of creating laws that give a "right" to marry.
    2) I support gays having the ability to marry without infringement by legal or government entities. Just like the government should not be legalizing a marriage, it should not be preventing it either.
    3) If gay marriage is "legalized" I do not support the follow-up litigation that I know will come when gays want to get married in a church and the church refuses. Any legalization of gay marriage should include clarification that legalizing of gay marriage does not include a right to be married anywhere by anyone of their choosing. One persons rights should not infringe on those of another.

Agreed with points 2&3.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Denver Broncos Montreal Canadiens Milwaukee Brewers
    See dmdean81's Items on eBay

Or just leave it up to the states and leave the federal government out of it...Then a state like mine, Iowa, will allow equal marriage.

I'm all for legal gay marriage, but what I'm not fine with is forcing churches to perform these services...

SCF Rewards
    Country

Or just leave it up to the states and leave the federal government out of it...Then a state like mine, Iowa, will allow equal marriage. The feds have to take charge. Married couples get certian tax breaks. If a state denies to consenting adults from getting married they are also denying them federal tax breaks.

I'm all for legal gay marriage, but what I'm not fine with is forcing churches to perform these services... agreed

responses in bold.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Denver Broncos Montreal Canadiens Milwaukee Brewers
    See dmdean81's Items on eBay

That's true, but not every state has the same exact tax rates either. Some states have no sales tax, some no income tax, some no property taxes. I would agree with you if every state had the exact same taxes. There are advantages and disadvantages to every state.

SCF Rewards
    Country

That's true, but not every state has the same exact tax rates either. Some states have no sales tax, some no income tax, some no property taxes. I would agree with you if every state had the exact same taxes. There are advantages and disadvantages to every state.

Right but everyone must file a federal income tax regardless of the state you reside in.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast