Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    paypal.com/shipnow. No need for a peanut. Print out your label (with dc automatically included for 17 cents iirc).
    Hidden Content
    Formerly lambeausouth
    Hi, I'm Bill. Cheesehead by birth. Packer and Brewer fanatic by choice.
    I will treat all SCF members with respect. I ask that you please do the same.

Last edited by RJK214; 03-22-2013 at 05:07 AM.
    During the months March-October, Trades can take up to 10 days to be sent out as I have a job that rarely allows me free time while the sun is up!! Although I normally try to ship within 3-4 days...
    Collecting the following: *2010-2013 Heritage SP's, Chromes, Chrome Refractors * Derek Jeter * Joey Votto * Mike Trout * Buster Posey * Stephen Strasburg

So once again today, second time now in less than 10 days. I received a package, well sort of.. Had a letter that says I owed $1.41 to pick up the package @ the post office.. Must be people are sending packages for $.66 as a first class letter instead of as first class parcel.. You cannot send bubble mailers as a first class letter!
    During the months March-October, Trades can take up to 10 days to be sent out as I have a job that rarely allows me free time while the sun is up!! Although I normally try to ship within 3-4 days...
    Collecting the following: *2010-2013 Heritage SP's, Chromes, Chrome Refractors * Derek Jeter * Joey Votto * Mike Trout * Buster Posey * Stephen Strasburg

Sometimes at my post office they will classify the bubble mailer as a non-machinable letter if it fits through the slot in their cardboard template (that they keep behind the counter). This is pretty much only when I am sending a single card in a top loader and thin bubble mailer, and it's only a 20 cent additional charge to the regular postage price, which still ends up being less than a dollar.

There is one person at the post office that always rings it up as a small package for $2.07 shipping, even if it's only the one card/top loader/bubble mailer. Usually I try to avoid them if I can since the others only charge the lower amount.

I wonder if the receiver's post office would ever charge the receiver of the package for a postage shortage if the sender's post office was originally the one that determined what the postage should be.

The bolded is EXACTLY the problem....it is totally up for interpretation. At my post office, a single card in a toplaoder and team bag inside a bubble mailer is less than $1.00--like $.70 cents or something like that--as long as it fits through the slot checker thingy they have.

The problem comes in because not all postal employees view a bubble mailer as a standard envelope and automatically upcharge you. It gets even worse when they try out their detective duties on the mailer thickness and claim it is not thick enough for the DC# and try and upcharge even more to Priority.

Also, as mentioned below, it goes through the same checkpoint on the other end, even if it is a USPS Price Label on it--if they dont think it is correct or calculated by the sending post office wrong, they will add the additional postage due....so even if your post office allows to ship this way, the post office on the receiving end may not and there is nothing you can do about it.

Basically it comes down to a 50/50 shot at sending out a card in a bubble mailer as a regular non-machined envelope at the .70 cents.

I have even asked several postal masters in my area and their explanations also differed on how they view the bubble mailers.

KC

Quote Originally Posted by mberger718 View Post
    Sometimes at my post office they will classify the bubble mailer as a non-machinable letter if it fits through the slot in their cardboard template (that they keep behind the counter). This is pretty much only when I am sending a single card in a top loader and thin bubble mailer, and it's only a 20 cent additional charge to the regular postage price, which still ends up being less than a dollar.

There is one person at the post office that always rings it up as a small package for $2.07 shipping, even if it's only the one card/top loader/bubble mailer. Usually I try to avoid them if I can since the others only charge the lower amount.

I wonder if the receiver's post office would ever charge the receiver of the package for a postage shortage if the sender's post office was originally the one that determined what the postage should be.
    Last edited by tekc8083; 03-27-2013 at 04:45 PM.
    My Bucket
    Hidden Content

NOW TAKING CONSIGNMENTS, TOP RATED PLUS POWER SELLER. CONTACT ME FOR DETAILS AND WATCH YOUR ITEMS SELL WITHOUT DOING ANY WORK!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lambeausouth View Post
    paypal.com/shipnow. No need for a peanut. Print out your label (with dc automatically included for 17 cents iirc).
    This is not 100% True---it MUST be 3/4 inch thickness (I think) for it to go first class w/DC# otherwise, they upcharge you to Priority which ends up being like an additional $3.00---it is rare, but it has happened.

My process is to cut up all the bubble mailers I get incoming from purchases and I stuff 1 piece around the card and ship that way...always well under my 3 oz and always over my 3/4 inch and it costs me nothing extra but maybe 5 secs of my time.

But ALWAYS use PAYPAL shipping w/DC--it is $1.70 vs. $2.39 now or something if you ship at the Post Office
    My Bucket
    Hidden Content

NOW TAKING CONSIGNMENTS, TOP RATED PLUS POWER SELLER. CONTACT ME FOR DETAILS AND WATCH YOUR ITEMS SELL WITHOUT DOING ANY WORK!!!

I use Paypal.com/shipnow and it costs $1.69 vs. the $2.07 @ the PO.. I just think if you are going to try and beat the system using the bubble mailer and ship it for the $0.66 or whatever, why not just send it in a regular PWE, at least then the receiver doesn't get f*cked... Lol

I am just not very happy with having to pay the extra $1.41 twice now in less than 10 days..

Quote Originally Posted by RJK214 View Post
    I use Paypal.com/shipnow and it costs $1.69 vs. the $2.07 @ the PO.. I just think if you are going to try and beat the system using the bubble mailer and ship it for the $0.66 or whatever, why not just send it in a regular PWE, at least then the receiver doesn't get f*cked... Lol

I am just not very happy with having to pay the extra $1.41 twice now in less than 10 days..

If these were ebay purchases I would ding them on their DSR Stars and/or contact them and ask to at the very least refund what you had to pay.....in the end, it is the seller's responsibility to deliver the card to the buyer for the price they paid-----and even worse is if you paid $3.00 or so shipping on ebay to have them send it via .66 cents with postage due--that is unacceptable.

KC
    My Bucket
    Hidden Content

Country
    Card Cash
    Savings
    Transferred Feedback
    Blowout (34)

View my Inventory New
    View my store Beta
    I have had this argument with a least 6 different post offices.. They have no clue what the rule is.. A couple around me wont even take a PWE as PWE they say it is too rigid and charge the 2.07 and some send it right through with a Forever stamp and other charge the extra .20 for non machinable.. Its a joke.. I had it out with them one day and dnt you know that package never got received.. Surprise..... Anyway I use paypal ship now too with a little $10 scale I bought on Ebay.. Seems to work the best..
    Always looking for new Dodger Items!

Hidden Content Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by tekc8083 View Post
    This is not 100% True---it MUST be 3/4 inch thickness (I think) for it to go first class w/DC# otherwise, they upcharge you to Priority which ends up being like an additional $3.00---it is rare, but it has happened.
    Anything over 1/4" can be shipped with DC

Quote Originally Posted by RJK214 View Post
    So once again today, second time now in less than 10 days. I received a package, well sort of.. Had a letter that says I owed $1.41 to pick up the package @ the post office.. Must be people are sending packages for $.66 as a first class letter instead of as first class parcel.. You cannot send bubble mailers as a first class letter!
    You can send bubble mailers as a first class letter if they are less than 1/4" thick and they pass the rigidity test (rigidity is up to personal interpretation, what I consider rigid my wife does not and so it goes).

I would want to know if sender is just putting postage on it or are they going to the PO and the PO is setting the postage. If the sender is going to the PO the problem could be your PO. I would want to know why (over 1/4" thick or too rigid) and where the decision is being made to require extra postage. If the problem is at your PO, you need to come to an understanding about how they will interpret the rules.

If your PO says anything with a top loader in it, even a PWE, is rigid and cannot be a first class letter you need to make that known to other traders. Should this be the case, you need to put in your signature that your {guess you can't say that - same as donkey) postmaster is trying to save the postal service by considering anything mailed with a top loader in it a large envelope/small package therefore you will not accept PWE trades.

I do many PWE trades with $0.66 postage, but I always go to the PO to get their blessing and they put the postage print out thing on them not stamps. I would be pissed if I sent you a PWE and you contacted me that I was $1.41 short on postage .
    Last edited by bullrat; 03-28-2013 at 01:07 PM.
    I use BV when trading and I don't CMB. Seems most buckets have pictures of dogs and birthday parties - anyone else feel the same?Hidden Content Now LETS TRADE

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast