Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

Post PETA killed 90% of the animals handed over to their Viriginia HQs last year

http://www.dailymail.co.uk

Animal rights charity PETA killed almost 90 per cent of dogs and cats placed in the care of the shelter at its Virginia headquarters last year, it has been revealed today.

The charity, well-known for attention grabbing publicity campaigns such as the 'I'd rather go naked' anti-fur campaign, euthanized 1,647 cats and dogs last year and only placed 19 in new homes according to the data submitted to the Virginia Department for Agriculture and Consumer Services.

PETA told Mail Online that the animals they take in at the center are 'unadoptable', however 89.4 per cent of pets is much higher than their own approximation that half of animals taken to shelters end up being euthanized.

According to the statistics 1,110 cats and 733 dogs were handed in to the charity in 2012.

22 cats and 108 dogs were transferred to another shelter, two cats and three dogs were reclaimed by their owner while 1,045 cats and 602 were euthanized.

34 cats and 7 dogs were placed under a category entitled 'Miscellaneous'.

A PETA spokeswoman told MailOnline that they had no choice but to euthanize the animals.

'We have a small division that does hands-on work with animals, and most of the animals we take in are society's rejects; aggressive, on death's door, or somehow unadoptable,' she said.

It said in some cases euthanasia is a necessary evil and PETA is willing to do 'society's dirty work'.

'As long as animals are still purposely bred and people aren't spaying and neutering their companions, open-admission animal shelters and organizations like PETA must do society's dirty work. Euthanasia is not a solution to overpopulation but rather a tragic necessity given the present crisis,' it said.

In response to the post, supporters of the charity were torn on the issue but many said a charity in its position on issues such as medical testing, the fur trade and as advocates for veganism should never allow the killing of healthy animals over a lack of suitable home.

Last edited by pwaldo; 03-21-2013 at 11:04 AM.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

I hate PETA. They're a group that cares more about grabbing attention. However, I can see their claims being somewhat legitimate in this case.

I do hate PETA though.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Ya I dont like PETA either, but, lol......... I think about the ban we put in place against killing horses. The entire result was that these poor animals spend their last days in the back of a truck with dozens of others being transported across the border to be killed. It would be better for THEM if they were put down here. I applaud any one or institution that thinks comprehensively especially when its in the best interest of animals that cant speak for themselves. In no way do I condone the 90% though. Too many people within PETA are getting rich and are huge publicity grabbers.

SCF Rewards
    Country

lol....don't like PETA either.

I don't know anyone that does.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

lol....don't like PETA either.

I don't know anyone that does.

I guess you don't know me then.

Seriously though Peta just like any other organization has its share of faults, but you have to admit they do a lot for animal rights and veganism even though their methods are often times over the top.
    Drug and smoke free trading.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

Seriously though Peta just like any other organization has its share of faults, but you have to admit they do a lot for animal rights and veganism even though their methods are often times over the top.

They did once. Now they just seek attention, nothing more. It's at the point where they're no different from the NRA.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Pittsburgh Steelers Pittsburgh Pirates Boston Red Sox
    Twitter: @MadMan_Of_Metal See ultimatesteelersfan1964's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale

PeTA is the worse organization attempting to help animals. This is just once case among so many. Go here and see for yourself...after this is you still support then after reading this....

Why PeTA kills!

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Twitter: @MadMan_Of_Metal See ultimatesteelersfan1964's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale

Who is Really Standing for the Animals

Another good article

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Maybe you should ask them this ...
    Where do they stand on the banning of gas chambers?
    Where do they stand on building the No Kill Nation ?

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

By the way a piece of advice for all...

If you wish to donate to assist animals give to your local Shelters and NOT the national ones. They need the assistance more and it will stay in your local area to help a pet fine their new forever home.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast